2011 Rifle Elk

MHMT

Towards the end of archery season, I became aquatinted with a certain herd of elk. They stayed in the same drainage and I found them every time I headed to the area. Late in archery season, most of the elk I was hunting were not receptive to my calls, so I decided to hunt this herd spot and stalk. It almost worked on a few occasions, getting within 40 yards of the herd bull twice, but I never got a clear shot.

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

I didn’t want to pressure them too much knowing rifle season was right around the corner, so I just kept an eye on them for the most part. During the lag between seasons, I was able to locate the herd, which now included two smaller 6x6’s as well as the herd bull. I was feeling confident about opening day.

DSC_0191.JPG

I had backpacked camp in earlier in the week and met my dad to head in the afternoon before opener. Not long into glassing my dad spotted the cows feeding out from the trees. We watched and watched, the bulls were no longer with the herd. Not too surprising, bulls just seem to have that sixth sense of knowing when to split.

DSC_0009.jpg

We did locate a bull separate from the herd, and I decided to try for him in the morning, and my dad would head to where we had last seen the main herd.

DSC_0015.JPG

Sitting in the dark, shivering, I watched the distant stringers of taillights head into the mountains. As light started showing over the horizon, I glassed over where the bull had been, no luck.

DSC_0046.JPG

Then the orange vests started to appear, I saw people hiking up from multiple directions. The herd of cow elk spooked and headed out. My dad had the cows within range earlier, hoping a bull would show up, but never did.

Thats the way it goes I guess, especially on public land. We headed back, loaded up camp onto our backs and trekked out. I still had a great time even though no shots were fired.

DSC_0029.JPG

As luck would have it, I don’t have classes a few days a week, giving me a chance to study... err hunt. So not being able help myself, I found myself driving early in the morning downing coffee and sunflower seeds, then hiking a few miles in the dark and sitting up where I wanted the elk to be.

They weren’t there, so I continued hiking and eventually found some fresh sign. Lucky for me, there was a layer of frost on the ground that allowed me to see tracks. Not too far into tracking I could smell elk, Ok I’m close. I started to move forward and then heard that disappointing noise of crashing, branches breaking and spooked elk running away. I sprinted up to where I heard them and found myself on a big open hillside. No elk. I have no idea how they disappeared that quickly.

At this point I figured I pretty much cleared the elk from the area, but you won’t find an elk if you’re not outside hunting, so once again I found myself hiking in the dark but finding no elk at first light. Waiting on the hillside just hoping something would appear, I eventually dozed off. Later when I woke up, a calf elk was feeding below me 100 yards away. Huh, go figure.

After the calf fed out of sight I moved forward a little down the hill and saw tines of a bull. I set up and waited for him to come into full view. It wasn’t the big bull, but I didn’t care one bit, he’s big enough. He eventually offered a shot, which I took, and another... and I’ll just say I could’ve shot a little better, but I put him down. I don’t think I’ll ever get over buck/bull fever...

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

Didn’t have the 6500 along for a day hunt but the NICE frame and load-sling did awesome carrying out the boned out front shoulders. This is the first blood (besides the paddlefish) for the Mystery Ranch, and it did awesome.

DSC_0084.JPG

I’m glad I have some friends that’ll throw a packframe in the truck and come help out in a moments notice.

I black and whited some of the pictures trying to tone down the gruesomeness.

IMGP1640.JPG

IMGP1644.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

Nice bull and good job at the story telling and picture providing also.

Awesome Bull

Great story & pics! You did your homework and definitely earned your elk for the second season in a row. Hope you sprung for some fuel and beverages your packing buddies. Congrats!

Back