Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2019 oregon spring bear,,changes made

dan.kirkpatrick

just about time to put in for spring bear.looks like s w Oregon has been moved into the draw{4400 tags} as well as w blue mts being split up.does anybody know how this will change the draw or points needed this year? I don't think the stats will be very accurate,,go hunt,percentage tags,or hunters trailhead.switching up 4400 tags I think will change the odds a bit as that's a large amount of otc bear hunters now putting in?what do you guys think?

I haven't looked at the numbers and am just repeating what the ODFW assistant biologist told me, but I was told a ton of people were buying tags and not using them. He suspected this was at the urging of sales agents, telling people to purchase a tag before they sold out.

I haven't looked at the numbers and am just repeating what the ODFW assistant biologist told me, but I was told a ton of people were buying tags and not using them. He suspected this was at the urging of sales agents, telling people to purchase a tag before they sold out.

His explanation makes no sense. As it was at least the tags were purchased. Now people will do what they do with all the other Spring Bear hunts. Get drawn (and take a tag out of someone else hand) and then not even purchase it. The hunt I apply for usually has about a 25% un-purchased tag rate yet last year some people didn't draw while a bunch of tags go to waste. Pretty stupid system! It seems to me that if tags are un-purchased by the tag sale deadline they should be sold as leftover tags which is what they are but it doesn't work that way.

over the last few years the s w Oregon otc tag seems to sell out about a week before the limited entry time is due for spring bears {4400 tags} now this year s w Oregon has been added to the spring bear app as limited,,but with 4400 tags it clearly is a bunch more tags than all the other units combined!!hard to tell whats gonna happen this year if eastern Oregon units will get flooded with 1st choice apps or if guys will go for s w orgon as there first choices.i think personally that some guys are not gonna even know it went to draw till its too late to apply..very unknown if s w Oregon is a viable 2nd choice,,{I think it will be to a certain extent}but who knows till the stats come out.

I can't really guess how changing the SW hunt to a controlled draw will effect the odds but I would imagine that most tags will be at least a little easier to draw this year given the change of moving away from actual water resistant tags and many license agents dropping out. A lot of older people in towns that no longer have a license agent will quietly disappear.

Time will certainly tell....

im tryin the e-tags on my phone,but a lot of people don't have smart phone yet,,at least out in the sticks,let alone have it figured out.i have a felling that a few of the good eastern Oregon units may get some excessive point creep from the s w Oregon bear hunters tryin as 1st choice,,but I think s w Oregon will problably have some tags going to 2nd choicers,,,at least that's what im hoping for.

Oregon spring bear reults came out today///strike out for me,,,thought id pull a s w ore as a 2nd,but with all the changes apparently not,,not even my 4th choice,,,oh well.

Dang. I heard a few people drew SW Oregon with second choice. I drew it as a first.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back