Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2021/2022 Trapping Thread

One of these years I'm gonna do a deep dive and get a bobcat. Was my plan for this year until I decided to build a garage next summer with cash.

Great thread.

One of these years I'm gonna do a deep dive and get a bobcat. Was my plan for this year until I decided to build a garage next summer with cash.

Great thread.
Next year I’m either doing a trip for fisher or bobcat, assuming I get a couple marten this year. That is not by any means a safe assumption, though.

Last year while on a late elk hunt in AZ I ran into a guy who was also from MN, though a few hours north of me. We hit it off and he’s become a great trapping mentor for me to bounce ideas off of. He’s a bobcat trapping machine and I have a standing invitation to go up and trap one with him. I can’t wait to make it work.

Ended up with 6 rats with the kids this morning, out on a easy to access piece hitting bank dens. Two of the better creeks had lots of truck activity yesterday in the parking sites when setting traps so we'll stay out of them until folks wrap up their deer season next week.

Breaking ice in leaky waders suckkkksss...

IMG_20211204_090129654.jpg

F6FA040D-B111-4BF6-9637-AD36EC5599E7.jpeg

Threw a muskrat leg in a natural pocket that looked good yesterday and was thrilled to see a big mink on the drowner this afternoon. Also picked up a 58 pound beaver. The landowner is really happy. I think it’s the last one but I’m no expert. The bubbles under the ice will tell the story once things freeze again. I’m also going to catch an otter in this spot, with some patience.

Attachments

• 7B6315EF-D80C-4BA6-A7DE-423A6CDD9F7F.jpeg
    7B6315EF-D80C-4BA6-A7DE-423A6CDD9F7F.jpeg
    639.1 KB · Views: 30
Awesome catches ya’ll! Can’t wait to add to the thread.

My trap setting was delayed. The weather turned off hot, (mid to upper 70’s), and I just don’t enjoy trapping as much in those temps.

Luckily I have found some buyers for coon meat. I have enough orders that it makes me feel much better about doing a thinning. Should make enough off the meat to offset most of the cost of tanning what I catch. I am off work and hunting for the next week but after that I am going to set a dozen or so DP’s and a couple blind set 1.5’s for a few nights around the house and on the farm.

As far as prices, from what I am seeing and hearing muskrats should be good, good western coyotes should sell, good western bobcats are 50/50, and pretty much everything else is about as bad as it’s ever been.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back