2021/2022 Trapping Thread

IMG_20211216_133814825.jpg

Well...first beaver under my belt and it came off of southern Michigan public ground.

Should have taken my pack. Things you don't think of until your lugging one out 3/4's of a mile. Life got in the way for my buddy and I wasn't about to carry in that jon boat by myself even with the dolly. Another day.

View attachment 205630

Well...first beaver under my belt and it came off of southern Michigan public ground.

Should have taken my pack. Things you don't think of until your lugging one out 3/4's of a mile. Life got in the way for my buddy and I wasn't about to carry in that jon boat by myself even with the dolly. Another day.
Your story of not having a good pack reminds me of my brother in law years ago. He lived in the suburbs but was having beaver problems. I sent him home with a 330, and directions on how to set it. He went out to check the trap with his fancy car and had brought a bread bag to bring the beaver home in to keep his car clean. Needless to say he was surprised by the size of the beaver, and the bag wasn't much help.

Had a great experience today, not because of anything I did, but because of another trapper that traps in the same general area. A few years ago I ran into 2 young men trying to trap for the first time. They were super polite and I told them they could trap with me the next year. As the years are going by, they are doing more and more by themselves. Over Thanksgiving they came up and put in a few baits. When they told me where they had set, I told them that they would have to move one of them, because it was too close to where another trapper usually has a bait. Even though he had not placed any baits, I asked them to move it so it would be open for him.
Fast forward to this afternoon. I had to leave the woods to get ready for church. I received a text from them happily telling me that they ran into that trapper shortly after I left and that he gave them some more beaver for bait. Without knowing it, he reinforced for them the need to work with those trapping in the area instead of working against them!
Lots of cat sign today, and got a few cat sets in, and a good amount of fisher and marten sets in.
Jim

Awesome pics! I love seeing the youngsters out on the line.

I have everything ready to set for coons on Tuesday. Going to set 12 DP’s and a few blind 1.5’s on drowners. The water has been in the crawfish ponds for a couple of weeks now. I should have a good catch.

There are several folks wanting a Christmas coon. Yes, that’s a thing down here. The next big coon eating event after Christmas is the Super Bowl.

Awesome pics! I love seeing the youngsters out on the line.

I have everything ready to set for coons on Tuesday. Going to set 12 DP’s and a few blind 1.5’s on drowners. The water has been in the crawfish ponds for a couple of weeks now. I should have a good catch.

There are several folks wanting a Christmas coon. Yes, that’s a thing down here. The next big coon eating event after Christmas is the Super Bowl.
Just curious how do you prepare a coon for Christmas? I’ve not skinned a ton of them but every one has been like a greasy little bear. Do you take a lot of the fat off or leave it on?

Just curious how do you prepare a coon for Christmas? I’ve not skinned a ton of them but every one has been like a greasy little bear. Do you take a lot of the fat off or leave it on?
Remove the glands and fat and roast with some sweet potatoes. Not many eat it around here but I know 2 people that always want a couple coons to eat each year both in their 70s. Tried it a few times not for me although probably more mental than taste. I have a deal with a lady she buys my tanned coon hides for $5 apiece turns them in to kids coon skin caps and sells them for $20 apiece. Just a coon and opossum today but had my helpers along. Finally cold enough I plan on setting for beaver this week.20211218_124227.jpg20211218_123506.jpg

Remove the glands and fat and roast with some sweet potatoes. Not many eat it around here but I know 2 people that always want a couple coons to eat each year both in their 70s. Tried it a few times not for me although probably more mental than taste. I have a deal with a lady she buys my tanned coon hides for $5 apiece turns them in to kids coon skin caps and sells them for $20 apiece. Just a coon and opossum today but had my helpers along. Finally cold enough I plan on setting for beaver this week.View attachment 205899View attachment 205900
Nice! I think the mental aspect of eating a coon would prevent me from it as well. Thanks for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back