2022 Spring Bears

My wife drew a bear tag in southern Utah. We set baits this weekend.

20220507_122638.jpg
This is bait site #2. We did a bunch of hiking/scouting and my wife found her first elk shed horn!
20220507_082158.jpg
We set up another bait site that I like a bit more! It was a long weekend of carrying popcorn, dogwood and fryer grease.
20220507_093433.jpg
I'll upload pics as I get them from the bait sites!

He was 6'2" tip of nose to base of tail, squared was 6'5". No clue on the skull.
I would have guessed bigger than that so I'm assuming that's before skinned? If so, that sounds more like it. Most people skin them out, including skull, and lay flat, measuring nose to tail tip and claw to claw, without moving the hide at all between measurements. It's consistent, anyway. Regardless, that thing is great big. congrats.

He keeps knocking my camera over and chewing it he will become big enough

I threw a juice box at a small bear who climbed up on a tree high enough to reach my trailcam once, it's the first heavy object I could reach in my treestand as the "HEY HEY!!! NO! NO! F*** YOU!!!" weren't enough. He got hit right in the flank as he started chewing on my camera. Pretty happy I was there for that one, the previous camera suffered a much different fate...

My wife drew a bear tag in southern Utah. We set baits this weekend.

View attachment 221984
This is bait site #2. We did a bunch of hiking/scouting and my wife found her first elk shed horn!
View attachment 221985
We set up another bait site that I like a bit more! It was a long weekend of carrying popcorn, dogwood and fryer grease.
View attachment 221986
I'll upload pics as I get them from the bait sites!

Great choice of bait!

I had a bunch of oats and peas this year and with everything going up in price I ended up doing a 1/3 peas, 1/3 oats and 1/3 cheapo dog food. All that mixed in with used frying oil!!!

Great choice of bait!

I had a bunch of oats and peas this year and with everything going up in price I ended up doing a 1/3 peas, 1/3 oats and 1/3 cheapo dog food. All that mixed in with used frying oil!!!
Oats are crazy expensive so I have been straight popcorn and bread and pastries. Running 50 gallons of bread and what not and 50 gallons of popcorn. Should have grabbed some cheap dog food when I was in the city

Got all but one bait in! Packed at least 20 some miles on foot over a few days, blazed trails, river crossings, just a crazy spring but.......... All but one bait is in. I set one 10 days ago in a new area, had a great boar come in, hit the barrel real lightly, and walked off. Went in and kind of rebaited yesteday, still a lot of bait but put some extra in. Hoping he comes back, he's a dandy, but I've seen these big boars smash baits, and stick around, and I've seen them tap it, never to be seen again.

But, glad to see that site got it within a week. It looks to be a good one, especially if that dude comes back.

Oats are crazy expensive so I have been straight popcorn and bread and pastries. Running 50 gallons of bread and what not and 50 gallons of popcorn. Should have grabbed some cheap dog food when I was in the city

I had four 50lb bags leftover from last year and two 50lb bag of peas. Mixed 4 bags of dog food between all that with some used frying oil! Going to head back there this weekend to check out my bait and install my camera since I couldn't set it up last trip.

It's a new bait site as my previous one was clear cut and is now void of trees. We'll see how she goes...

I had four 50lb bags leftover from last year and two 50lb bag of peas. Mixed 4 bags of dog food between all that with some used frying oil! Going to head back there this weekend to check out my bait and install my camera since I couldn't set it up last trip.

It's a new bait site as my previous one was clear cut and is now void of trees. We'll see how she goes...
Good luck. Should have saved those peas for deer bait lol

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back