Caribou Gear

2020 UK Hunting offer

devon deer

@Watt21 is down for 2020, but he has found in the past that work gets in the way, so rather than anyone lose out I thought I would offer this up, it won't make any difference if Watt21 says he can make it, I am semi-retired so I have time to take another at a different time of the 2020 year.
It's got the same condition, $250 to be donated to a hunting/fishing/conservation group of the winners choosing to be made just prior to their visit, the only exempt person would be @Big Fin ;)
So if you want to go into the draw please create a post stating your interest.
For me the hunt will be for 3 days duration, morning and evening outings, there might be a chance that @leec270 might be able to offer a day or 2 but he is younger and in full-time employment so it might not work out for him.
Quarry is Red/Fallow/Roe, or maybe a Chinese water deer or Muntjac with Lee.
No tags required in the UK, just insurance which can be obtained in advance from a UK based shooting organisation, I can advise on this nearer the time.
At the moment there isn't a better time to visit the UK as the exchange rate is excellent for you (pants for me! can't see me ever getting back to the US!) almost parity between the pound and dollar.
I will do my best to get you on the deer, and probably have time to show you around some places, and meet some colourful characters in my local pub!:LOL:
Here are links to the previous visitors hunt's
I will close the entries on the 1st September 2019
Cheers
Richard

@Watt21 is down for 2020, but he has found in the past that work gets in the way, so rather than anyone lose out I thought I would offer this up, it won't make any difference if Watt21 says he can make it, I am semi-retired so I have time to take another at a different time of the 2020 year.
It's got the same condition, $250 to be donated to a hunting/fishing/conservation group of the winners choosing to be made just prior to their visit, the only exempt person would be @Big Fin ;)
So if you want to go into the draw please create a post stating your interest.
For me the hunt will be for 3 days duration, morning and evening outings, there might be a chance that @leec270 might be able to offer a day or 2 but he is younger and in full-time employment so it might not work out for him.
Quarry is Red/Fallow/Roe, or maybe a Chinese water deer or Muntjac with Lee.
No tags required in the UK, just insurance which can be obtained in advance from a UK based shooting organisation, I can advise on this nearer the time.
At the moment there isn't a better time to visit the UK as the exchange rate is excellent for you (pants for me! can't see me ever getting back to the US!) almost parity between the pound and dollar.
I will do my best to get you on the deer, and probably have time to show you around some places, and meet some colourful characters in my local pub!:LOL:
Here are links to the previous visitors hunt's
I will close the entries on the 1st September 2019
Cheers
Richard

And a good time was had by all! (y)

This offer can be easily included into a family vacation to Great Britain. While you are with Richard hunting, your family can visit historic Exeter and other nearby sites. Richard is a great guy, and is offering a unique and memorable hunting opportunity.

Last edited:
This offer can be easily included into a family vacation to Great Britain. While you are with Richard hunting, your family can visit historic Exeter and other nearby sites. Richard is a great guy, and is offering a unique and memorable hunting opportunity.

Yep, the wife and I made a trip out of it. Hunted the first part (after stopping at Stonehenge first) and then traveled around through Wales and Ireland before winding up back in London.

Hi Devon,

Thank you for such a generous offer. I would definitely be interested in coming over to hunt with you. What time frame would you be looking at for 2020?

What a great offer! My fiance (wife by that time) would love the experience of hunting in the UK.

We were originally going there for the honeymoon but she found the islands of Hawaii too attractive to turn down. We would be down to come out in July - September for a late summer/early fall trip!

Hi Devon,

Thank you for such a generous offer. I would definitely be interested in coming over to hunt with you. What time frame would you be looking at for 2020?
If you check out the seasons for the deer you will have a better idea of when to come over, I'm pretty flexible, see https://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/
Best of luck in the draw
Cheers
Richard

What a great offer! My fiance (wife by that time) would love the experience of hunting in the UK.

We were originally going there for the honeymoon but she found the islands of Hawaii too attractive to turn down. We would be down to come out in July - September for a late summer/early fall trip!
OK, no worries, have a great wedding and honeymoon and good luck in the draw.

Cheers
Richard

Are you kidding me?!
Tell me more!
Cheers
Richard

My great grandfather, like his father before, was a blacksmith in Dittisham. He came to Canada some time in the 1860s and settled in Southern Ontario near Hamilton. His son, my granfather, apprenticed as a blacksmith with him, so that would be 4 generations as far as I've been able to find, probably longer. The other two brothers that came here were boat builders and made some pretty famous wooden boats. Surname is Gidley, which I hear is pretty common in Devon, but not so common here.

As for the fiddling, that's a whole other story. Scottish and Irish as well as Newfoundlander friends and family meant that I heard lots of fiddle music as a kid, got the bug in my ear and it was inevitable. I was lucky to have an amazing friend/mentor who played a very old, local style of Irish fiddling. Its been incredible to visit rural towns in Co. Clare and be able to feel right at home musically.

Anyways, its an awesome thing you're doing here, great way to build bridges across the pond! The hunting heritage in the UK and Ireland is super interesting, great for folks over her to experience that.

Cheers!
Pat

My great grandfather, like his father before, was a blacksmith in Dittisham. He came to Canada some time in the 1860s and settled in Southern Ontario near Hamilton. His son, my granfather, apprenticed as a blacksmith with him, so that would be 4 generations as far as I've been able to find, probably longer. The other two brothers that came here were boat builders and made some pretty famous wooden boats. Surname is Gidley, which I hear is pretty common in Devon, but not so common here.

Cheers!
Pat
Pat, I just out of interest entered your surname into the local phone directory, looks like it isn't that common, only 6 people listed in the whole county of Devon, most are inland locations, one is on the coast in Plymouth.
Thanks for getting back to me, that is interesting
Cheers
Richard

Pat, I just out of interest entered your surname into the local phone directory, looks like it isn't that common, only 6 people listed in the whole county of Devon, most are inland locations, one is on the coast in Plymouth.
Thanks for getting back to me, that is interesting
Cheers
Richard

Interesting! There is an alternate spelling of Gidleigh, but I don't know what the connection is, whether it was a matter of phonetic spelling or a different family altogether.

Interesting! There is an alternate spelling of Gidleigh, but I don't know what the connection is, whether it was a matter of phonetic spelling or a different family altogether.
I know the Gidleigh area quite well, I should, there are many of my family buried in the graveyard!
My family is split, the Devon part were farmers/labourers, the other half were coal miners from the Coventry (Midlands, England) I was born in Devon, my 2 elder brothers were born in Coventry.
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back