2011 Montana mountain goat

Time to quit being a pussy and go hunting. If you throw up that white (I'm a big pussy) flag and quit, you shouldn't be allowed to apply for moose or sheep next year. Leave the permits to those that will spend the time on the awesome reward of that opportunity, as opposed to hunting elk, antelope, deer, and slimy trout and kissing the wife's ass, something you can do anytime.

I've been goat hunting with annoying pussies, and great guys.. stories to come once this plays out.

I've often felt like a total clam when hunting and I've quit some days- but only early in the season. I've always made a point to come back and try again. But a goat tag in MT.. come on. I've eaten tags, good ones, but not because I was afraid of bears, the dark, or my wife. I'm likely to eat max bonus points on elk this year, but I'm going to be hunting, not sitting on my couch, smiling at some woman, talking about the scary bear tracks around my tent. GAY! Almost as gay as talking about beast mode bicep curls.

I'd go goat hunting on a shitty weather day, even if Megan Fox was laying naked on my bed with a freezing cold keg of HOPZONE on my dresser.

Don't be a pussy.

BEST post of the century!

I really have to go back and read this whole threadThe report was great
Note to myself;never let anyone here know if I draw a special tag somewhere

Goat hunting is tough. It will test your resolve. But, if I were to draw another mountain goat tag, I would be in my 70's, I would spend every last bit of energy to fill that tag. I will continue to put in for moose and bighorn sheep. Both would be an adventure. I hunt the Missouri Breaks country for deer. Damn tough hunting. If I draw an elk tag for this country I will spend countless days to fill it. A difficult draw tag should require timeless effort and energy. Otherwise, don't put in for such a tag. My wife knows that she will be a hunting widow each year. That is a given. Albeit, she supports my hunting addiction in every way. Go for it. This is not a dress rehearsal. You go this way but once. Hunt hard. Kill swiftly. Waste nothing. Offer no excusus! MTG

I've never had a goat tag, probably never will with my luck in the draws. I"m pullin for you Dunc. Hope you get one.

Barri you're one bad dude. That was an awesome hunt. The one thing about this site is that there are some tough hard hunting muthas that frequent it. More so than any other that I've seen.

If I was going to be out West for the rest of my life, then yes, I would have probably spent most of the fall worrying about filling this tag. However, I'm not. There is a pretty good chance this is my last year out here. Once I'm working next fall, I'll probably only be able to squeeze in a few early season antelope or mule deer archery hunts. I won't be able to hunt elk in the foreseeable future SOOOO....I'm going elk hunting. I'll go goat hunting if shoot a wapiti before next Sunday.

Dude,

You'll be able to hunt an ass-pile full of elk any year you want for the rest of your life...your odds of hunting a goat EVER again in Montana the rest of you life are close to zero.

I'd trade 10 years of elk tags for a single goat tag...anyday.

If I was going to be out West for the rest of my life, then yes, I would have probably spent most of the fall worrying about filling this tag. However, I'm not. There is a pretty good chance this is my last year out here. Once I'm working next fall, I'll probably only be able to squeeze in a few early season antelope or mule deer archery hunts. I won't be able to hunt elk in the foreseeable future SOOOO....I'm going elk hunting. I'll go goat hunting if shoot a wapiti before next Sunday.

Greenie; you're up again.:D

An ass-pile indeed. You can do what you want with the tag, but I don't think the elk vs goat logic holds water.

thats the unit I apply for, and I think you got my tag...go out and use it for goodness sake!

I know it has been a tough year for goats down there but I know three guys that drew the tag, put the time in and got their goats.

Beg, borrow, or steal a snowmobile, hop on it at box canyon and zoom up the old mining road behind independence and monument peaks. This time of year there should be goats on one of those mountains, also look on baboon and the cliffs below sheepherder. If you can get up to the end of the road hop off the sled, strap on some snowshoes and head over the ridge to the south, I have heard goats winter there.

Made a couple more trips, but to no avail. My hunting took a big hit this year thank to Exxon dumping some oil in the Yellowstone and my swimmers (i.e., I had a kid the end of September). Hunted hard when I was up there. Unfortunately, I'm probably not the smartest or most efficient goat hunter. I like to cover ground while hunting, which is a giant waste of energy in those mountains when I have a spotting scope on my back. That reminds me, my scope fell off the quad on my way out in the dark earlier in the season. If anyone wants a free Bushnell, there's one laying under the snow in AB Wilderness (along with a brand new can of bear spray). I had high hopes for this season especially after the great year I had last fall. However, I ended up with most of my tags burning a hole in my back pocket. I did shoot a nice antelope (for my standards). I found a cow to fill the freezer. I still live in Montana. I have a new hunting buddy. I guess life could be worse.

I did get some decent pictures from two of my trips. I'll try to throw them up when I get a chance to pull them off the camera.

Sorry to hear you weren't successful. Kind of a wake up call to realize that just drawing the tag doesn't mean you will end up with a goat on the wall. Good luck on drawing a tag again sometime in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back