2004 deer hunting goals

Nut

What are your goals or standards for 2004?

Post them now and lets see how they are fulfilled or changed. ;)

My goals are to

#1. Have Vipe and ScreaminReel get their 1st deer this fall

#2. Have TE and LN get another one or 2

#3. I want one with a compound bow this fall.

my first goal is to get drawn for a tag or two and if that happens my standards would be to kill

a 300" bull Elk
and
a 100" coues deer

I will pass up every deer and elk I see until I find a big enough one .

LOL Nut.....Every year I tell myself that I will put a concentrated effort for deer, and every year work gets in the way and end up with like one or two days for deer. One of these days I will hold myself to it. All I want is for my next deer to be bigger than my last. There are at least 4 deer that fit the bill where I go for elk and I would be happy to take any of them. ;)

Bull with bow, 160ish muley with rifle or bow, 140ish whitey with bow, 300 pound black bear outta north Idaho in Sept. I have had similar goals every year for about 4 years now and have met VERY few of them.....but you gotta shoot for something right!

Oh yeah, 14 inch antelope.

Put in for Antlered Mule Deer and Trophy Antelope draws for my oldest son [18], my daughter [16], and myself. General Whitetail tags all around. Make sure the kids tag out then
I'm taking a friend from Portland out for 3 days of Whitetail hunting. As far as standards 180's Muley,150's Whitetail and 15" Antelope. Been close but no cigars yet.

For deer, a nice reasonable buck. Its been too long since I've got one. I've been really picky over the past couple years. We'll have to see about this year. On elk, if I draw the tag I put in for a nice 6x would be awesome. If I don't draw out, then any bull I see is in danger on my general tag.

Get drawn for, and slay - my first elk

To hunt, see, and slay my first antlered, AZ deer - mulie or Coues

To try predator hunting, here in AZ

To hunt something cheap and interesting, in a neighboring state

Get published in a bigger magazine

Sorry, I know these are beyond the scope of "deer" goals - but what the heck ;)

1.Enjoy the great outdoors with good friends and family

2.See some new country and meet some new people.

3. shoot a nice respectable buck but hopefully not eat tag soup either! ;) :D

I would like to draw a tag this year, last year was the first time I didn't draw a tag for deer. I don't really care about size. I guess it would depend on what tag I draw, if I do. If it's a Kiabab tag I take 9/10 days and give it all I have. If it's my second choice, I take a week off and do the same. 3rd choice on down, just happy to have meat to make into summer sausage and jerky.
Hopefully, my buddy puts his 12 old in for an anterless deer tag for the Kiabab. Junior tags are not a slam dunk but the odds are very good and the success rate is great. Would make for a great year helping a kid out with his first deer, Good Luck, JLG.

1) To put aside the small town politics that have eaten away at my sanity of late.
2) To share my little slice of heaven in CT with some friends.
3) To not hear 18 wheels roll by for a day.
4) To help drag that 250 pounder that ghosts through the rut.

Chas

Provide me & Smitty & Tnctcb get drawn, we're looking for a Sambar Deer: me with the 50 cal and Tim is planning on using his bow, haven't heard what Smitty is using.

If I draw my deer tag I will be looking for a buck that will be in the 180's. If I draw my elk tag I will be looking for a Bull in the 350 range. If I draw for a pronghorn I want a buck over 80. But if I don't draw anything I will be looking to shoot more chukars than I did last year. Gretta has to have some fun! Ron

Now that I saw it was "deer hunting goals" I'll detail that a little better.

I have an Idaho tag and plan on hunting Idaho high country in early October for 5 days. If nothing there, I"ll hunt north ID high country in the rut....and brush! Hopefully pulling a 160 type buck outta one of those places. I also put in for an Idaho limited tag, that would be heaven if I drew, and yes, I'd also be looking for a 180 type buck with Ron!

In MT I am hunting some high country in the Bitterroot for muleys and I wont pull the trig unless its 150+, or hell, if I like it anyway. Should be fun. That hunt ends the 15th of November, just touching on the rut. By the way, does anyone know when muleys do most of there aggressive rubbing? Is it prerut, like early NOV or during the rut?

I may also (long odds) draw a MT limited muley tag that would be sweet, 180 goal for sure there. I hope to draw an "extra" buck tag for the Bitterroot valley, which allows you to take a whitetail buck with a bow, on top of your general tag that allows you either whitey or muley.

Woohoo. Throw a few does in there with bow and I'll be a happy camper!

Instead of Wyoming elk this year, I'm headed to the Suwannee River Ranch in Florida for European red deer.

I'm planning to take two 'lopes in Butte County, S. Dakota with my slide action .243 on opening morning.

Opening day of Black Hills "any deer" season, I'll be sitting just inside the treeline at dusk awaiting a good shot with my 30-30 carbine. Mule deer country. If no good shot is presented by NOV 19th, I'll topple a big doe.

Last weekend of West River Prairie Deer season, I'll be hunting mule deer along the White River breaks. Again, 30-30 carbine is top choice.

Headed to Pennsylvania for primitive weapons season this Fall with my nephew. Will likely topple a big whitetail doe with crossbow.
Teddy

An elk, a couple of deer, hopefully moose and or sheep tag, speed goat and only six to eight weeks to accomplish it in... ;) :D
Plus Elk and deer for the wifey!

Just to be in good buck country and have a decent opportunity to cast an arrow at a monster muley. I figure the rest is up to me.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Back