2020 Moose

How much mechanic-ing goes on during one of those trips? Those buggies seem great, but also seem like they might break down a bit. Take many extra parts?

Glad to see you taking the kids along. Congrats on the trip, and great write up.

How much mechanic-ing goes on during one of those trips? Those buggies seem great, but also seem like they might break down a bit. Take many extra parts?

Glad to see you taking the kids along. Congrats on the trip, and great write up.
Our trips are extensive off road. We go through everything each winter. Have onboard air, can run air tools, ready welder. Carry common spare Items, pumps, belts, spare tire tube. Sat phone. This year only issue was, I snapped an axle, put me into 3 wheel drive in the middle of our hunt. Had to winch assist twice.
3, 4, 6 wheelers, SxS, even my boots, all need fixing at times. Worked on them all, one time or more. There could be a whole thread on troubles and broken stuff over the years.

winch assist.JPG

Red Fox.JPG

Early one morning, a red fox comes in, to the moose gut pile. Kids are very excited!

While scoping mid day these bears come down a far hill side. Kids are scoping with us. As the grizz drop out of sight, into a drainage, I grabbed the day pack, 300 win mag, hurried for an intercept. The past few years it's clear to us that bears and wolves, are on the up swing. Have taken a heavy toll on moose and caribou. Thinning predators now is an opportunity, plus a few more rugs would be nice. They came out of the draw 380 yards above me. My first shots were with camera. Laying down prone, had some issue finding a good rest. The bears spooked and I missed taking one out.

bear.jpgbear 1.jpg

Soon after wolf howls sounded. We could not see the pack, but they were very vocal. Kyle howled out, and they lit up in return. We were waiting! Watching. After awhile the howls could be heard moving away across the hillside. This was the day of the predators.

It was concluded by giving each kid a bath by creek. Stinking little chimps! Using a heated camp shower, many complaints going in, happy campers clean!

Bath by creek.png

One morning we spot two guys, a good three plus miles away. Scoping the hills, rising coffee mugs in the morning chill. A bit later shots ring out. Four. We swing our scopes and find, a nice bull standing on a gravel patch. I see the bull topple over and many seconds later the shot rang. Dang moose down! The guys pull up and one runs a tape measure across the antlers. There was a pause, then the guy turns to his buddy, high fives, jumping chest bump and a big hug. Good for those guys. The next day, three grizzly and dozens of ravens were working that pile.

3 bears.JPG

Scoping

t man.jpg

small bull

Small bull.JPG

Enjoying hail storm

hail.JPG

I am so proud how my grand kids conducted themselves on this moose hunt. Noisy, yes! No complaints about the cold. We had snow, hail, got rained on. I just heard "I'm hungry" a lot.

Kiddos everywhere

Kiddos.png

Whoa! That's flat out amazing! Awesome photos, story and really cool seeing the young ones out and about!

Congrats on the moose! Always enjoy your posts with all of the great pictures of camp and the areas you go to. Sure does make me miss it up there! Grandkids looked like they were having fun. Perhaps they will be featured with a harvest of their own soon!

Love those rigs.... would like to experience that just once. Hell probably twice!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back