2016 Idaho Mule Deer - Pack Goat Hunt!

I enjoyed reading along as well, especially about the goats. That seemed like a lot of weight per animal, did the square boxes give them any rubs/sores? The goats have always interested me, and I would have some if I had the land to raise them on. Also not sure if they are worth the investment of $ and time for 2 hunts per year.?.?. Thanks for taking us along!

I enjoyed reading along as well, especially about the goats. That seemed like a lot of weight per animal, did the square boxes give them any rubs/sores? The goats have always interested me, and I would have some if I had the land to raise them on. Also not sure if they are worth the investment of $ and time for 2 hunts per year.?.?. Thanks for taking us along!

No sore's, I don't think they are heavy enough and I did not travel far enough without taking them off and resting or camping, I can see if you go in say 6-10 miles they may develop a sore, maybe not, the goat that carry's them, Mr. Black has long hair, and it seems that since the packs are padded that the actual box does not rub on the goats. and at 32lbs each that they are not heavy enough to have them compress the pad on the saddle too rub. I hope that answer's your question. They are really easy to care for, there are a couple of people that have them penned up in there back yards in subdivisions to use for hunting, they don't take much feed or water and get them out 1 time a week and you will be fine. They are totally worth the time and $ for a couple hunts a year, they are just like dogs basically that hunt and carry your stuff for you. I will be using them at least 2-3 more times myself and I have told buddies that I am more than willing too help them pack out there elk for gas $$$. There are several forums out there that will help with your decision, I can not put up links to those place's but google is a great help. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!
Matt

Sounds like a great hunt! Thanks for sharing. Great pics!

Sounds like a fun hunt, draw area for elk?

When I first got my goats, I too was excited to pack in beer and frozen food etc. But I've since went back to a backpacker's mentality and try to stay lightweight still. It took me a full season to realize that, sounds like you figured it out in 2 trips.

50+ lb. packs is killer, especially for new packers. You'll be pumped when they are in peak condition. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a fun hunt, draw area for elk?

When I first got my goats, I too was excited to pack in beer and frozen food etc. But I've since went back to a backpacker's mentality and try to stay lightweight still. It took me a full season to realize that, sounds like you figured it out in 2 trips.

50+ lb. packs is killer, especially for new packers. You'll be pumped when they are in peak condition. Thanks for sharing!

No, its a general season elk unit, I just drew a late Muzzy cow tag, not sure if i'm going too buy it yet thou, I really like bow hunting elk, I also bow hunt elk in a different unit than this one, so elk were off limits for me to shoot, but I had fun bugling to them and calling them in just for kicks.... There technically not new packers persay, they are not conditioned yet thou, the big black one did great, he's 215 lbs and the 64 lb pack didn't phase him, the brown one is about 190lbs and the 42lb pack was perfect, the smaller multi colored goat is only about 160lb, the 6 gallons of water was alittle tough on him going up hill, I am switching my gear pack to this goat and Mr. Buck is going too carry the 6 gallons of water from now on. I will be going back up shortly to a different unit I think for deer or go farther in, in a different spot in this unit, not sure yet. Got about some time to figure that out and to decide what i'm doing for elk.
Matt

This is awesome!! I just listened to another podcast about llamas and goats being used as trail animals!! Totally cool man.

Looks fun! How do you like your DRT heads by the way? I'm trying them this year and they fly great. Haven't used them on a critter yet though.

Looks fun! How do you like your DRT heads by the way? I'm trying them this year and they fly great. Haven't used them on a critter yet though.

I love them, been using them for 3 years, killed a few animals with them, thing I like there is not much difference between my field tips and the DRT's, also I practice with them out to 80 yards and fly like i'm shooting at 20..... awesome broadhead,
Matt

You no comprende...you said you might not buy your muzzy cow tag because you like archery huntin elk too much. Isn't it archery elk season I the great state of the 'ho? Does that mean that chapter dos may well be an elk hunt??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back