2010 New Mexico Antelope

Taxidermynut

I'm going to steal my wifes new phone and try to keep this updated. Just packing and checking off the list. We will be leaving tomorrow evening for the 12 hour drive. Giving us 2 days of scouting. We got 3 tags to fill so it should be a great time.

Packed and on the road. 2 hours out of moab and 12 more to go. Should be there in time to scout and set blinds in the morning.

Made it to roswell about 645. Spent the day scouting and setting up blinds. Lost count at around 30 bucks for the day. Nothing that would break 80 but lots of pope and young bucks. Going to be a blast. Got quit a few pics but don't know how to attach them with the blackberry. I'll have to take some pics on the phone through the spotting scope, maybe I can attach them. If not I'll have to get them loaded when we get home.

Nothing this morning. It rained hard last night and seemed to group all the bucks up. Nothing was hitting the water holes. After about 10 stalks we've got 1 shot that was a miss. Was a little to windy. We did find 2 bucks that we figure could break 80, but nothing for sure. We aren't going to be that picky though, so hopefully there will be some kill pics before to long. Had to come to town to get a tire patched and we are heading back out now. Will update again tonight

Sorry for the delay. There has been water every were, so we have been spotting and stalking everything until this morning. Yesterday morning we had been on a couple blow stokes and were driving down the road to the next flat to stop anD glass. Turn the corner and the buck is standing off the side of the road. My little brother is on the off side so he grabs his bow and steps out when we slow down and we drive past. The buck goes back to feeding and steps into a shooting lane. Th first shot punches right through his ear. He said he ranged him at 45. Later we ranged it at 34, must of hit something behind him. Anyway the buck trots out and stops to look back at 63, quatering slightly to him. The arrow entered about dead center from the front and came out behind the off shoulder. The buck staggers around and lays down. After about 15 minutes he starts worring about the first shot, so he circled around behind the buck to get more vegation between the and sneaks to 24, moves a little left to have a clear shooting lane, and puts one through both lungs. The buck never got up. We're still giving him a hard time about the first arrow. The buck is 15 tall with average mass and little prongs and will end up going some were around 70.

Yesterday we found a big buck watering just on private, and the land owner stoped and talked to us while we were talking care of josh's buck. So we gave him a call last night and this morning I am sitting in a blind. Hopefully he comes back in. It rained last night again and nothing has hit the water yet this morning.

9 good stalks yesterday made for a fun day and sore hands and knees. One really good buck and his does bedded in a little green depression next to the edge of a hill. There ways a littlt 2 ft bush just off the edge toward the that would put me within 50 yds. 1.5 hours later I have about 8 yds to go and a doe heard or caught some movement. At the time I was already on my belly crawling. So I just put my head down so she couldn't see my eyes and layed there. 18 minutes later and 4 does standing snorting at me from 18 yards, they decide I'm ok and go to were they were laying and start feeding. Meanwhile the buck is up and had fed over to were the does had me pegged down, I can just see his horns and he still looks alert so I don't dare move much. I slowly get a arrow out of my quiver and wait form him to move. He finaly takes a step so he is behind the bush I was trying to get to so as quickly as I can I get my bow turned over and nock an arrow nocked. I neal up slowly to range him, he is walking quatering away at 86 yards. How he got that far that quick I'll never know, but it way awsome being that close for so long.

I also got within in 60 last night of a cool shaped buck. When they have there head down feeding you can get right behind them and sneak up on them, just don't move or be standing when the lift there head. Anyway at 60 he has his head down feeding and I figure I got 10 more easy yards when I side step a bush at here the dreaded buzzing right next to me. Frozen I am trying to find the snake which ends up being at about 7 ft., but the antelope is also trying to find it and has found me in the mean time. There I am frozen trying to decide if I hold still if the antelope will calm ack down or not and the snake starts buzzing again. I've had enough by this time and decide itks not worth risking. My nephew is with us though and love snakes, so I stay were I can see it a little father away and get them one the phone to come catch it. It ended up only being 26 in. But has realy cool markings on it.

Another fun day hopefully today gives me a shot opertunity.

Back