Caribou Gear Tarp

2011 Elk Hunt

Doug in Idaho

I put my dad in on this tag with myself and when we drew the tag the original plan was to take the horses in and set up a nice camp. Early in the summer my dad's health started to go downhill fast. The University of Utah finally diagnosed him with bondal arthritis last month, with joints fusing in his back and having trouble even walking some days he wasn't going to be doing much hunting this fall if ever again. That changed the plans of the hunt quite a bit, but I was able to talk one of my cousins to go up with me. 1 week before the hunt my dad said that if I could get his cot up to the top of the mountain he thought he could make it for a few nights. So he packed a book or two and we got the rest up there for him so at least he could go along and sit at camp.

I had drawn this tag about 8 years ago and missed a big bull that I can still see in my dreams. I spent a few nights up there about a month ago as well so I had a pretty good idea of where I wanted to be opening morning. We started seeing a few bulls as the sun came up but they were all along way away and got into the trees quickly before I could even think about heading in their direction. There were a few bugles down below us so my cousin and I started heading down the ridge to see if we could get a view of what was making all the noise. The wind was perfect and a bull walked out of the trees on an opposite ridge totally unaware of our presence. I kind of just went into auto pilot and sat down and started shooting without really thinking about it. The bull made it about 20 yards after he came out of the trees and was down for good. My cousin and I just looked at each other and I couldn't believe that it had actually worked out just like I drew it up in my head months ago. Luck was finally on my side and I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. My dad heard the shots from camp and started calling on the radio to get filled in. I wish he could have been standing right there next to me but I was sure glad he was able to at least be up there to share the experience with me. After that the work began but we were able to get it all out and home. There's obviously bigger elk out there but I couldn't be happier with this one.

Attachments

• 10-1-2011 003.JPG
    10-1-2011 003.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 618
  • 10-1-2011 010.jpg
    10-1-2011 010.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 612
  • 10-1-2011 013.JPG
    10-1-2011 013.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 620
  • 10-1-2011 016.JPG
    10-1-2011 016.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 618
  • 10-1-2011 017.JPG
    10-1-2011 017.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 617
  • 10-1-2011 020.JPG
    10-1-2011 020.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 615
Great job on your bull! I enjoy the pictures also. Bone out those quarters next time, just looking at the pictures is making my back hurt! LOL

Great job on your bull! I enjoy the pictures also. Bone out those quarters next time, just looking at the pictures is making my back hurt! LOL

Next time i'm gonna skip that whole process and drive home and get the horses! At least I can say i've done it once right. My thought process was it was hot and we just wanted to get it hung up as quick as we could. Sure would have saved some work though.

nice bull, looks like the sawtooth's in the background.... had a archery tag up that way and wolves had them all messed up and it was hot so no talking, but if you walk alittle bit there are still elk there, can't wait too get a nice bull like you did, next year....
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back