Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2004 ND Bow Buck

iminrut

Well guys.....he's not the bruiser I was hoping to score on this year, but a turn of events at work is gonna find me being a busy boy for the next couple months......my bow time was gonna be limited, so i decided to settle for the first decent buck that gave me an opportunity....

Last night was my last night shift, and I had my relief come in an hour early so I could get in my stand before daybreak......what an awesome morning it was !!

It froze hard just before daybreak, and the sound of crunching leaves as deer filtered through the trees, filled the air......as night gave way to day, geese started lifting up off the river.....the constant honking made for some good cover for any movement I might have to make......

Roughly 7am, I caught movement through the trees.....three bucks heading to the river to water.....one looked pretty decent. As the started heading back from the river's edge, they started making their way past me to my right.....just then a doe pops up out of no where about 30 yards to my left........one of the yearling bucks changes direction, and starts making his way toward the doe, with the good buck in tow.....

As the small buck walks directly under my stand, he pulls up to smell where I had walked in, but he is not alarmed.....just stomps several times as he knows something just ain't right.....the good buck has held up about 20 yards to my right yet....I'm pinned down....don't dare move.....

The young buck settles down and starts heading towards and following the doe again.....the good buck as once again at ease, and resumes the path behind the yearling.......as he walks under me and behing a tree, I grab my bow and latch my releaee on my string........as he passes by at 10 yards I draw.....the sound stops him quartering away......."zzzip" and a mule kick find him making a final 50 yard dash.....

This was a memorable hunt for all this morning had to offer......the frost, the geese...the deer....the outdoors.......I was on full tilt adrenaline for what seemed forever, but once it became crunch time it was like I went on autopilot......I don't remember any sights or sounds, I just remember drawing and picking my spot.......as I released that arrow, I remember the flood of sights and sounds returning....simply awesome to be able to enjoy this kind of experience.....

17390000_02021-med.JPG

Elkgunner.....He is right at 19" inside.....kinda one of things that drew my attention to him, he does have decent tine length, that this picture doesn't quite capture...'bout the only thing he's lacking is some mass.........guys, I too love how this picture turned out......flood of colors, ehh ??!!

irut- that pic is fuggin awesome! Great composition all around and if that was a self-timer shot You-da-man!!! I can't get that good of pic taking one of somebody else...

MarvB...it is a self timed pic, LOL Kodak Digital....gotta love 'em.

I set the buck up oin the river bank, and then set the tripod and camera just down the bank about a foot.....thte morning was absolutely perfect.....

.....well except that I was so pumped for that mornings hunt, that I forgot my knives........ever gut a deer with a gerber ?? It works OK, but I sure would have had my blades, LOL
hump.gif

Originally posted by Nut:
WTG Clay! :cool:

Awesome pic. Should be framed and put on the wall. :cool: :D
LMBO....how 'bout the fridge...will that do ??!! :D Hey my wife's got her pictures on there...so do I...for now, LOL
hump.gif
:D

Well my bow tags are filled, but I still got rifle tags for Antelope and Whitetail Buck, and also a second season doe tag that I'm gonna take my oldest girl (5) on her first hunt to fill.....that's the one I'm really looking forward to.

Our Antelope rifle season opens Friday.....I'm hoping and praying to have a good one to show ya all by that evening.... ;)Here's a hopeful sneak peek.......

173902004RifleGoat-med.JPG

Back