2007s

A-con

Lots of cool new bows hitting the market

Mathews has the "Drenaline'. Like the SBXT, but lighter, and faster.

Hoyt has the Vectrix & Typhoon, with a new version of the cam & 1/2, by all accounts very smooth and shock/sound free. They both have a riser mounted "string stop" that extends from the back of the riser just below the grip, and have a rubber pad to stop forward movement of the string once it reaches brace height. The Typhoon is a speed bow rated at 325 fps I think.

Bow Tec may be the best of them all, the new Allegiance is even lighter than last years, with a new slim grip that is said to be better than Hoyt’s grip.
The biggest splash seems to be the Bowtec Guardian. The riser splits like a fork at top and bottom giving two mounting points for each limb. Early reports say not only is it fast (329 IBO) but possibly the quietest, most shock free hunting bow ever made.
So who is going to run out and spend $750 or more to buy one ?

Just checked out the drenaline yesterday and it is awesome. Seriously considering selling my new XT to pick it up....

Well, after 25 years of shooting Hoyt, I have changed brands. I made the mistake of test shooting the new Bowtec Guardian. Absolutely the most quietest, shockfree bow I've ever shot. It has blazing speed as well. I ordered mine last week. Guess Iill no longer get Christmas Cards from the Hoyt rep anymore. :)

As for the Drenaline, it's not bad either. The only thing I don't like about it is the limb pockets.....or lack there of. There has been other bows manufactured over the years that had that same design and they had torgue problems. I'm sure Mathews has tested this new design, but only time will tell. I personally would give up a few ounces in weight for a solid limb pocket. JMO.

Roy, the limb pocket is a little funky looking for sure on the drenaline. That Bowtech is a really nice bow. I'd probably shoot it, if it weren't for my Mathews crush.

I ordered a Drenaline to go along with my XT I like them both we dont have any bowtec dealers anywhere around here and I just like my Mathews. But they are all getting really comparable anymore

BOHNTR said:
Well, after 25 years of shooting Hoyt, I have changed brands. I made the mistake of test shooting the new Bowtec Guardian. Absolutely the most quietest, shockfree bow I've ever shot. It has blazing speed as well. I ordered mine last week. Guess Iill no longer get Christmas Cards from the Hoyt rep anymore. :)

:eek: :eek: I'm a little shocked, seeing those awesome Hoyts in your pictures has been a hallmark for me.

I've shot the new Hoyt Vectrix and the Vectrix XL, much better than last years Trykon's IMO. I'm going to shoot a new 38 Ultra as well. Its been hard to give up on my 03 Ultratec as it still shoots and feels great to me. My pro shop also picked up Bowtech for this coming year so I'll probably give them a whorl as well. Is the guardian that good Roy? I wasn't that impressed with the Drenaline. Basically just the swtichback with new pockets, like last year PSE pockets, and some composite limbs.

Is the guardian that good Roy?

Tone:

If I'm willing to shoot something besides Hoyt (which is still an awesome company) that's saying something. I was VERY impressed with how quiet the bow was.....the quietest I've EVER shot. Only an 1/8" limb travel, blazing speed, and absolutely no hand shock. It's also fairly light in overal weight. With the design of the bow, it's actually a deflex riser, which adds forgiveness as well.

Now I must admit, the 38Pro by Hoyt (another deflex bow) is also an awesome shooter as well. If I hadn't shot the Guardian, I'd be ordering one of those. I get a big discount on Hoyt's and I'm willing to give it up for the Guardian. Am I nuts or what?

I'd say thats a pretty good endorsement is what it is. If you say its that good I'll give it a fair shake for sure. I'm actually more interested in the Commander with its longer axle to axle length. I looked at the new Diamond Black Ice and was told that it shares the same grip with the new Bowtechs, if so they have a winner in that department. What were your thoughts on the draw cycle? I messed around with a first year binary cammed old glory and didn't think it was near as smooth as what I was used to with a cam 1/2 Hoyt. Do the Commander and the Guardian use their different draw mods (fast and smooth) or not?

I wish Bowtec had a stocking dealer within 50 miles of me, but they don't. My one and only local dealer carries Hoyt and Mathews. They got the Bowtec dealership a few years back, but dropped it within six months. I guess the owner didn't get along with Bowtec management to well.

BOHNTR, how would you compare the draw cycle of the Guardian to a Hoyt cam & 1/2 ? I damaged the cartilage in my right shoulder last year, and I either need to get an smoother drawing bow, or drop down to a 60 lb bow.
I'm currently shooting a 03 Hoyt Razortec, cam & 1/2.

I thought the draw cycle was very smooth and similar to my cam-n-half. There is a definate wall though (which I like) so exact draw length is important.

I went and shot the Vectrix yesterday and I like it alot. Think I'll be ordering one in a couple of weeks. The kids shooting next to me with their recurves where amazed at how fast and quiet it was. Has anyone shot the Hoyt Vulcan yet?

A-Con, there is nothing wrong with shooting 60 lbs. My elk this year was very impressed with what 60 lbs can do.

IndyBrad, I haven't shot the Vulcan but did look one over a bit. Nice looking bow and since it shares the Vector cams as a lot of the lineup the draw cycle should be the same. The lower brace height (where they are getting the speed) and its associated potential string slap should be taken care of by the stealth shot thing. People I have talked to have been impressed by it, I think it may sell better than what Hoyt may have thought.

BOHNTR said:
Well, after 25 years of shooting Hoyt, I have changed brands.

Well I am in a similar boat....after nearly 15 years of shooting Mathews, i got tired of the high prices and even higher hype, so I decided to try and find a different company, one with a quality bow but a cheaper price.........I went with Pearson.....

The company has completely reconstructed and refocused....they sold the McPherson name, dropped the Ben and now are strictly Pearson.....and they have some awesome bows in their 2007 lineup. So far I have picked up a Ben Pearson Legend hold over for $200.00....and I love it.....I bought the hold over just to see if I would like them..........to me the pearson bows are like a combo between a Mathews and a Hoyt.....paints a pretty nice picture, but at half the price..........my next toy is gonna be the Z-34.........

Can you beleive it.....I had to cancel my order. Seems my lovely wife got me an early anniversary present (New Years Eve)...a Bowtec Guardian. Man I love that woman! :)

Guardian

I have a Guardian on order also, but I ordered Hardwoods HD instead of the OBS. I'll have to wait another week or two. It is one nice shooting bow, the only thing you hear is the arrow hitting the target. There is zero hand shock, but I thought it kicked the bottom out just a little. A stabilizer should take care of the kick. Very nice bow, but also spendy!

Just shot the vulcan and wow. Both the Vectrix and Vulcan are smooth shooting bows. Quiet, hardly any vibration in the hand. Will you loose much accuracy with an inch less of brace hight past 30 yrds?

Just shot the vulcan and wow. Both the Vectrix and Vulcan are smooth shooting bows. Quiet, hardly any vibration in the hand. Will you loose much accuracy with an inch less of brace hight past 30 yrds?

You may have to practie your shooting from to master a 6in brace heigth. It should make for a great 3-D/hunting bow. Might not win any indoor turneys with it...;) I am realy thinking about picking one up for spring 3-D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back