1st time DIY archery elk - First boots on the ground scouting trip

Sdhunters

Took the last few days to go "scout" Wyoming unit for first DIY NR general elk hunt. Had to see what I got my 59 yr old self and friend into being flat lander deer hunters and only been on couple rifle elk hunts in the past. The reward of the trip was a narrow meadow that appears to be current home to a herd of elk. I located a spot that had many elk signs including cow/calf beds, droppings, trails and mostly very strong urine odor. The area is very marshy currently with a lot of run off throughout the meadow so I would expect food to remain plentiful for some time. A couple questions. First should I expect the herd to remain in the area for the next couple months? And secondly, how to approach the area that is couple miles down the drainage. My take on the thermals would be early the wind would be down the drainage and this is the only approach from my access. Would you go high on ridge top and circle around this area down the drainage? Any information, opinion and responses would be appreciated.

Reactions: LCH
I wouldn't expect them to be there in two months (it is possible). Way too many variables on that issue like predators, food source drying up, water, safety and so on. You do have a place to start. Late season is going to be about recovery/safety food and seclusion/sanctuary. My suggestion would be to get on Google earth or similar and do some e-scouting for some safety/refuge areas within a 20 mile radius of the area you have spotted them in (no guarantee that will pan out). Elk can cover ground so quickly it's not even funny and can be 20 miles away within hours. This time of year it's about birthing, food source and herd safety for young ones. Bachelor herds have formed and the bulls are typically running together with antler growth and food being high on the list. Food sources right now are plentiful but within a month (hot weather in the 80's and 90's) can really push elk to cooler shaded areas with water, then it's rutting season in Sept and Bulls can push herds in every and all directions.

One of the things you can do with your e-scouting is to locate heavily used game trails within an area and consider the time of year they may get pounded in (once again, no way of knowing time of year without trail cams or boots on the ground). Knowing that late season is about sanctuary, safety and preparing for winter look for dark timber (north face holes or cliff bands) that elk will seek safety for late season. By the time you get to hunt them in late season they will have been pushed by many sources, one of which will be all your early season hunts.

Hunting an area for the first time can be difficult but given some known habitat and needs of elk can give you a "good" idea of where they may be.

Good luck to you

Last edited by a moderator:
If your hunt starts early Sept, they may still be there. If the food is there, good chance they remain. But, too many variables to bank on it. I use this time of year to tell me what is in the area, what can I expect to see for size of bulls this fall, and number of cows. If I am new to an area, as you are to this one, I use this time to see what roads are like, where CG are, what the terrain is like, where the gas stations are, what trails there are, and what watering holes I can find, etc. Actionable scouting will come the week before the season, probably not doable in your case, unless you come out.

For approach, I think that will be determined on game day. Find out what prevailing wind looks like, but also understand thermals very well.

If your hunt starts early Sept, they may still be there. If the food is there, good chance they remain. But, too many variables to bank on it. I use this time of year to tell me what is in the area, what can I expect to see for size of bulls this fall, and number of cows. If I am new to an area, as you are to this one, I use this time to see what roads are like, where CG are, what the terrain is like, where the gas stations are, what trails there are, and what watering holes I can find, etc. Actionable scouting will come the week before the season, probably not doable in your case, unless you come out.

For approach, I think that will be determined on game day. Find out what prevailing wind looks like, but also understand thermals very well.
Thank you for the response.

In regard to thermals, most elk spots are tough to approach without alerting them (to your presence). Wind is often advantageous as it can "override" thermal direction. Use the weather forecast to predict opportunities to sneak in undetected.

In regard to thermals, most elk spots are tough to approach without alerting them (to your presence). Wind is often advantageous as it can "override" thermal direction. Use the weather forecast to predict opportunities to sneak in undetected.

As a long time bow hunter myself I know that bad wind is almost always a blown opportunity. Many on this forum will chuckle and some think its pure voodoo but scent control products (sprays, deodorants, washes) are worth every penny in my eyes. I even carry a small drug store travel spray bottle in my pack with me. I personally DO NOT hunt out of a tree stand for elk and never have so it's always been ground blinds (ambush) or spot and stalk (13 archery elk and counting). It may be voodoo or waist of money or whatever people want to call it but scent control products are just another variable that can ONLY help so why not (it's not like you're spending the kind of money you would for gear. An entire kit with body wash, laundry detergent and spray will only cost you 40-50$)? I personally have had great success with them and have been in situations where I know the wind was not right and did not get detected so either I am lucky or the stuff really works???:oops:

There is nothing better than being prepared and knowing the wind/thermals but anyone who has done any kind of hunting knows that it's almost impossible to predict what the wind will do on any given day/hour/minute. Scent control is just another feather in the cap of a bow hunter so why not use it. We could all use a little voodoo!

I know this is an entirely different topic and sorry if I am hijacking this thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back