2014 Brown Bear Adventure

Critter: when you talk your wife into a G7 rangefinder for Xmas, I'll be the first one to want to come over and field test it with you. Sounds like you didn't have turret dialed for horizontal distance. Don't feel bad - all us clowns shooting turrets have been there - done that.

Just ask Drake4 about my shooting over a sheep when you don't take slope into account. Makes you pretty sick when it took 30+ years to draw a tag.

CG, that is a roller coaster of an adventure! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures - gorgeous country up there! Sucks it didn't end up with a punched tag, but hey, you get to go back and whack one again soon! :D

Matt, sounds like a bitter pill to swallow. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Thanks for sharing, Matt. Sounds like an amazing experience. And how, when people see me miss a huge bull in Episode One of the upcoming season, I don't have to feel all alone. Not that I was looking for comfort at your expense, but since you provided such, I will take it.

Next time.

And here is the reality. Anyone who hasn't missed a shot they have made many times before, can be explained in one of two options. 1) They haven't hunted much, or 2) They are full of crap.

And here is the reality. Anyone who hasn't missed a shot they have made many times before, can be explained in one of two options. 1) They haven't hunted much, or 2) They are full of crap.

No-No-No: It's always the rifle, scope or ammo's fault :hump:

There is a guy in our office that thinks he can buy the next successful shot - never been his fault. In the meantime I'll bet he doesn't get to the rifle range but once a year and never has practiced off a bench.

How many wives have heard this story for a reason to buy a new something or other.

Sounds like a great adventure CG and i can only imagine the patience required waiting in the snow for those bears to make a move. I guess you might have shot the read distance from the rangefinder and not the 'actual' distance taking into account the angle of the hill with your turret adjustment and perhaps the elevation might have been different to where you were shooting the milk jugs back home.
Good luck next time.

So, I made sure that when I shot, I shot the horizontal distance. I do wonder if there is any plus or minus factor built in to the rangefinder or how exactly accurate they are. Probably as accurate as you can be but not sure what happened here.

My Rangefinder told me line of sight and horizontal, the difference was the horizontal distance was 96 yards closer..........that alone told me the hillside was a steep sumbich:)

All I do know, is that I'm going to practice a few of those super steep shots to see how it goes.

Tough to learn on a brown bear, but hey, I guess that's what drives us to come back:)

Thanks for the story and photos. Cool that you were able to get images of him even if you didn't get to bring him home.

If it was the shot angle that burned you - might check out the "Shooter" app for your phone. It will figure all the factors including angle using your phone and give you a solution. Pretty cool app.

By the way, I have that shooter app.......it is a great program. I thought the shot was a slam dunk so I never even turned it on:) Lesson learned.

Critter, do you ever use your GPS to try and confirm distances? With a good topo program, a compass, and the right terrain you can often plot the location of your target close enough that you can confirm/deny the reading off your rangefinder. It takes practice, but I have seen guys get really good at this.

That would be very frustrating being that close and working hard to come up empty handed. I know that feeling all too well. Thanks for sharing though. You helped a lot of people learn a thing or two that will increase the next guy's odds.

Awesome report.

I was tent bound for two different 24 hour periods last fall in SE Alaska, and that sucked. I can't imagine 50 hours all at once.

So, I made sure that when I shot, I shot the horizontal distance. I do wonder if there is any plus or minus factor built in to the rangefinder or how exactly accurate they are. Probably as accurate as you can be but not sure what happened here.

My Rangefinder told me line of sight and horizontal, the difference was the horizontal distance was 96 yards closer..........that alone told me the hillside was a steep sumbich:)

All I do know, is that I'm going to practice a few of those super steep shots to see how it goes.

Tough to learn on a brown bear, but hey, I guess that's what drives us to come back:)

Sounds like you did all you could Matt. Tough way to learn. I could fill a very large trophy room with the big animals i have missed from the past 23 years of very regular hunting, but then again i have hit a couple as well.

If the truth be know i often think about the big ones that 'got away' more so then the animals that made it home with me. I think its a good reminder that nothing is ever guaranteed and helps keep the edge sharp in your skills.

Looks like it was quite an adventure. I know it wont make you feel any better but we all miss. Most just dont post them up for everybody to see and make fun of.

It will be an excuse to go back and try again.

What did you do in the tent to make to time fly by?

Great pics and story Matt. If it makes you feel any better, I've been on 3 brown bear hunts and have yet to chamber a round so don't feel too bad. Just gives you a good excuse to try again. Thanks for sharing. You'll get him next time.

Back