Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2019 Montana General Elk Recommendations

BuckeyeRifleman

Hi everyone, I've been learning a lot from lurking on here but I wanted to see if I could gain a bit more insight from some folks who have more experience than I do.

I'm going to be putting in for a Montana nonresident combo tag for the 2019 year along with a preference point. From what I gather, this should be a fairly sure thing with the preference point. I know there is an off chance I won't draw, CO is my backup plan. That said I want to start the planning/scouting process now. I lucked out and drew an Antelope tag for 321 last year and successfully hunted the Robb Ledford this past year. I got a nice Antelope buck the fist day. This was my first western hunting experience and needless to say I am 100% hooked! It was by far the most fulfilling "vacation" of my life.

First off I know nothing of elk hunting as a long time eastern whitetail guy. That said I'm only 32, relatively in shape, and fairly adept at being in the field thanks to my time in the military.

My goal for next year is to simply kill an Elk. I am not a trophy guy, though if two bulls were standing next to each other I'd still shoot the bigger one.;) I'm in this for the experience. I'd still be stoked if I came home with a cow.

I'm not afraid to walk and I'd prefer to not deal with the orange army. I get enough of that crap here in Ohio. I'm prepared both physically and equipment wise to backpack in a few miles and stay 5-7 days to make that happen. I've got a 4x4 truck but no ATV.

I'm an experienced and competent long range shooter as that is one of my other main hobbies. Not trying to start a thread debating the merits of long range hunting, but I feel confident making shots to 600 yards given relatively calm winds. I think it would be wise hunt an area that takes advantage of that skillset.

I'm not freaked out about bears. Though I haven't hunted Montana much I've done plenty of outdoor activities in western Montana throughout my life and am familiar with the necessary precautions. I think the only thing that really worries me is quartering and packing out on my own. (I invited two friends, but have a feeling I will likely be solo again due lack of funds on their part.)

So far I've been looking at Districts 302, 325 and 324. 302 and 325 appeal to me for a few reasons. Relatively open country good for glassing, and likelihood I can use being adept at LR shooting to my advantage. They are also General Whitetail and Mule deer areas. I can take a nice Mule buck if I run into it with my tag, and my buddies might just buy a OTC Deer B tag for whitetail if they can't swing an elk tag. 324 I am familiar with from last year, though per last years regs it's draw only for mulies.

The primary thing that concerns me with all 3 of these districts is the potential of dealing with the orange army and lots of road hunters, as roads seem to crisscross everywhere.

I'm open to any and all input here. Thanks very much for any insight, and looking forward to helpful feedback!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I can't offer much help in the way of hunting wisdom except be prepared to have company. SW MT gets hit hard and if it looks like a road I'd wager there will be a vehicle

You mention wanting to avoid the orange army. This is pretty tough to do in units that have open country and good elk numbers. People are drawn to these type of units for the same reasons that you are. And hiking in a few miles usually won't get you away from competition in these areas. If you hike far enough, you'll just start bumping in to horse camps, or people coming in from the next road (or state). That being said, plenty of elk get shot in SW Montana.

If you can change your mindset of needing to avoid people, and just hunt hard, glass and be patient, you will likely see elk in these units and have shot opportunities. Sometimes the pressure can even work in your favor as people bump elk in your direction. However, if solitude is a priority over seeing/shooting elk, I would look for other units that are steeper and nastier to get around in.

The orange army in Montana is not in the same class as the hordes out east. It's tough to get a mountain to yourself, particularly on opening weekend, but you will still likely have room to hunt. If you can wait until the second or third week, you will have wiser elk but less competition. Keep in mind that the overall success rate is right around ten percent for elk in most units. So the odds are not in your favor. However, that includes a lot of folks who buy a license but don't get out at all, road hunters, hopeless losers like me, and trophy hunters with unreasonable expectations. So your odds, while still not great, are not as bad as they may sound. The nice thing about a Montana license is that the general tag gets you a lot of options. If you tag an elk, or give it up as hopeless, you can still stop off in the Custer NF and harass mulies on the way home, or find a BMA along the Yellowstone for whitetails.

You don't need an ATV. It won't get you (legally) anywhere your truck won't go.

I shoot Palma, out to 1,000 yards with open sights, but I wouldn't shoot at an animal over 350-400, even in perfect conditions with great optics. You may have calm winds, but 700 yards away, especially in the mountains, it can be a completely different story. Not too many wind flags out there. Especially if there is no snow for tracking, a long range "miss" could well be a poor hit, and impossible to find. </sermon mode>

Keep in mind your combo license also includes small game and fishing, so don't forget your fishing rod.

Good points for all. I kinda figured being out opening day would be my best odds, but I've got a bunch of time off work for this, I could wait to come out until a week or two into the season. I just worry that might hurt my odds, I also risk worse weather.

Seeing the occasional other hunter isn't going to ruin my hunt. Just don't want to be on top of a bunch of other guys like out east. Last year I ran into some other folks, super nice and gave me a ride up the ridge on their side by side.

Scubo that was kinda my plan with the general tag and what put MT #1 on my list. Spend the first 4-5 days chasing elk. If no luck there, start looking for mules, with the last option trying to find a good whitetail spot on the way home. Montana is a way underrated whitetail state. Oh, and don't worry, the fly and spin rods are going to be in the truck.;)

As for the long range stuff those are good points... The range I shoot 1k plus is in a very hilly section of eastern Ohio and the wind can do some funky things out there you don't expect. I'd probably realistically be 500 and in, but a nice bull on the last day with calm wind I might push that a bit and still do so comfortably. I passed a few antelope at 650 last year. Could've I probably made it happen? Sure, I'd bang 12in steel at that distance all day long, but I wasn't willing to risk it on a live critter, especially on the first day. I ended up killing my buck at 215 which was a chip shot.

Thanks for all the input thus far!

I've hunted SW Montana the past two years. Great experience both times. Killed an elk one of the years but saw elk and deer both times. Lots of elk get killed opening day. The woods seem to calm down by Tuesday. I would consider hunting the second or third week of the season. I hear there are far fewer hunters then.

Unless there’s some snowy weather, I’d rather hunt either the first week or the last than the middle of the season.

Welcome to the forum, I'm new also around here. My 2 cents is to not be concerned about other hunters. Even if you pull into a campground and there are 6 rigs there everybody seems to spread out and you have plenty of space. Opportunities tend to be fairly abundant in region 3 and I agree with Ridge Ghost...sometimes the best thing to do is sit and glass and let others do the work for you.

Just my 2 cents, but if you want the best elk hunting experience that you can get and you want to get away from the crowds then I would strongly consider going out for archery instead of rifle. Oh and I would turn "that relatively in shape" to "damn good shape." That alone will make your hunt much more enjoyable when you're going day in and day out. Best of luck.

Back