2021/2022 Trapping Thread

That’s sweet! I hope to post a similar picture in about 10 days. Our limit is 2 per season in combination with fishers.
Good luck! We can have either two marten or one marten/one fisher

I skipped lunch today to check my traps quick. The creek froze solid the last couple days so my only 2 functioning traps were the ones that were submerged deep enough to not freeze in. Low and behold, each had an otter. I had only really hoped to catch 1 more. We can take 4 per year in MN and I’m now at 3. I extended my lunch break chopping the rest of my traps out to make sure I don’t catch any more. The fun will be over when my wife sees the invoice from Moyles.

Attachments

• F4C41B3A-7725-4384-BD9C-697F79455077.jpeg
    F4C41B3A-7725-4384-BD9C-697F79455077.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
A few years ago I ran into a couple of young men trapping in the same area as me. They turned out to be from out of the area and were trying to trap for the first time. They were extremely polite and we ended up becoming trapping partners each year for the fisher/marten/bobcat season. They will be coming up again this Thursday and once again we will be spending a 8 days running around and having a great time. I hope to be posting regular pictures. In the meantime, here is one of them and their father from a previous year. IMG_20191227_130547093_HDR.jpg
Jim

IMG_20211210_215041677_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Went for a hike yesterday. Ended up only setting 30ish traps. Creek was way up from snow melt and rain. Made it difficult setting bottom edge sets in 3ft of fast moving water in what was a foot and a half tepid stream this time last year.

There was some fresh chewings and mud on a beaver lodge about halfway in but the dam was in about the same shape as last year and not a ton of other sign.

If it's empty traps today I'll pull them tomorrow and move to the marsh with the Jon boat since it looks like we're not due for a freeze up anytime soon.

I talked with a bunch of trappers today and they all were in agreeance that fur prices suck around here. Muskrats were the best and it seems there is a good supply of them this year. I have heard from a few trappers of a person nearby paying $5 for whole unskinned raccoon.

Well, no animal pictures yet as season opens this coming Saturday. But I have the Snares, belisles and boxes, and Snares packed and ready!

Good luck! I’m heading up Friday mid-day. I’ll be targeting marten and hope to get 30 sets out Saturday. I threw together these boxes out of some plastic corrugated job site signs I came across. We’ll see how they work. This will be a family trip. Trapping activities in the morning, hotel pool in the afternoon.

Attachments

• E8D04410-5C62-42E3-BB49-8233632B66B8.jpeg
    E8D04410-5C62-42E3-BB49-8233632B66B8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Well NoWiser,
If you are coming anywhere near baudette, get a hold of me and we can get together
Jim
I sure appreciate the offer. I’m headed up to the North Shore, though. Have a fun, safe season and be sure to post pictures!

Awesome catches ya’ll! Can’t wait to add to the thread.

My trap setting was delayed. The weather turned off hot, (mid to upper 70’s), and I just don’t enjoy trapping as much in those temps.

Luckily I have found some buyers for coon meat. I have enough orders that it makes me feel much better about doing a thinning. Should make enough off the meat to offset most of the cost of tanning what I catch. I am off work and hunting for the next week but after that I am going to set a dozen or so DP’s and a couple blind set 1.5’s for a few nights around the house and on the farm.

As far as prices, from what I am seeing and hearing muskrats should be good, good western coyotes should sell, good western bobcats are 50/50, and pretty much everything else is about as bad as it’s ever been.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to trapping. It's not legal to sell any meat that you have hunted...is it legal to sell meat that you trap?

IMG_20211215_162419033.jpg

Found the mother of all beaver dams a couple days ago and went out and bought some 330's (those things scare the hell out of me). It's probably 4ft tall and 150ish yards long.

Lucked out and found a lodge in a manageable depth and waded out through their punji pit of death to set the runs. The pond is probably 60+ acres. Taking Jon boat on the check tomorrow to explore this massive pond they've made. I've never caught one so fingers crossed. I could hear them slapping at me through the brush.

Last edited:
View attachment 205540

Found the mother of all beaver dams a couple days ago and went out and bought some 330's (those things scare the hell out of me). It's probably 4ft tall and 150ish yards long.

Lucked out and found a lodge in a manageable depth and waded out through their punji pit of death to set the runs. The pond is probably 60+ acres. Taking Jon boat on the check tomorrow to explore this massive pond they've made. I've never caught one so fingers crossed. I could hear them slapping at me through the brush.
That’s awesome. Good luck on your first check!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back