Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2020 Montana Pronghorn 1st Timer - Is it always this easy?

Pondera

Finally drew a region 4 permit. Loaded up the kids and headed towards a couple of Block Management areas. Got all signed in and while driving down the highway saw just the very tip of some horns out in a stubble field. Drove past a ways, double checked the map and then on foot snuck up to about 150 yards. He was still bedded and the wind was at my back. Crawled hands and knees to about 50 yards. A few farm vehicles drove by and he finally got nervous enough to stand up. He never took a step. A .308 caliber 150gr Federal blue box bullet from a .300 Win Mag was just enough gun. A trophy by my book. Blessed to have my kids watching from the pickup and to help skin and quarter. They pulled the cooler out to me in the field so the meat should be primo!

An as they lay photo and the Instagram date stamp photo.(actually kinda like those)
IMG_3794.jpgIMG_3800.jpg

Nice work. And no, it can dang tough sometimes when public lands hunting. Count your blessings and congrats!

Yes it’s that easy. I think that’s why so many people love doing it. Not an easier animal to hunt during all daylight hours. Good buck and congrats.

ditto, no it's not always easy, most times very hard to get in range.

Antelope can be very difficult to hunt and a lot of fun at the same time. That being said what you did is what my friend and I jokingly call "cashing in a coupon". Now the next one or the next several antelope might make you sweaty and cuss and be poked many times by cactus as you crawl on hands and knees trying to get a shot only to run off at the last minute.

Congratulations on a nice buck and having your kids with you to share it with.

That’s an awesome buck! I Was too late to put in for southern Idaho pronghorn and will get on it sooner in 2021. I hope to get a buck this nice! Congrats!

I had it that easy on my first pronghorn hunt... this year, not so much. All the pronghorn that I could find were either firmly planted on private land or hanging out 150 yards on state trust land that was not huntable.

Congrats on a nice pronghorn!

that easy? Sure, on nice unhunted private land :)
That's not normal after the first 15 minutes on crowded public land.

But...sometimes it is and you have to take advantage of those times!

Thank you guys for the comments! I'm sitting here looking out at the snow piles from our second big snow storm and wishing it were as nice as the day I took those photos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back