2004 deer hunting goals

First, I want to help my Grandson get his first Deer, Secondly help my son get his first Muley and an Elk. NOW..........I want a Decent Muley and will hold out for a Nice 8 or better point whitetail with a few does thrown in for my Daughters, who seem to think my freezer is Walmart. I also am taking a Friend Muley hunting for the first time, seeing him get one is also high on my list.

a wyoming area 19 bull tag and a arrow threw the 7x8 bull I have been after for 3 years.
i'd like him with my bow or my hunting party to get him who is my son moseley my cousin mike or mike jr.
whould also like a 180 or bigger muley with my bow.
as a last resort i'd take them with my rifle.
as long as i'm dreaming how about 6 million dollars to just buy the ranch i hunt.
maybe the rmef and the mdf could go together and buy it so some tree hugger dosn't get it.

Goal: To Kill A Deer( with something other than my truck)!!! It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to actually deer hunt. -memtb

My goals for the season are:
1. Get my wife her first big game animal ever.
2. Get my first blackpowder deer ever.
3. Draw the highly coveted Nebraska bighorn sheep tag.
4. If I do draw that tag not to have a heart attack.

Wyomingtim, I thought you were joking about the "coveted Nebraska bighorn" tag. I had no idea there were bighons in Nebraska. Do you hunt them from a tree stand over-looking an alfalfa field? :D
My deer goals for this year: Get one.

To shake the rust off my bow and shoot something with it this year, hopefully that 250 pounder that Chas wants to drag out of the woods. :D

Well, ther eis a noce little bighorn herd up here. I was shocked when I found that out as well. They have reintroduced them to their "traditional range" and things seem to be going well. I believe that this year (like most other years) they will only give one tag in teh lottery. Every resident can put in nonrefund $20 and if you draw then it is a guided hunt with 4 days of accomodation and use of horses, etc. Pretty good deal for $20. All the money goes back into the bighorn management also.

Here is for hoping.

Tim

I would also like to finally draw a tag.
My main goal is to spend as much time hunting as possible and make some good memories with family and friends.
The size of a buck that I hold out for really depends on what I see scouting this summer. If I have a nice buck scouted out, I don't think I would have a hard time passing on a 170" buck for at least the first few days of the season. If I want to put some meat in the freezer I might shoot a 2 point the last day of general rifle season. I wouldn't be disapointed if I passed on a buck opening day only to get a smaller buck latter in the season. Unless the deer is a monster I think taging out at the begining of the season is very disapointing.

My goals for this year SUCK!
I have some stupid friends that insist on getting married during hunting season. So I will be applying for a hard to get tag for the sole purpose of building preference points in my home state of ND.

Then I hope to shoot the shit out of whitetail smoothies with my bow. We are allowed up to 10 doe tags this year, so I can guarantee that I will shoot some of the smallest, most tender does I can find.

Really who gets married in the fall? I tried to get married on my wifes b-day... one less thing to remember, but now its only 5 days before thats easy enough...

My goal is 10 dead by season's end! A "buck" with my bow while bow hunting elk in MT would be a bonus. I should get a decent chance at a 160-180 buck in CO then let the lead fly here... whack-em all. If I kill eight here I'll be happy, but have a chance at more if all works out

No, not hunters. Actually, the father of one of the brides demanded they change the date cuz of deer opener (is it bad enough they are getting married in season, much less OPENER!), but then his wife pulled the reigns in on him.

Bambi, I will have 2 archery, 1 rifle and 9 "any weapon" tags. Since we're both going to shoot as many as we can anyways, we should have a contest with an irrelevant prize! Maybe even a unique scoring system, like squaring the hides as they do bear and whoever has the most square footage...

Don't tempt me... I have a hard enough time justifying not pulling the trigger sometimes! If you make it a prize... well lets just say mother nature might not like it!
I think I have a real shot at killing 10 deer with out much trouble. I got a spot lined out that is nicknamed the "petting zoo" and its not a strip club ;) I killed 4 last year and was selective...

I just checked the "proposed regs" 2 bucks and 10 does each season (gun, bow, muzzy) Got deer? I figure if I have to shell out $24 I better get my money's worth
Throw in a sika deer and I got the makings for a good season here!

No doubt, other than my rifle tag, I will be strictly archery on the rest.

And I told myself I wasn't going ot get a non-res antelope archery tag for South Dakota this year, then I saw "him" last weekend. I have already secured land to hunt on for nearly 3 miles in every direction. So add 2 antelope archery tags to the mix for me.

As far as killing deer...I grew up on and still work on my family farm. Shooting whitetail does isn't difficult since there are just so many of them moving between the fields and the woods (or CRP). My favorite way of sticking smoothies is stalking them through standing corn on windy days. DAMMIT MY BLOOD IS PUMPING!

I hear ya... I wish the whiteys were as easy to hunt as they are out west... not that they're that easy, but you can see them a lot farther away... I really miss hunting them in MT... Muleys just arn't as much fun for some reason, its to hard to kill a big buck...

The damn deer here can pick out out in a fuggn tree stand at 100 yards. They get a lot of pessure in some areas. If you've never experienced opening day of gun season in MD or PA its worth it... You'll hear more shots in an hour than I used to hear in the 5 week season in MT :eek:

Most of my hunting will be with a bow as well. 10 days chasing elk and deer with a bow in MT in my ol honey hole, then a month and a half chasing deer here with a bow, then a week of muzzy season, then off to CO for deer and elk for another 10 days with rifle, then back here for two weeks of gun season, followed by two more weeks of bow season, then a week of muzzy, then 2 weeks of gun again then hopefully another two weeks of bow season... phew I hope I can make it! I hate it when you need about 5 diffrent wepons to keep it interesting

Good luck on your lope hunt. That was my first big game animal with a rifle and with a bow... The area I grew up in MT had an early season for em, rifle started on the 15th of sept, so it was prime rut for em... pretty dang fun too... I shot a 14" with a rifle when I was 12 and two years later I shot a 13" with my bow. I just hope the summer goes as fast as the spring has. I'll be chasing elk before I know it...

Where did you grow up in Montana? My Mom and Great Grand-parents grew up right on the border near Sydney and Fairview.

I hear about opening day, it's like a 21 gun salute across our normally quiet country one minute after Noon. Thats why I like a good blizzard the first week of deer season, keeps the lazy asses from getting out. The preferred way to hunt whiteys in this country is to find a shelterbelt or tree claim (less than 10 acres usually) and send a group of people walking through it, then shoot whatever comes out the other end.

I would rather hunt muleys, but getting tags isn't always easy or cheap, and I have to drive about 6 or 7 hours to hunt short weekends. So I just hunt what's in my backyard usually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back