1st time archery antelope!!!!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I drew my first ever antelope archery tag in Nevada and I’m going to be sitting water in a blind and possibly trying spot and stalk if water isn’t working out. Questions for sitting water: should I consider wind direction into where I place my blind? Will the direction of the sun throughout the day need to be accounted for? How far should I setup my blind from the waterhole? Thanks to all in advance for the help I truly do appreciate it!!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I drew my first ever antelope archery tag in Nevada and I’m going to be sitting water in a blind and possibly trying spot and stalk if water isn’t working out. Questions for sitting water: should I consider wind direction into where I place my blind? Will the direction of the sun throughout the day need to be accounted for? How far should I setup my blind from the waterhole? Thanks to all in advance for the help I truly do appreciate it!!
I have my 2 cents, but what would your answer to your questions be?

I have my 2 cents, but what would your answer to your questions be?
Well first off for wind direction I have heard that it is not as much of factor with pronghorn as it is with other species because they mostly use their eyesight to spot predators and not so much scent. But I’m sure it still must play some sort of factor into their decisions. And with sun direction I’m guessing the best placement is you want the sun directly over you as much as possible in order to avoid sunlight getting into the blind making it easier for them to spot movement. So plan to setup in the direct path of the sun throughout the day? And as far as distance I have been shooting from a blind practicing and I’m very comfortable out to 40 yards so I plan on setting up somewhere in that range. But I guess it would probly depend on the terrain and the layout of the waterhole and which direction the animals mostly like to come into water?

Haha yeah I have a feeling I’m gonna end up in the same boat sitting in a blind in 100 degree weather all day doesn’t sound very fun too me. But I’m gonna try to stick to it as much as I can lol

You can definitely be busted by having them smell you...been there done that.
This is spot on. Are their noses as good as other animals'? No clue. Will they bust you if the wind changes? Absolutely.

Congrats on the tag! I think distance from the water is probably more based on how far you are comfortable taking a shot. They're not huge animals, so a smaller area to ethically put them down.

They do seem to be more creatures of habit, though (sleep in same places, water at same places, graze at same places, etc) so if you can find some good trails into the watering hole, you might be able to set up an ambush close to the water without actually being over the water.

I never worry about the wind when setting blinds for lope on water. If they are going to come in they are coming in regardless. Sun is an issue depending on the blind, you dont want to be Silhouetted if you can help it.
Distance with new blind is key, especially when you setting it up and hunting shortly after. I have seen lopes shy away from new blind that are set up very close to the water when the blind hasnt been in place long. You back out to 30 or so yards and some will get over the blind and come in. If your setting the blind up a few weeks early I go as close as 20 yards, if i setting up right before my hunt then i back out to 30ish. The type of tank matters as well. A natural water hole or ground level tank they will be way less skittish of new blind then raised metal tank that they have to lower their head in or step onto the cement pad it sits on. If a tank has spot were water slips out and puddles I always make sure i have clear shot to that spot, i found a lot bucks will drink out of the puddle rather then the raised tank.

You can definitely be busted by having them smell you...been there done that.
I figured as much just heard a lot of guys saying they don’t ever factor for the wind but I just wanted to hear some different input. Thanks for the reply!

I never worry about the wind when setting blinds for lope on water. If they are going to come in they are coming in regardless. Sun is an issue depending on the blind, you dont want to be Silhouetted if you can help it.
Distance with new blind is key, especially when you setting it up and hunting shortly after. I have seen lopes shy away from new blind that are set up very close to the water when the blind hasnt been in place long. You back out to 30 or so yards and some will get over the blind and come in. If your setting the blind up a few weeks early I go as close as 20 yards, if i setting up right before my hunt then i back out to 30ish. The type of tank matters as well. A natural water hole or ground level tank they will be way less skittish of new blind then raised metal tank that they have to lower their head in or step onto the cement pad it sits on. If a tank has spot were water slips out and puddles I always make sure i have clear shot to that spot, i found a lot bucks will drink out of the puddle rather then the raised tank.
It will be a pretty late blind set day before the hunt so I will plan on setting up a little further away thanks for the advice! I’ve known of a lot of good bucks killed off this water so hoping I have the same luck!

This is spot on. Are their noses as good as other animals'? No clue. Will they bust you if the wind changes? Absolutely.

Congrats on the tag! I think distance from the water is probably more based on how far you are comfortable taking a shot. They're not huge animals, so a smaller area to ethically put them down.

They do seem to be more creatures of habit, though (sleep in same places, water at same places, graze at same places, etc) so if you can find some good trails into the watering hole, you might be able to set up an ambush close to the water without actually being over the water.
Yeah I was hoping to pattern them for a couple days coming in and would rather setup on their way in then on the actual water itself. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it!

If you are into podcasts, Tony Peterson's Hunt for Real podcast episode 13 is an entire episode with Jace Bauserman talking about bowhunting pronghorns. Some good tips in there.

Get a cheap plastic cooler and leave it in the blind when you set it up. Bring either a bag of ice or preferably block ice and a gallon of water every morning. Keep a towel or rag you can dip in the melting ice water and wrap around your head. About the only thing I've found that makes sitting in a blind when it's a 100 degrees bearable. And if there's any shade close enough try and get your blind under it.

Get a cheap plastic cooler and leave it in the blind when you set it up. Bring either a bag of ice or preferably block ice and a gallon of water every morning. Keep a towel or rag you can dip in the melting ice water and wrap around your head. About the only thing I've found that makes sitting in a blind when it's a 100 degrees bearable. And if there's any shade close enough try and get your blind under it.
Already planned on the cooler with the ice definitely a must thanks for the reply!!!

Well first off for wind direction I have heard that it is not as much of factor with pronghorn as it is with other species because they mostly use their eyesight to spot predators and not so much scent. But I’m sure it still must play some sort of factor into their decisions. And with sun direction I’m guessing the best placement is you want the sun directly over you as much as possible in order to avoid sunlight getting into the blind making it easier for them to spot movement. So plan to setup in the direct path of the sun throughout the day? And as far as distance I have been shooting from a blind practicing and I’m very comfortable out to 40 yards so I plan on setting up somewhere in that range. But I guess it would probly depend on the terrain and the layout of the waterhole and which direction the animals mostly like to come into water?
I agree with what you said. I've never hunted antelope out of a blind. I figured/ hoped if you took the time to answer your own questions, people would be quicker to respond with help. Looks like it worked. Good luck

I agree with what you said. I've never hunted antelope out of a blind. I figured/ hoped if you took the time to answer your own questions, people would be quicker to respond with help. Looks like it worked. Good luck
Thanks I appreciate it!

I've never noticed scent to be much of an issue. If you have bovine in the area I would worry more about them and either find a way of avoiding them or have them avoid you and your locality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back