Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

2021/2022 Trapping Thread

I ran a couple spots for some problem beavers. Cleaned one out, then deer season came around. I still have 2 or 3 beavers left to take out of one of the spots and then will get k9 sets out next week. Out of town this weekend for Thanksgiving festivities, then next weekend I have to run down to south Dakota for a wedding. Then it'll be game on for trapping for me!

From now on I’m cabling any set for otters with a swivel or two. I didn’t think anything could survive a 330 long enough to give me that kind of trouble, but I was wrong.

Congrats on an awesome Thanksgiving Day check.

You are spot on with the quoted statement. Otter trapping is the reason why all my 220 and larger bodygrips have 10 or so feet of aircraft cable with a swivel at each end and one in the middle on them. They are amazingly tough and ferocious. I lost one from using wire back in the day and haven't used wire on a bodygrip since.

Okey dokey, it has been a couple of years since I did enough trapping to speak of but I am going to break down and break out a pile of Duke DP's and see how many racoons I can take off of the 100 acres that I live on. Judging sign they are thick, so we will see. I will probably put out a couple of blind sets with 1.5's on drowners on the river just to see if I still remember how to put a trap pan where a coon wants to put his paw. It will be after Thanksgiving before I get a chance to set, can't believe how much I am looking forward to it...
It might shock you how many you end up with, our Louisiana Coon numbers have to be at an all time high from what I’m seeing.

It might shock you how many you end up with, our Louisiana Coon numbers have to be at an all time high from what I’m seeing.
Same here. I wish the prices were back like 2011 thru 2013. I averaged 14 bucks on coons at NAFA during those years and was trapping close to full time during the season.

You guys heard much on fur prices? The two buyers I deal with are kinda in stand still mode not really knowing what’s going to happen. I’ve got 23 coyotes skinned and in the freezer waiting for time to finish them. Might buy another freezer and just skin and freeze and hold till next year and hope for better times

I'm sending them some beaver pelts soon to get a hat and some mittens made. I'll ask them. That would be a good option if they'd take them. I'd even pay shipping to them just to not have them go to waste.
Look up Colt furs, they make runs through the dakotas, Montana and into Minnesota. They have a route they run and would buy whole frozen critters or green skun as well.

Dismal, I heard gruenwalds aren’t doing fur routes this year. A pretty big buyer just to the north of us in MN isn’t buying coon and only very select coyotes. I’ve heard several guys say rats are good. But I haven’t heard a price.
Local buyer is making one run this weekend and then sitting it out for a while to watch market

Dismal, I heard gruenwalds aren’t doing fur routes this year. A pretty big buyer just to the north of us in MN isn’t buying coon and only very select coyotes. I’ve heard several guys say rats are good. But I haven’t heard a price.
Last year was the same if I'm not mistaken. There the only game left in twon here. Both local buyers here are gone. Shame the oldest likes to trap and I'd like to help the ducks and other wildlife out, but we'd be just trapping coons and tossing them aside. Doesn't seem right

Last year was the same if I'm not mistaken. There the only game left in twon here. Both local buyers here are gone. Shame the oldest likes to trap and I'd like to help the ducks and other wildlife out, but we'd be just trapping coons and tossing them aside. Doesn't seem right
Go catch a few and get them tanned. Only like $20/coon to tan. Make cool wall hangings plus the kids would have a ton of fun. I’d send you some traps but the few I have left give a coon way to much room to chew

I’m not much of a trapper, but a co. Worker is. He catches enough coon that groenwalds consider him a large lot seller and they come to his house to pick it up. But the last two years my co workers hasn’t, in his words, “messed with it.” But to him that is still catching 100 coon the first week and then being done. He was pretty down on himself for trapping any this year because he isnt going to be able to sell them. I’ll ask him today if he sold them and what his average was.

Pale, heavy western coyote should still bring some money from what FHA is saying. We'll be looking close at bobcat prices and will not let them go for cheap this year.

My son and I will be starting our second year at it this weekend. A local buyer that I sold to last year called wondering if I had planned on trapping rats again as he just got an order for 5000. Looking at something like $5-7 per. Said not to bother with anything else, as he can't give some of it away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back