Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2014 Wyoming Mountain Goat Hunt!

Excellent write up! Thanks for taking us along on an incredible hunt. I've fished Christmas lake a couple times, and I distinctly remember telling my dad that he would need to charter a helicopter to get me out of there. It was especially big steep country to a 9 year old.

Wow those are really nice photos, and a great story of a great hunt, congrats!

Thanks for sharing your adventure and awesome photos. That's a well earned goat. Congrats

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I've been playing around with the videos some and have uploaded a couple that I took through the spotting scope. Of course I didn't get my digiscoping setup rigged up until after this hunt was over and then didn't use it during my elk hunt so the videos were taken free hand through the scope and are pretty jumpy, but you can get a general idea.

I couldn't figure out how to embed the video with a thumbnail that you can just click to have it play so I'll just describe the video segments and provide a link.

This is a 1 minute video of the group of 5 nannies and kids that I watched several different days on goat creek. The smallest kid was a handful and was the one that actually fell the day that the bear or whatever was down in the creek bottom when they got upset and moved off.

https://vimeo.com/108913123

This is a clip of the billy that I ended up shooting. He paws some dirt on himself from his bed and scratches his head.

https://vimeo.com/108913808

This last clip is just a couple short clips of my buddy Mike as he was climbing around on the mountain. Also a short clip at the end looking down into Sunlight Canyon. Nothing too exciting, but kind of gives you a feel for it.

http://vimeo.com/108917733

Again, nothing professional about any of these videos, just some shaky footage with basically zero editing. I may try to get some of this put together with music and some still photos or something but not sure if I'll get that done or not.

Also have a few other videos that my friend Mike took that I need to go back through to see if there is anything worth posting and I'll double check my GoPro knockoff camera to see if there is anything worth posting from it.

Way to make a great adventure out of a golden opportunity, memories that will last forever!!!

Congratulations on the successful and memorable hunt. I remember reading your initial posts on options for drawing a mountain goat tag, as that was the year I really boosted my applications for OIL tags especially mountain goat and sheep. Your success in both drawing your tag and getting your goat gives me hope that someday I will draw. Once again great hunt and great story.

This process began for me in 2011 when I decided to get serious about applying for a mountain goat tag. I posted on a few forums and got some good advice on applying in several states and keeping my options open to never drawing a tag and having to end up hiring an outfitter in Alaska or Canada in order to fulfill my goal of hunting mountain goats. I started applying religiously and hoping that eventually it might pay off.

Wow...I missed this thread earlier...This has to be some of the best pictures I have ever seen in a thread. Tough country there....glad you got one.

I occasionally pull this thread back up and re-read it, just for the pleasure of how it was told. Nathan did an amazing job capturing the story of his hunt. For any newer folks who have not read this story since it was posted five years ago, I can assure you it is a good use of your time.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back