Yeti GOBOX Collection

2021 Spring Turkey hunting

IMG_1730.JPG
Well finally got out this morning. Had high hopes of getting out before light and locating some birds while in the roost. Made the first mistake of not checking what time first light was and got a late start. As im driving through town with light coming up to the east i already felt in a hurry. Only to look down and realize I was below a quarter tank. A gas station stop done and i was fully aware i was not going to make it before first light. Normally i would get very frustrated but I have come across enough Turkeys later in the morning so didn't let it bother me.... too much. Now I enjoy a good calling set up like every one else. But...on the way to my first spot to check for gobbles I come around the corner on the dirt road on state land and here 20yds off the side of the road is a tom in full strut with a handful of hens feeding around him. So much for setting up and calling. I throw the truck in park jump out. The turkeys sensing something is wrong start walking up the hill and go over a knob just off the side of the road. I load the gun throw a reed in my mouth and start creeping up the hillside. I peek over and the tom is doing his best to peek over from the other side 15yds away. His red head sticking up high and a 7-8 inch beard sticking straight out from his chest like I just interupted something. One quick shot was all i needed to watch him rolling and flapping down the hill almost to the tailgate. Now ill admit not much of a purist turkey hunting, hunt but it was a good rush of adrenaline for a unplanned notch of a tag. I spent the next few hours scouting and calling other toms in the thinned timber above with hopes of returning tomorrow morning with my wife.

View attachment 181291
Well finally got out this morning. Had high hopes of getting out before light and locating some birds while in the roost. Made the first mistake of not checking what time first light was and got a late start. As im driving through town with light coming up to the east i already felt in a hurry. Only to look down and realize I was below a quarter tank. A gas station stop done and i was fully aware i was not going to make it before first light. Normally i would get very frustrated but I have come across enough Turkeys later in the morning so didn't let it bother me.... too much. Now I enjoy a good calling set up like every one else. But...on the way to my first spot to check for gobbles I come around the corner on the dirt road on state land and here 20yds off the side of the road is a tom in full strut with a handful of hens feeding around him. So much for setting up and calling. I throw the truck in park jump out. The turkeys sensing something is wrong start walking up the hill and go over a knob just off the side of the road. I load the gun throw a reed in my mouth and start creeping up the hillside. I peek over and the tom is doing his best to peek over from the other side 15yds away. His red head sticking up high and a 7-8 inch beard sticking straight out from his chest like I just interupted something. One quick shot was all i needed to watch him rolling and flapping down the hill almost to the tailgate. Now ill admit not much of a purist turkey hunting, hunt but it was a good rush of adrenaline for a unplanned notch of a tag. I spent the next few hours scouting and calling other toms in the thinned timber above with hopes of returning tomorrow morning with my wife.
Nothing wrong with a hunt like that every now and then!

Super frustrating first week for me. Toms are very henned up and I’ve struggled to find any gobbles after the first 40 minutes of daylight. Tried a last minute spot today midday. Bird gobbled as I shut my truck door and I was able to call him in within about 10 minutes. Nice bird with a 9 inch beard and 1 inch sharp spurs

Hunted public for the first time of the year this morning.
Extreme fog put a damper on the morning. Heard 5 or 6 gobbles, then he shut up. Never could pin down where he was.

At 530am (way before LST) as my dad and I were creeping through the woods, I had a turkey bust out from a fallen tree only 5 yards away.
Scared the absolute crap out of me. Thought I was about to wrestle a bobcat!

Walked around most of the property, finding sign but no turkeys.
Did see some mergansers and wood ducks

Opening day is May 1 for me !! Killing me reading about you guys already hunting !! 😂

Wednesday and Thursdays were all but busts for me. Only heard a few gobbles and most of them off in the distance. Did stumble upon a few birds in the woods, but didn't get it done. Friday I had was able to get within 100yds of one gobbling like they should from the roost. Kept him interested until I could tell he'd flown down; called once more and then waited. Not too long after he came over the hill and through the fence to 30yds. I was home by 8am and it was an hour drive home.
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

The family and I finished up turkey hunting in the eastern part of MT this weekend. Lots of birds around this yr. Got 3 throughout the day Sat and my wife finished it up with a bird off the roost Sun morn

Attachments

• 177528770_4184000754992877_5509666679535942302_n.jpg
    177528770_4184000754992877_5509666679535942302_n.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 10
  • Kristy r5 2021.jpg
    Kristy r5 2021.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Had to get out of the house this weekend since it was for sale and being shown, so decided to take the opportunity to travel to western Kansas to chase a Rio, a new subspecies for me.
Totally new properties for me, so knew opportunities may be slim. First morning I picked a spot I’d seen a gobbler running nearby on my evening scout. Sat a field edge until about 11, battling the 20 mph prairie winds. Didn’t hear a peep or see anything to note other than four young WT bucks playing grab ass. Decided to work a hardwood bottom on my way out when I spied a hen across the road and on a hill. I got down and soon a gobbler appeared behind her. Started calling at him and they turned around and left. He did seem to perk up at my calls but decided the real thing was better. Waited a bit beforeI went about 50 yards around a bend they’d gone and he was just across the road strutting, no hen in site. I repositioned to a spot I thought would be a likely travel spot for him and started calling. 10 min later he started gobbling. First gobbles of the day and I knew my chance of calling him across the road and into the hardwoods was increasing. He probably gobbled 7 times before he finally crossed the road and slowly strutted and gobbled his way into 35 yards when I put the hammer down! He’s a jake with nubbins for spurs but the way he strutted and gobbled you’d never be able to tell the difference and I couldn’t be more thrilled

Attachments

• 2B2EACE2-2343-4811-AD2B-091386F30E81.jpeg
    2B2EACE2-2343-4811-AD2B-091386F30E81.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 4E5A9D5C-BE95-4634-B225-C88715FBA1B6.jpeg
    4E5A9D5C-BE95-4634-B225-C88715FBA1B6.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
Managed to double up Friday night when I called 3 toms in ultra close...... Was pretty stoked until I realized I was along, with two big birds 1.3 miles form the truck. Wouldn't have been a big deal if I had the Mystery Ranch along... but one over each shoulder all up hill was a grunt.... LOL.

Turkey leg tacos for dinner tomorrow... yum!

Attachments

• DOUBLE TROUBLE.jpg
    DOUBLE TROUBLE.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Hunted public for the first time of the year this morning.
Extreme fog put a damper on the morning. Heard 5 or 6 gobbles, then he shut up. Never could pin down where he was.

At 530am (way before LST) as my dad and I were creeping through the woods, I had a turkey bust out from a fallen tree only 5 yards away.
Scared the absolute crap out of me. Thought I was about to wrestle a bobcat!

Walked around most of the property, finding sign but no turkeys.
Did see some mergansers and wood ducks
Laughed because I’ve had to clean my shorts after turkeys jump out from underneath of my feet. How in the hell does a 20 lb bird sit buried and still until you bout step on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back