Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2019 Wyoming adventure

After spending our first morning scouting we headed back to town. My father in law decided his ancient army caught wasn't going to cut it. So we headed to sportsman's warehouse in Casper then had lunch at taco John's before heading back. Shortly after entering back into our unit we found a group bedded in a cut tucked out of the wind. My father in law was able to sneak down top the rise and take his first antelope at about 50 yards.View attachment 114602

Just a little later my buddy was up. I feel like we made the mistake of getting in a rush which resulted in a sib par hit. Thankfully she was hurt enough to allow him to move closer and put a finishing shot.View attachment 114606
Congrats!

We quickly took care of my antelope ate some breakfast and hit the road. It was my father in laws turn again. Not far down the road we spotted a group of 3 bedded in a wash that was in a good position. He had gotten inside a 100 yards when the original 3 stood up along with 20 others we hadn't seen. Thing's got confusing quick as some antelope ran others stared it took a minute for him to settle in and pick one target while making sure it wasn't a buck. Just as it seemed all the antelope would bust and run he fired making a good shot. She ran up out the wash 50 yards or so before expiring and my father in law was tagged out.20190916_092519.jpg

We gutted my father in laws antelope put it in the truck and headed to our skinning tree we'd been using. On the way to the tree we found a lone doe around 300 yards off the road. Not much of a story here my buddy bailed out the truck moved up about 50 yards got on his sticks and dropped her with a shot. We loaded her up and continued to the skinning tree.20190916_103058.jpg

Last edited:
While skinning and quartering our 2 antelope we got a visit from the game warden. He checked our tags aged the antelope and overall was extremely nice and helpful. This was the first of 3 interactions we would have with game wardens that day and each one was a pleasant experience. Big shout out to the men and women of the Wyoming game and fish department for doing an amazing job.

Last edited:
After finishing the antelope we headed to town for more ice and some lunch. After getting back to camp I decided to take a nap before going out for the afternoon. We decided to check out the one area of the unit we hadn't been to where there was some walk in areas. Along the way we found a interesting site.20190915_154027.jpg20190915_154031.jpg

After some sight seeing we got back to hunting to fill our 6th and final antelope tag. Around 5 in the evening I spotted a large group on a piece of walk in. I grabbed my gear and started closing the distance. There was very little cover and as I began to move closer they slowly started moving away. I ranged them at a little over 200 yards got my rifle on my sticks and settled in on the doe at the back of the group and closes to me. My shot was a little more forward than I'd like but the result were deadly.20190916_173110.jpg
Shortly after we were checked by another game warden. She checked our last antelope and we talked some about the deer population in the unit. We saw some nice deer in the area.

We headed back to our skinning tree to finish processing our last antelope. While cutting her up a third warden pulled up he no sooner got out of his truck then asked us if we were the Oklahoma boys we said yes. His boss had already told him we had been checked so he just chatted for a minute and left. Back at camp we had steak, potatoes, and sweet corn for dinner. During the last hour of light I climbed a hill near camp to spot deer and get cell service to talk to my wife.20190916_201302.jpgview from hill.

We slept in the next morning ate breakfast and then broke camp. I had a type 6 doe tag for around Thermopolis so we headed that way. The drive from Shoshoni to Thermopolis is amazing and we were lucky enough to spot 3 bighorn sheep 2 ewes and a lamb.

We drove into our unit and went to check out a couple of walk ins and state land sections that are irrigated. We found a lone deer on the first piece of state we checked. The problem was the field had a irrigation ditch on one side the river on another and it was uncertain if the access to the field would be on state or private. But after a little leg work I discovered there was a small access road across the ditch all on state. Definitely got my money's worth out of Onx on this one. I then circled back around and got the wind right and approached from the hills above the field. As I came over the hill I set up ranged her at 176 yards. I settled in fired and she fell from the way she reacted I immediately assumed I had spined her. I panicked a bit here racked another round in and got back on her. She was now bedded I fired my second shot completely ignoring all the fundamentals of shooting. After the second shot she jumped out of her bed went a few feet and stopped as I was getting on her for my third shot she fell stone dead. After closer inspection my first shot was good but my second just clipped the end of her tail.20190917_141252.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back