Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2021 Spring Bear Thread

Personally, I don’t want to smell like dinner. I’ve done a grease pit with good results. Dig up the ground around the bait and soak with grease. Let the bears do the work for you.

When putting baits out would you think putting a grease drag on boot would work. Thinking of deer scent boot type thing but with fryer oil. Get the process started little faster? I would only have a week + a little when I go out to wy or Idaho some year. A week plus a little is what you tell your wife when it is both weekend on either of week and then work scheduled to come back Wednesday in the following week not Monday and the ability to send a message from the woods.
When I start a bait I like to put some beaver castor lure in the trees and some liquid smoke icing sugar and jello powder

Got my first bear last night!!! Oregon SW tag. 5th bear I’ve seen in over 12 days hunted. That may seem bad but I am figuring it all out and out of the last 7 days I went I saw a bear 5 of those, so I was just getting honed in. Really cool story, the season ends Monday and I had only 2 more nights to make it happen. I’ve been hunting the coast 3 hours away almost exclusively because of the high bear density but decided to go local for a quick evening hunt. I was walking to a gated clear cut and was actually walking back to my vehicle because I could hear trucks on the ridge above me and figured it wasn’t worth hunting. Of course going super slow and listening and glassing the clear cut as I’m walking out, and I hear some branches above and in front of me breaking. I just thought it was a bird, but decided to get my rifle ready just in case because if it’s gonna happen it’s gonna happen fast. So here I was standing in the middle of a logging road and a bear jumps onto the road in front of me at 20 yards. We immediately lock eyes and it freezes for half a second. I immediately raise my rifle and by the time I did this the bear is about to jump off the road and I just led it right off the road with my scope and punched the trigger as it lept off. This all happened in less than a second and I thought I completely missed. I quickly jack another round in and ran up to where the bear was. See zero blood and immediately run to where I can see the clear cut to hopefully get another shot as it crosses the creek and goes up the ridge. I am not seeing or hearing anything so I decided to hike around and look below the road where the bear should have travelled. At this point I am kicking my self for probably messing up my last opportunity. As I get to under where the bear bailed off I see it piled up under a tree!! I was absolutely in shock because I thought I completely missed. Well turns out I completely blew out it’s heart and at 20 yards with a 28 Nosler shooting 175 grain bullets there was a hole the size of a dinner plate that absolutely destroyed both lungs and heart without damaging any shoulder meat miraculously! So I spent half a hour dragging it up 30 yards to the road and skinned and quartered it. And only a 500 yard pack out all downhill on a road which was a godsend! Feel so blessed to have gotten this bear and I don’t think I will ever forget this. And for reference I’m only 17 and was completely solo for everything that night. I can’t say my parents are too happy my Honda Civic smells like a bear currently but you gotta do what you gotta do. I estimated her as 125-150 pounds, and couldn’t be happier!! I attached a picture of where I shot from for reference because it was tight, especially at that range! Congrats to all the other successful hunters, and good luck to all those with tags!!!
D21E916E-FC06-4C48-9667-29B40EBDD640.jpegDE4D6D75-59E6-49FE-AE68-7A9B176077A1.jpeg1FAEF260-309C-4BD0-B57F-2E19BE9EF22F.jpeg37609CB7-D8BA-4FA5-8DEA-E1852F0758CB.jpeg

Got my first bear last night!!! Oregon SW tag. 5th bear I’ve seen in over 12 days hunted. That may seem bad but I am figuring it all out and out of the last 7 days I went I saw a bear 5 of those, so I was just getting honed in. Really cool story, the season ends Monday and I had only 2 more nights to make it happen. I’ve been hunting the coast 3 hours away almost exclusively because of the high bear density but decided to go local for a quick evening hunt. I was walking to a gated clear cut and was actually walking back to my vehicle because I could hear trucks on the ridge above me and figured it wasn’t worth hunting. Of course going super slow and listening and glassing the clear cut as I’m walking out, and I hear some branches above and in front of me breaking. I just thought it was a bird, but decided to get my rifle ready just in case because if it’s gonna happen it’s gonna happen fast. So here I was standing in the middle of a logging road and a bear jumps onto the road in front of me at 20 yards. We immediately lock eyes and it freezes for half a second. I immediately raise my rifle and by the time I did this the bear is about to jump off the road and I just led it right off the road with my scope and punched the trigger as it lept off. This all happened in less than a second and I thought I completely missed. I quickly jack another round in and ran up to where the bear was. See zero blood and immediately run to where I can see the clear cut to hopefully get another shot as it crosses the creek and goes up the ridge. I am not seeing or hearing anything so I decided to hike around and look below the road where the bear should have travelled. At this point I am kicking my self for probably messing up my last opportunity. As I get to under where the bear bailed off I see it piled up under a tree!! I was absolutely in shock because I thought I completely missed. Well turns out I completely blew out it’s heart and at 20 yards with a 28 Nosler shooting 175 grain bullets there was a hole the size of a dinner plate that absolutely destroyed both lungs and heart without damaging any shoulder meat miraculously! So I spent half a hour dragging it up 30 yards to the road and skinned and quartered it. And only a 500 yard pack out all downhill on a road which was a godsend! Feel so blessed to have gotten this bear and I don’t think I will ever forget this. And for reference I’m only 17 and was completely solo for everything that night. I can’t say my parents are too happy my Honda Civic smells like a bear currently but you gotta do what you gotta do. I estimated her as 125-150 pounds, and couldn’t be happier!! I attached a picture of where I shot from for reference because it was tight, especially at that range! Congrats to all the other successful hunters, and good luck to all those with tags!!!
View attachment 184505View attachment 184506View attachment 184507View attachment 184508
Welcome to HT and congrats on your bear!

View attachment 184505View attachment 184506View attachment 184507View attachment 184508
Awesome man, welcome to Hunt Talk. Hope to see some blacktail pics/stories from you in the future

Looks like some great adventures and great bruins out there. Congrats to the lucky hunters that were able to get it done. There's nothing like a spring adventure! Getting to be go time now, got a fun adventure planned hopefully we can turn someone up and drink a few cold ones in the process. Keep it up!

Looks like some great adventures and great bruins out there. Congrats to the lucky hunters that were able to get it done. There's nothing like a spring adventure! Getting to be go time now, got a fun adventure planned hopefully we can turn someone up and drink a few cold ones in the process. Keep it up!
Pretty sure you two are going to need some adult supervision.

Pretty sure you two are going to need some adult supervision.
You wanna be our plus one? I promise I'm not into weird shit....

I'm looking forward to it, taking another hunter with as well who hasn't harvested a bear of his own..... I guess 2 of them if you exclude the technicalities for 1.

You wanna be our plus one? I promise I'm not into weird shit....

I'm looking forward to it, taking another hunter with as well who hasn't harvested a bear of his own..... I guess 2 of them if you exclude the technicalities for 1.
Missing isn’t a technicality 🤣. I’d love to but I’m buried in honey-do projects and upcoming graduation parties. Plus, I’m not sure I’d qualify as an adult.

Running baits for the Gf today. Lucky she is dating an expert bear hunter lol 😜. Real pretty blonde at one bait and two different big boars on my other bait. The coloured sow got herself a new boyfriend after i shot her last one a week ago. I think the black with that black sow is bigger tho
59374753-BEB8-416C-A912-B0CC2AA64885.jpeg
4193AAC6-21D1-4116-8B7B-48BD28E4E7A9.jpeg
0C71D158-F454-4E07-8898-F5BEC8144E1F.jpeg3970547B-065C-4AD0-BCBF-54F78262D936.jpeg

The bears are out there. There are three Cubs with mom in the second pic. Hopefully they’ll grow to be harvested in the future. Be safe out there.

Attachments

• 7ED6F576-D831-485C-B291-9B7C85395B9C.jpeg
    7ED6F576-D831-485C-B291-9B7C85395B9C.jpeg
    963.5 KB · Views: 9
  • D4964CE3-AB73-485B-BB8C-358C6F026456.jpeg
    D4964CE3-AB73-485B-BB8C-358C6F026456.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 9
Just wrapped up or spring trip, buddy shot the prettiest solid blonde i have ever seen. His bear only had 3 paws, look like lost 4th in a trap but was completely healed and walking on the stump. If you look at top pic of me with his bear, it has a stump for right rear paw. I took a older dark chocolate with teeth worn way down. Both perfect hides and great hunt, buddy had a blast on his first bear.
27496.jpeg27641.jpeg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back