2019 Goals: What are you shooting for?

406LIFE

Top of my list this year is finding a Himalayan Snowcock.

I've been planning this for a few years now, doing my research and bugging biologists. Still want to drop some weight and increase my endurance before I go. Plan is to start at 9000' and hike up to 10,500'. A video by Project Upland may spike interest and hunters this year, but it'll still be an adventure.

Do you have an target species this year? Or a mark you want to achieve? Or something else to accomplish this year?

This is probably a "stay and hunt local" season for me, here in central Washington.

However that means I could easily be hunting for elk, mule deer and black bear, along with upland game. Not all bad for the cost of a few tanks of fuel, a hunting license and a few over-the-counter tags.

Guy

My out of state hunt this year will be a solo backpack hunt for mule deer in Region G of Wyoming. I’d love to come home with a big mule deer, but at the very least I will get to explore more of the Wyoming Range.

My last couple hunting seasons have been cut short because of work. This year I’m just happy to try to get back into hunting like I have in the past.

Kill my first critter with a muzzleloader! A cow would be a trophy. Hopefully draw MT antelope.

Earn a chance inside 50 yards at a 170+ buck with my bow, S&S.

406 life

good for you, that is fantastic. Enjoy

I had to give up hunting a couple years ago and last year I had to quit sailing, so I tell everyone that will listen, whatever you want to do, plan it, do it, life goes by so fast! I did everything hunting wise I wanted to do, except Marco Polo. I wanted to hunt them, but never did and now never well.

Guy, that brown bear hunt you went on last year in Alaska was a very successful hunt for you and the critters you are able to hunt in your back yard every year is very nice.

My goal for 2019 is to accompany my granddaughter ( and daughter and son-in-law ) on hunts to Africa and maybe Argentina. In both cases I will not leave the main lodge, but would still like to be there each evening when she returns. Plains game only for her in Africa and dove hunting in Argentina

Last edited:
Trying to harvest my 1st elk! Again!
This will be my 3rd elk hunt hopefully my 1st in Wyoming.

Last edited:
I'll start with DRAW A TAG. After that, I'll worry about what's next. Hate to put the primer ahead of the bullet (or something like that)...

I've lived with blacktail all around me and unexcusably have never killed one. I'm going on a wilderness hunt with some friends and hope to change that. I will be in Colorado for 2nd season deer and possibly Nevada or Wyoming for antelope with my wife and kids. Elk will depend on the draw.

Minimum goal is that either myself, my son, or my brother in law will draw an elk tag in NM. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Oh, and a spring turkey here in VA!

Hoping to draw a LE elk tag in MT . If not , will keep general and try for my first bull . Will archery hunt whitetail at home and gun hunt with my landowner tag later on . Also have several points I might cash in for a R7 antelope gun tag in MT .

Get my knee back to where I can backpack into the backcountry for elk and deer. I have hit a bit of a plateau in my post surgery physical therapy which has me a bit concerned. Was limited to half day chukar hunts at the end of this season and if I can't get around for more than half a day packing a quart of water and a couple of birds, packing an elk out of the backcountry will be out of the question. Hoping a few pack trips this summer will get me over the hump. Getting old sucks.:p

My goal is to hunt mule deer. Shooting one would be nice. Shooting a big one would be even better.

I may go crazybut he is my Idaho public land goal. He haunts my dreams after last year.

About the same as every year for me.. Try to draw a good tag or 2, see some new country, hopefully revisit some past haunts, put a couple-hundred pounds of meat in the freezer.

I'd like to hunt elk again this year, but shall see how the draws go. I'm in for Wyoming bull, Wyoming cow, and Arizona bull, but all are 30% odds or less for me. If I do draw a Wyoming tag, I'll apply for a couple pronghorn tags to go with it.

If unsuccessful on the elk apps, I'll probably apply for either a regional deer tag in Wyoming or try to snag a leftover deer tag in Colorado. I'd like to do Arizona Coues again this year, but may wait until January to combo it with a javelina tag.

I also have the privilege of taking 2 whitetail bucks here in Indiana, a feat I have yet to accomplish. I get one most years, but have yet to pull the double.

The goal I have every year is to find the equivalent of a shed a day. Going to be tough with all the old grass this year.
I hope to find 5 elk antlers over 160. Have come close a few year so maybe this is the year.
It would be nice to find one mule deer antler over 80. In the past I would find several a year but now days it is almost a unrealistic goal.

For hunting I would like to another crack at the bull I missed last year.

I plan on hunting big game less and upland birds more. I've got two young Brittanys to train over the next several months. I want to chase ptarmigan and chukar for the first time, ptarmigan in CO and chukar in WY. I want to hunt some new units for antelope and deer and a familiar unit for elk. My oldest kid will be taking hunter's safety this year, so I have that to look forward to as well.

Back