Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2 Hunting Questions

Moosie

Grand poopa
2 question for the folks...

1. If you were going on a Sheep hunt, What Rifle would you use and What grain bullet would ya pump through it ?

(This sounds like the "Whats the Best Elk Caliber question ;) but I'm curious what people would or have used )

2. What would you use for Boots.

If I remember right, you have two different .300 magnums. If they both shoot good, pick the lighest one ( you might want to consider a glass or kevlar stock ).
For bullets, I would go with one of the bonded, poly tipped, boat tail offerings by Nosler , Swift or Hornady. 180 gr.
But then, I don't know squat about sheep.

I was told.... To Use one of my 3 - 300's that sit in my Safe, and Drop from my current 190 Grain bullet doown to a 150 Grain...

Other Rifles consist of a .270, 7mil .08, .243, and a few others I can't remember or aren't appropriate like the Small calibers and the SKS and such.

I could use this Excuse to Buy a New gun, But I like the 300 mag

Thanx A-con !

Instead of buying a new gun, put a light stock on one of the .300s. A Hi-tec or Rimrock (stock) will make the gun shoot better, and save some weight, like a full pound less than a wood stock. You can do it yourself for about $250-$300 ( I did )or have a good gunsmith do it for around $500.
The differenc in trajectory between a 150 and a 180 is almost nothing, but the differenc in K.E. is a lot, and a 180 will fly better in the wind.

Are they about the same size as a Thar Goosie? er Moosie,You seem to shoot your 300,s real well {Mulie buck with big sky etc}, but I wouldn't use them Match king thing,s you use, follow Acon's advice and Dans and Cali,s and all them other guys who I'm sure will advise you in spades, a premium well constructed bullet,is this one of those Tag of a lifetime things you guys get? Me I would use a lapua bullet in a 6.5/06 rifle made up by Danr

Moosie,

You'll get more advice than you need. I wouldnt waste my money on a lighter stalk or any of that BS.

Take your normal hunting rifle with your favorite bullet and kill your sheep...simple as that.

I went through the same thing when I drew a goat in MT and when I hunted white sheep in AK. Everyone was telling me what I needed to do rifle wise. I used my 338 on both. Killed my goat at 50 yards my white sheep at about 250.

I think its much more important to spend your money on scouting and hunting than trick rifles and trick bullets.

I would do a little extra shooting this summer though. ;)

i wouldnt drop to a 150 gr bullet. my 300 moves a 150 gr so fast that it makes a nasty entrance hole almost tearing the hide but a 180 makes a clean entrance and and acceptable exit hole. of course a long shot for me is 130 yards so its going to be different out there. my thinking is if you shoot a bit forward on the animal the 150 might tear the hide so much that the taxidermist has to do alot of extra work or might not be able to make a clean mount. it would be a shame to get a once in a lifetime animal and not have a great mount. i have several different calibers but if i were going after something i may never get another chance at i would take the rifle i was most confident in that had enough power to cleanly kill whatever i was after. i wouldnt buy a new rifle for that type of critter unless i didnt already have the power for it. your 300 will take anything in north america so i would use that if it were my tag.

Buzz & tim great advise
tnctcb is correct on the 150 grain bullets they suck all of them. shoot a 180-190 and your ok. why start palying with loads and stuff when you know where yours shoots now, then when you get that great shot you will second guess yourself and screw up.
use the same gun and same bullet.

Ive been shooting .300 wn mags for over 22 years andonly 1 bullet and I love it.

Delw

I would never pass up a chance to convince the Mrs. that this is a once in lifetime hunt and you NEED a new gun. :D :D

1. This old 300 WTHBY I have, cause it shoots very tight groups at 300 yds

2. Hawthorn Smoke Jumpers. They are a subsidiary of White, and I have found them to be very durable and well built for long treks and hard use...

I agree with Tim and Buzz. :D

As for boots get ones that are for the terrain you will be at and that you have already broken in. I wore new boots one week and they tore me up. Funny thing is I now wish I could wear em all the time since they are so comfortable.

There are others you know what style you will need better than a eastern flatlander. ;)

Originally posted by BuzzH:
Moosie,

You'll get more advice than you need. I wouldnt waste my money on a lighter stalk or any of that BS.

Take your normal hunting rifle with your favorite bullet and kill your sheep...simple as that.
And there you have it. That is the answere you are looking for.

What was I thinking, don't do anything to make your rifle more accurate or weigh less, weight shouldn't be a concern on a hunt like this.

Congrats on the tag moosie! I agree with tnbc on the .300 with a 180-gr bullet. I sent an email to your greatwhitehunter email account about your hunt.

Shoot your favorite .300 mag with whatever 180 grain bullet that you have the most confidence in. Sheep are not that tough.

Boots - I used a pair of Mendl boots I got through Cablea's. They are great in the mountains.

I used my last sheep hunt as an excuse to get a lot of new gear. That was 4 years ago. I need to draw another tag!

Meindls and use your .300 with Noslers. In the last five years 5 mulies, 3 elk, a bighorn ram and an antelope buck all were rendered speechless with one shot each from my .300 RUM. I guess the Noslers do work.

If this were my tag I would use the rifle that I was most comfortable with which is my .300 win mag with 180 grain Nosler Partitions no need to screw with something that you are confident in.Good luck to you on this great hunt you will have.

A-con,

Sorry if my post came off wrong. Weight surely is a big consideration. I've just found its easier to trim weight in areas other than my rifle, like off my ass. ;)

If your hunting rifle is shooting an inch or so, anything more is just showing off.

I'm of the opinion people should concentrate more on their hunting/scouting/glassing skills than worrying about improving accuracy .2 inches or trimming .5 pounds off their rifle. Those type of things likely wont make or break a hunt like this. Not knowing how to get close, not properly scouting, not using glass, and not hunting correctly will...

JMHO.

I'd use my .280 with 140 grain Nosler partitions and the best boots for my feet, which are Vasque hunters @$250 a pair. That's what I used on all my sheep. Vasque high top boots are no longer available. Just make sure whatever boots you're wearing are good quality and fit well. Take moleskin.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back