2013 Montana Bull

The truck was packed with gear and I left Reno Friday afternoon (9/20), driving through the night.

On the road again…sing it, Willie!

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,170
Arriving Saturday morning to the starting place I know well, I changed clothes and threw on my pack with enough supplies to last me for a week.

Maybe a half mile from the trailhead, I have my first encounter. I walked right up on a bull and cow……………….moose. Neither of which I have a tag of course. Damn! But at least I was into wildlife so quickly.

An up-and-comer:

Attachments

• DSCN4848.jpg
    DSCN4848.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,159
I continued in and hiked a handful of miles then set up camp. I was fairly exhausted from driving all night and the pack in, so I napped for a couple hours.

I woke to the sound of steady rain on the tent but got up and started the hike out of base camp. Checking familiar places did not hold animals like I thought they would/should but I kept on hiking. And, strangely quiet, I thought. I continued to work my way up a couple drainages with nothing spotted or heard. The rain took a break and I had climbed up on top of a knoll to glass.

Clouds and fog were lifting with visibility improving and after sitting glassing for about 30 minutes, to my delight I see two small raghorns feeding on an open patch of hillside a mile or so away. Surveying the landscape, I think I have a perfect ambush position either out in front or below them – either a great option if the wind doesn’t misbehave.

Not what I came to hunt but check out this little fella…

Attachments

• DSCN4870.jpg
    DSCN4870.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,148
So off I go, down the hill and into the trees below. I find a well-used game trail and begin the side hill trek up the ravine. I had closed the distance to maybe a half mile when I look to my right and across this ravine, I see a dozen cows and calves out feeding. This is getting better! With no hunting buddy to restrict my arrow access, I would gladly shoot a tasty cow instead of holding out for a bull!

Taking care not to be seen, I continue deeper into the ravine and begin cow calling. Instantly, a bull above me responds. Then another. And another. All bugles stepping over each other. So now there are 3 bulls instead of 2. Where did the third one come from? I only glassed two?! Who cares, this is getting better! But I best watch out so I don’t get busted by unexpected eyes…

I slowly continue moving forward while cow calling and what do I hear coming in from behind me, down the ravine? Some odd mewing sounds with no footsteps/breaking branches and they are getting close…so is this the herd of cows from the opposite hillside? Who cares, elk incoming!

I probably waited too long but now it’s time to get serious and nock an arrow. The sounds are getting closer! I spot a pretty big tree to hide behind so I shift over to it and continue scanning the forest. Rangefinder out and snap some data points. Done. Now ready to rock!

About 30 seconds later, around 40 yards out, I start seeing the familiar brown color of elk streaming toward my location through the trees but I cannot tell whether they are cows or bulls. Sweet! Time to clip the release and draw…

At 5 yards, 2 velvet spikes stop and look at me trying to figure out what the heck I am. One thing for sure, they knew I was not a cow and decided it would be a good time to trot off. So I let down. Damn, not quite what I was looking for. No matter, there are bigger bulls to chase but with light running out fast, can I make this happen? I continue up the ravine and get to a place where I can see the creek below and just could not close the 100 yards between me and the bulls before it was dark. So I backed out, hoping they would be there the next day.

Using a headlamp, I made my way back to camp and scarfed down some chicken teriyaki with rice courtesy of MH and hit the rack.

Still amped from the encounter the night before, I woke on Sunday ready to rock and had MH Granola w/blueberries for breakfast. Taking off in the dark, I started my ascent up the mountain to a saddle near the elk I found last night, hoping to catch them in transition.

It was silent except for the crazy squirrels gathering cones.

And this little bastard screaming at me…

Attachments

• DSCN4906.jpg
    DSCN4906.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,133
No responses to calls. At least none I heard. Hmmm, what gives? I make my way to the saddle, never bumping animals of any kind. However once on top, I can hear some really bad human bugling down in the bottom. So I mew a few times hoping for a response. No sooner than I thought, hey, this could work to my advantage if they scare elk to me, I see the familiar brown elk color about 200 yards out in a meadow coming my direction…

Grab the rangefinder. Take readings. Good to go in a decent radius, now just the wait game. I see a lot of cows and calves working toward me, maybe 100 yards out. Then, what the binos show me next, changes my mind about shooting a cow…

A really nice bull is pushing his harem and he is headed my direction! 200 yards and closing. Man, he is hauling fast! 150 yards. What’s the hurry dude? Now 100 yards. Good grief, slow down! There are a pair of large fir trees and once his head is behind them, he won’t have line of sight and I can draw without alerting him…ok, 50 yards, time to draw.

Wait, I think to myself…where is my cow call? I need to stop this bull or he’ll run right by me! Damn, I took my mouth call out earlier! Time to improvise! I holler to the bull but he doesn’t hear me. Or care. I holler again, this time a bit louder and he stops immediately and looks at me, broadside. I gently touch the release and send the arrow on its way…

The arrow found its mark 28 yards later, and the familiar THWACK sound you love to hear rang out. The bull wheeled around and took off like lightning and reconnected with his harem.

This is a good thing...

Attachments

• DSCN4883.jpg
    DSCN4883.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,136
Nice bull! Looks like a big ol body on that dude. There sure have been some lunkers killed this year.

All these nice bulls and lopes are killing me. At least I can hunt a few decent whitetails at home this year.

Congrats on a great bull!

Back