MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

1st Time elk Hunter

Slingshot99

My brothers and a few cousins are trying to plan a elk hunt up near Pagosa Springs Colorado in unit #81 and wondered if anyone has any information they would mind sharing. this will be the only time some of us will get to do this due to the cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I trust you're aware of Colorado's GMU's? Area 76, in the Wenimuche Wilderness is a trophy unit that takes many preference pts. to draw a tag. Units 80 & 81 are East of Pagosa Springs, and have no draw factors. You can hunt a vast area there. Some of that country has a lot of roads, and then some, (in the South San Juan Wilderness) is roadless. It's rough country to get around in though. I live on the other side of Wolf Creek Pass, so know the areas pretty well.

Do to the fact that your from Nebraska, I would be looking at Wyoming, not SW Colorado. IMHO

Kevin

Huh? Im from NE and hunt Southern CO. Its nice to not have to draw a tag each year and to hunt the same spot. :D

Elk ?

Huh? Im from NE and hunt Southern CO. Its nice to not have to draw a tag each year and to hunt the same spot. :D

How many Elk have you got in CO ?
If you don't draw a tag else where Colorado is fine,
But it sure isn't my first choice of States to hunt, way to many hunters.
however it is better than setting home. JMO

Kevin

Kevin

To tell you the truth...Im just getting started. Only have went once. Saw a bunch of good bulls last year. Should have filled my tag multiple times if I would have had any luck at all. Plus it was my first time and Im sure I screwed things up multiple times. As far as hunters go...yep it can be crowded....but I'm not afraid to walk. Walked in many miles last year and only saw one other hunter. Im sure its crowded within a mile or two from the road...but I wouldnt know. :) Just making sure I wasn't missing something....

Put a call into the biologist or game warden for that area. They have a good idea of where the elk are and are more than willing to point you in the right direction. Colorado is tough because of the amount of hunters in the field, but like everyone says, the further away from the road you are, the better chance you have. Good luck!

Kevin

Not for all of us. I've hunted Colorado all my life, and have no desire to go to another state. My success rate is about 75%, and I hardly ever see another hunter. You just need to research, and not be afraid of hard work.

If you want an easy successful elk hunt. Don't pick Colorado.

lol

Not for all of us. I've hunted Colorado all my life, and have no desire to go to another state. My success rate is about 75%, and I hardly ever see another hunter. You just need to research, and not be afraid of hard work.

If you want an easy successful elk hunt. Don't pick Colorado.

With living there like you do, It would be very embarrassing not to be successful on a regular basis,
seeing you have unlimited scouting time.
But when your a nonresident, and only get to spend a week or 2 there a year, it is a little different.
there is a reason that the overall success rate is only about 18%.

Kevin

With living there like you do, It would be very embarrassing not to be successful on a regular basis,
seeing you have unlimited scouting time.
But when your a nonresident, and only get to spend a week or 2 there a year, it is a little different.
there is a reason that the overall success rate is only about 18%.

Kevin

I came here as a non resident for over 40 years before moving here. It can be done if you really want it, and use common sense. Of course i'm not a trophy hunter, so any legal bull works for me. Although in all the years i've hunted here i've killed some nice bulls that some might consider a trophy. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Elk

I came here as a non resident for over 40 years before moving here. It can be done if you really want it, and use common sense. Of course i'm not a trophy hunter, so any legal bull works for me. Although in all the years i've hunted here i've killed some nice bulls that some might consider a trophy. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

IMHO, as hard as it is to get a Elk, any legal Bull is a Trophy in my book.
I have been lucky and got 3 in the last 6 years.
I wish that I could talk my Wife into moving out west, but she doesn't want to be that far from the kids and grand kids.

Kevin

Kevin

Keep the plan you have. I'm a nonresident hunter who has been goin to colorado for the part 10 years. I've killed 8 bulls back there, so there is plenty of animals to look at. you just have to put out the effeort.Make sure you guys have good optics and keep your packs light. If you want to find bulls you have to go were other folks dont want to go into. If you need help with equipment send me a P.M and i can help you out. good luck this year

Kevin

Just giving an update. Just got back from my second hunt to colorado. My first year i took Randy and other hunt talkers advice to a T and learned a ton. This year I called in 8 bulls in a week and my parter hammered a 6x6 at 25 yards. OTC tag, public land, and we didn't see another hunter the entire week. Pack in far from the roads. Go where other hunters don't want to and you will see elk. :) Love that place!

Last edited:
Just giving an update. Just got back from my second hunt to colorado. My first year i took Randy and other hunt talkers advice to a T and learned a ton. This year I called in 8 bulls in a week and my parter hammered a 6x6 at 25 yards. OTC tag, public land, and we didn't see another hunter the entire week. Pack in far from the roads. Go where other hunters don't want to and you will see elk. :) Love that place!
Awesome! Congrats on a great hunt. I've been hunting CO for the past 4 years with a bow and am 2 for 4. Hitting 80/81 this year. Picked up a tag on the leftover list.

Back