Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2021 New Mexico results

Drew a Unit 12 first season archery tag. Never figured that would happen since I drew it several years ago. Hunted that area quite a few times with landowner tags and that one draw tag. The LO tag prices are ridiculous now. Little worried about not having someone to call and especially trying to get one out in the warmer weather by myself.

Drew a Unit 12 first season archery tag. Never figured that would happen since I drew it several years ago. Hunted that area quite a few times with landowner tags and that one draw tag. The LO tag prices are ridiculous now. Little worried about not having someone to call and especially trying to get one out in the warmer weather by myself.
I might be wrong on this, esp since I've never tested it in RL, but I would expect you have at least 24 hours. If you have ice at the ready and work fast, I wouldn't think you'd have a real problem - unless you went past 24 hrs.. But I could be flat wrong on that.

FYI - saw this video and thought you might want to watch too.

I might be wrong on this, esp since I've never tested it in RL, but I would expect you have at least 24 hours. If you have ice at the ready and work fast, I wouldn't think you'd have a real problem - unless you went past 24 hrs.. But I could be flat wrong on that.
You need to get the qtrs (hinds first) off and hanging in the shade ASAP. Then get the tenderloins and back straps hanging. The brisket peals off rather easily. If you down the animal late in the afternoon you have more time to get the meat out. Get it deboned and on ice ASAP. First half of Sept. in central/south NM is almost always very warm, even at 8k.

I’ve hunted the area several years with several different outfitters. I know where I’m going to hunt and it will take a while to get one out by myself. I don’t really need one for anything else, except it’s nice to have someone behind you calling sometimes, if they know what they are doing. I’ve experienced that too, guides that don’t have a clue how to call!

You need to get the qtrs (hinds first) off and hanging in the shade ASAP. Then get the tenderloins and back straps hanging. The brisket peals off rather easily. If you down the animal late in the afternoon you have more time to get the meat out. Get it deboned and on ice ASAP. First half of Sept. in central/south NM is almost always very warm, even at 8k.
That's good advice - and I agree, Sept, esp. first half, is very warm. We live up north and I don't feel a cool down until at least mid-Oct so I would expect still pretty warm down south even then...

I have always used 3 hour rule when hunting in heat. If i cant get meat into cooler or hung in creek bottom in 3 hours after shot: i hunt somewhere else that i can! Knowing i can break elk down in under a hour, that give me 2 hours to get meat into favorable situation. On hotter hunts i will often leave a big cooler in truck or SxS with couple bags of ice (and beverages) just in case. Make meat cooling solution part of planning and you will be fine.

Unit 12 Bulls aren’t hardly talking. Hot and water everywhere. Found a few but can’t do anything with them.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back