Yeti GOBOX Collection

2019 Brockel sausage party ;)

brockel

How many of you guys butcher pigs every year? This year we are only doing two. Had to get them from a different place this year from what we normally do as the normal place didn’t do them this year as the pig barn was starting to fall in from the pigs chewing on the poles. Will be back to our normal place next year after they get the barn fixed. This years new place pigs look to be a little on the fatty side but will know for sure tomorrow afternoon when we start the whole process.

One of my favorite times of the year
1C12F8AD-572A-44D3-8FD4-A4523BA2487B.jpegAB0C5EF1-2EB8-4B73-A52C-42244F8450B3.jpeg

Here in the South we refer to that as a "hog killing" and in older times it was a community or at least an extended family affair. I'm old enough to have participated in several before refrigeration became so commonplace but there are a few people who still have one pretty much every year in order to keep the tradition alive.
For some reason I can't post a link but if interested in the history and process just Google "hog killing".

Here in the South we refer to that as a "hog killing" and in older times it was a community or at least an extended family affair. I'm old enough to have participated in several before refrigeration became so commonplace but there are a few people who still have one pretty much every year in order to keep the tradition alive.
For some reason I can't post a link but if interested in the history and process just Google "hog killing".

When I was younger a lot of our family would get together and do 6-8 on a weekend. This year it’s just the wife and I. Half of one goes to my parents and other half is going to her parents when they come down from Helena

When I was younger a lot of our family would get together and do 6-8 on a weekend. This year it’s just the wife and I. Half of one goes to my parents and other half is going to her parents when they come down from Helena
I remember this from my youth as well. Butchering day whether it be hogs, beef or chickens was always a big family affair. And yes, everything but the squeal was used in some fashion.

That's some good lookin'Pigs.Wish our local shop hadn,t shut down.
Hard to find whole hogs in Phx.My uncle used to raise them then went
to C.C.C. Ranch in Buckeye Az. Cattle,Corn,Cotton.
We used to say,Pound for Pound they are Really,Really round!
So was my boss,but that was between the employees,Ha!,Ha! 🔥

My wife’s family butchers a beef every year, definitely a cool experience. My wife and I would love to do a hog.

Brings back memories of our old farm. I had a sow (Porkchop) that we got 42 lbs of bacon off of. Raising and slaughtering pigs is how I got my kids ready to hunt. We did it all, butchering, curing, smoking, making sausage. It was a good way to prepare my boys for when they would have to dress a deer in the field. I even remember seeing our oldest take an accidental ride, backward, to the bottom of a pen on the back of a small bore. Good times!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanksgiving Day one year on Uncle Bills ranch I climbed into a pen full
of pigletts and started playing and wrestling with them.It came time to head home
and Mom and Dad couldn't stand the smell coming from the back seat.
My clothes were left along side the road and I rode in the back of the
station wagon all the way home. NEKED!.I cried like a little girl.
I hate Thanksgiving at the ranch,they all remember "The Good Ol' Days." 🔥

Back