PEAX Equipment

2012 WY Pronghorn

Still waiting for my job offer in WY.

Man those sage country pics get me wanting.

What are his prongs?

Congrats, Buzz. Love the prongs. You and Pat really drew a great pair of bucks this year.

Very nicely done! Thanks for the write up - what about - the gun/load/bullet? (I can't help it, I like 'em all)

canvsbk,

This rifle...rem 700 7mm RM with a few improvements (timney trigger, B&C stock, etc.). Load is 62.0 grains IMR4831, 160 accubond, cci250 mag primer, WW brass....2970 FPS.

IMG_4645.JPG

Buzz, you gave the numbers on your leftover buck, but not on this one.

With all the guesses on this one I'm still curious what the tape ended up being on him.

Still a very nice buck.

Last edited:
I was in such a rush to get home and back to work, I've not had time to really sit down and score him. I ran a very quick tape and came up with 78 and change gross.

I knew he'd not make it over 79, but didnt really care as I liked the shape of it. I always run a worse case and best case scenerio on score and I had written down 76 worse case and 79 best case. I've found I usually fall about right in between.

I passed up another buck in the same general area that I believe would have possibly squeaked out 80 gross, but he just didnt look as good as this one.

I was in such a rush to get home and back to work, I've not had time to really sit down and score him. I ran a very quick tape and came up with 78 and change gross.

I knew he'd not make it over 79, but didnt really care as I liked the shape of it. I always run a worse case and best case scenerio on score and I had written down 76 worse case and 79 best case. I've found I usually fall about right in between.

I passed up another buck in the same general area that I believe would have possibly squeaked out 80 gross, but he just didnt look as good as this one.

Thanks. Like Brian I am far from an expert at judging pronghorns so I really benefit from looking at pictures and guessing and then seeing where I end up.

I knew this buck had good mass and prongs, but had him around 14" on height so I was curious what the tape was going to say on him. When you put the measurements down for your leftover buck I thought I would ask again on this one.

It sure is tough to look at them and make a quick decision when you are out there with a tag in your pocket during hunting season. Seems like about 1/2 the bucks are easy because they are short and don't have much mass, then about 1/4 of them are tall, but you can tell pretty easy are light on mass, but about 1/4 of them you have to really look at to decide what they are.

This guy had me guessing how tall he really was because his prongs seem to be lower on the base of his horns than normal. Maybe it is just an optical illusion though because he has such good prongs. Thought that might affect his mass measurements a little too. Very strong prongs on him though and a beautiful buck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back