2.5 Man Shelter Thoughts

KayakMacGyver

Looking for some ideas as I'd like to add a lightweight, 3 man (really 2.5) shelter setup for September backpack Elk Hunts. Me (6'2), My wife (5'4), and my 8 year old Son (4'11). Lots of good Memorial Day weekend sales right now and I'd like to pick something up soon. I'm also not opposed to used via fleabay, etc.

Last season we shared several nights in my Hi Route Tent which we stripped of the insert and used floorless. It was TIGHT, but LIGHT and allowed us to find camp sites while moving with the elk. the minimal footprint and weight are advantages that I'd like to maintain. This tent is my personal favorite for solo trips. It's a trekking pole tent, which is another big plus that I like a lot. Floorless was a downside as dirt/mud/bugs were an discomfort the crew wasn't too keen on, but we dealt with it and hunted hard.

I just bought an MSR Front Range 4 Person Ultralight Tarp + Insert on sale. However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to return it. 108" LxW means I'm going to have a really tough time finding an ideal footprint to pitch it. We also own a Seek 8 man Tipi, and the massive footprint is a huge burden to consider (even though that's not a backpacking tent), so I'm familiar with that PITA.

I've looked at freestanding options, but haven't been super impressed with what I'm seeing. If it was just me, I'd go floorless and bivy, but that won't work for my group.

Wishlist:

3 season
LIGHT
Footprint of around 70"Wx80"L, give or take
Mesh insert
Trekking Pole support structure
Ability to withstand heavy rain/wind

Will Consider:

Freestanding Options
No storage - We just need a place to sleep. I'll set up a lightweight tarp for gear if needed

I greatly appreciate any recommendations

Last edited:
MSR 3 person tent is on sale at REI for 40% off. Almost exactly dimensions you mentioned. Trekking pole structure aren’t usually that large unless you are in a teepee shape.

The Hubba Hubba was the first one I considered, and I looked hard at it. Unfortunately it seems they've had some QC issues the last several years and the customer service side of MSR has taken a nose dive.

Ordered the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3
HV UL 3. Lots of good reviews on top of the recommendations here.

A friend also suggested the Slingfin Portal 3, which I like alot. A little pricier, but seems to be exceptionally built. I'm still taking a hard look at that shelter and may still pull the trigger and send the BA back. Will see.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I'd look for something larger than you think you might need to have plenty of room for gear/packs, etc. Depending on how far and what weather you might be in, you may have to pay up. Otherwise, most freestanding tents should be "ok".

Fwiw, REI also has a good sale on right now. You might take a look at what they offer. They don't specialize in "hunting", but they do have customers that go into the backcountry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back