MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

'20- What Worked, What Didn't?

This is a very interesting thread. Here are my observations from my season.

What worked well:
- Kenetrek boot gaiters.
- Black Ovis merino base layers.
- First Lite merino neck gaiters (plus worked as a face covering if I had to stop anywhere on the way home). Very warm and never got clammy feeling.
- Cheap garden center kneeling pad for glassing.
- Korean War era surplus wool pants. The waist is cut much higher than more modern pants. Weird at first, but I ended up liking that my back didn't get exposed to wind if I was sitting or twisting around. Very durable, warm and comfortable.

What didn't work:
- My strategy and approach for whitetails. Did not work at all! I have more research and learning to do in the off season.
- Cheap nylon revolver holster. The hard plastic belt loop sewn on broke after one hunt. I knew better than to buy it, but the leather one I wanted was out of stock and I figured the cheap one would get me through this season.

Yeah it's the fit, I wanted to try a boot with some crampon capability because of how bad my kenetreks got chewed up a couple seasons ago. The extra support in the heel and stiffness causes some pretty intense hot spots throughout the hike.

Leuko tape has been the savior, without that stuff there would've been days where I would've been screwed.
My Zamberlans took a couple seasons to really break in fully. I'm on year 5 now and finally love the fit and feel. I had moments up until this season where there were little hot spots.

Worked
-Sitka timberline pants. They have been terrific for at least a hand ful of seasons in any weather
-cheap 2 inch foam pads to sit on and lean against. $5 well spent. weigh nothing, I carry 2.
-Komperdell trekking poles w/ 'L' shaped handle. Paid a bunch for them but am on at least my 4th season and I abuse the heck out of them w/ all of the weight I put on them.
-my old truck. abt 200k on it and 16 y/o. I keep it serviced and it keeps rolling thru all of the abuse and miles in a hunting season

Things I am tired of putting up with that don't work so well.
-Eberlestock (heavystock) pack. Tired of hauling that thing around. Switched to a day pack and didn't even know I had it on.
-Pistol belt. I carry a heavy revolver. i like it. But the onlyfeasible way I have found is around my hips below the Ebelestock belt. after most of a day the pinch gets to me. But
I have not found a better way to carry tht is accessible.
-Onyx chip quit working in my garmin Montana. I am guessing it won't seat correctly to make contact with the garmin. But just a guess. it kept me from getting very close
to private land
- Leupold range finder. been a constant source of frustration withe the lack of range. Now the middle digit on the LED had almost faded out so I can't tell if the range is 420 or 480.
ready to put some $$ toward a reliable unit that will range 1000 yards.
--Hunting too close to Bozeman. 1 1/2 hrs away is not far enough anymore. "Country is filling up" Met an awful lot of Subaru hunters who have been fun tho.
-Crossed paths w/ a LOT of cat tracks this year. Everywhere I went in 'my' h/u. Game warden agreed there are a lot of them around. thinking of sending them towards Bozeman :cool:

Last edited:
My Zamberlans took a couple seasons to really break in fully. I'm on year 5 now and finally love the fit and feel. I had moments up until this season where there were little hot spots.
Haha I’m on year three and I’ll be lucky to get them through this year on the soles.

@Tradewind, I carry a heavy revolver as well in a holster, instead of using a belt I use the chest strap on my pack, than tuck it down slightly behind my bino harness, super handy for quick draw!
Matt
The only drawback to this is if you take your pack off, your gun goes with it. A buddy of mine got bluff charged by a griz north of Hebgen Lake with his pack off, gun attached. Said it was really a bad feeling.

After using the Kenai chest holster I’ve wondered why I ever bothered carrying on the waist belt of my pack. It’s by far the best way I’ve found to carry a handgun in the field.

The only drawback to this is if you take your pack off, your gun goes with it. A buddy of mine got bluff charged by a griz north of Hebgen Lake with his pack off, gun attached. Said it was really a bad feeling.
That is why mine ended up on my waist. It's always there. Too heavy to hang off my bino harness.
My intention is to see where It might fit after I purch a diff pack

Worked -
Kuiu Superdown has been great for glassing on windy ridges as has the Outdoorsmans bino adapter. Definitely have helped me spot more game.
Dan Coffin - per @mtmuley recommendation, he quickly solved some issues that I've been chasing my tail on with my rifle for years.

Didn't Work -
Myself. My struggle with depression the last few years have really taken a toll on my hunting along with the rest of my life. Can't get motivated to go out, don't hunt very long or very hard. Don't have anyone to hunt with so no one to keep me motivated. Wife finally said she had enough of it and got me an appointment with a head doctor. Hopefully I can get it work out cause it sucks.

Oh my Lowa Tibets are shot after 4 years, kinda ticked about that.
I’m in Missoula and always down to hunt or do whatever, just shoot me a PM.

I take it with me, sits in the same spot as when my packs on minus the holster and pack 😜 never go anywhere without it in bear country 😳
Matt

What no longer works: Copenhagen

I debated sharing this. If this comes out as preachy, I apologize. It's not meant to be and there is no self-edification involved. I've chatted with other members here about this previously, so maybe this will resonate with someone who is in the same place I am.

I've been very cavalier with photos of Copenhagen. I value my health, and devote time and effort to fitness and proper diet. Yet, I've rationalized the chewing because it was only "recreational" and I would buy a can for a hunt. Recently, while driving across Wyoming I realized having two different cans going at the same time was a far cry from the "occasional and recreational" conditions I'd imposed upon myself, and that the "one can" was routinely morphing into numerous cans.

The final straw was a conversation with my wife recently. I've watched her struggles this year as she's reconciled the rather unexpected death of her dad. Some words really hit home and provoked some serious introspection. There is no redeeming quality to tobacco. I know that and have for, well forever. I've minimized the risk in my mind because I was "minimizing the use".

Two weeks off it, and from now on, what "works" is spearmint gum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back