2021 Spring Turkey hunting

Went back to KS with my 13 year old son to try and get his second turkey. We had turkeys around most sites but just couldn't get them in range. They all had hens with them which in my experience can make it hard for them to commit to to the decoys. Well Saturday night it all came together . Had 2 Tom's come in with same story, wouldn't come into range and eventually walked over the hill to our south. Then one hen and tom heading towards there roost . Thought the Tom was going to fly up but I gave a couple soft yelps and that was enough for him to come investigate. Son made a great shot and high fives all around. I love shooting turkeys but nothing beats an excited kid after a successful hunt.20210424_201247.jpg

@RUT JUNKEY no gobbling or legal birds seen in 40mph rainy evening last night. But beware, if Wes is coming with you I found morels! Went from hunting with a crossbow to picking up shrooms View attachment 180155
We ended up going farther north this year...I was expecting huge numbers this year but it wasnt the case..we killed a couple, but we earned them!! the weather was not the greatest either!! He found a few shrooms, luckily I got him back on track!! Hope all is well my friend!

We ended up knocking a couple over in Kansas and Nebraska...weather was a bit much at times, and as always...Nebraska roads suck!! lol

Attachments

• Resized_20210415_070848.jpeg
    Resized_20210415_070848.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Resized_20210415_071249.jpeg
    Resized_20210415_071249.jpeg
    734 KB · Views: 20
  • Resized_IMG_3365.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_3365.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Resized_20210417_202234.jpeg
    Resized_20210417_202234.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Resized_20210418_095300.jpeg
    Resized_20210418_095300.jpeg
    642.1 KB · Views: 22
In the woods last night. Called every 15 minutes for four hours. 30 minutes before sundown a very sneaky and wary Tom came within about 100 yards and then hung up. I shouldn't have made a sound but I purred a bit and he took off. Probably caught my hat moving above the cloth wall blind. Still a great experience.
20210426_174836.jpg

Last edited:
Well I am terrible. I got set up1/2 hour before shooting time in the area where I heard the turkey gobbling yesterday afternoon. Other turkeys started gobbling a ways off, legal shooting came and went and nothing. about 20 minutes after legal light he gobbled and he was close. 75 yards at the most. I yelped, nothing. Wait a few minutes he gobbled again. He was still up in the tree. Finally I heard and saw him fly down about 5:59. At 6 my phone alarm is automatically set to go off and I forgot to shut it off, but he the turkey shock gobbles to it. I was a little worried because there was a good trail where I was sitting and if he came down that trail I wouldn’t have a clean shot until he was about 5 yards and it would be left handed. But I saw him along the edge in the field. He was strutting and coming in. He got about 2 yards from my hen decoy and let out of his strut. When he let out of the strut he turned and was quartering away from me. As I shot he lowered his head from straight up to straight out and I must of shot right over top of him. I MISSED A TURKEY AT 12 YARDS! He took off flying and in a Hail Mary I shot twice more. There wasn’t even a feather.

I think I’m going to mix a Bloody Mary and just drink the rest of the day.

Well I am terrible. I got set up1/2 hour before shooting time in the area where I heard the turkey gobbling yesterday afternoon. Other turkeys started gobbling a ways off, legal shooting came and went and nothing. about 20 minutes after legal light he gobbled and he was close. 75 yards at the most. I yelped, nothing. Wait a few minutes he gobbled again. He was still up in the tree. Finally I heard and saw him fly down about 5:59. At 6 my phone alarm is automatically set to go off and I forgot to shut it off, but he the turkey shock gobbles to it. I was a little worried because there was a good trail where I was sitting and if he came down that trail I wouldn’t have a clean shot until he was about 5 yards and it would be left handed. But I saw him along the edge in the field. He was strutting and coming in. He got about 2 yards from my hen decoy and let out of his strut. When he let out of the strut he turned and was quartering away from me. As I shot he lowered his head from straight up to straight out and I must of shot right over top of him. I MISSED A TURKEY AT 12 YARDS! He took off flying and in a Hail Mary I shot twice more. There wasn’t even a feather.

Break the curse!

Easier to miss at 12 than 30! Especially some of these new choke/load combos on the market.

Makes me wonder if a O/U won't be the next big turkey gun

Easier to miss at 12 than 30! Especially some of these new choke/load combos on the market.

Makes me wonder if a O/U won't be the next big turkey gun
Thats a bummer @Gellar , but the 'short range' thing is probably accurate. I know my pattern @ 10 yards is like a tennis ball. When theyre that close I put the bead on the wattle where the neck joins feathers, versus base of the skull. More pellets in the breasts, but the bird is still dead.

If he dropped his head abruptly - that still might not have worked, mind you.

An Ontario opening day longbeard for my brother in law (and long time hunting partner). He's been dealing with a very serious family medical emergency for the past few months and this was one of the first days he was able to do something for himself. Happily this 21.5 lb longbeard was willing to play along. We struck him around 11:00 AM and sealed the deal at 11:45 AM. He had a hen with him, but topography and curiosity allowed a 32 meter shot to end the hunt.

oOre6r3.jpg

No luck for myself yet - bird population looks strong though. I've been confined mostly to quick before work hunts thus far with the exception of opening day.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back