1st DIY archery elk trip-Lessons learned.

Sdhunters

Couple rookies in the woods, we were very concerned of walking quietly trying not to break branches, move slowly and not talk as we moved up 150 yards or so after each set-up. One thing I did not learn until now is you can not concentrate so intently on where you step without scanning in front of you. Walked in on a few elk that I first saw at about 40 yards. Ended up busting a few. Luckily they were not real spooked but moved off but opportunity was lost. Later nearly walked by a cow at 30 yards. Is it common for elk to stay motionless and let you walk by? Will focus more on scanning for elk shapes as I move and less where I am stepping. Also, found out how well they blend in especially in shaded forested area. Hope to learn from my mistakes and make myself a better elk hunter. Also, make sure release is on check list or you have backup in your pack...saves a nice walk back to camp.

Good honest post here! It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it. We've all done what you just described. Good luck the rest of season!

They do sometimes let you walk right past them without standing up. This almost happened to me with a cow elk last year at 50 yds bedded. She never moved a muscle until I stopped and she knew I had her pegged. Even then, she waited several minutes to get up.

One thing I'd also mention is elk are sometimes very noisy when they move. If you're calling and moving stepping on a dry branch isn't necessarily the end of the world. I was sneaking in on a bull a few years ago without calling. I had stumbled in the middle of a group of elk spread out with bulls in three directions from me and a large herd of cows with a bull. I snapped a branch under my feet sneaking and he came unglued thinking I was one of those other bulls challenging his herd. He literally came running right towards me. Something to keep in mind...

If you are moving into the wind as you are changing locations or slowly still hunting, pay attention to your nose. As inferior as our noses are compared to elk noses, sometimes the first inkling that they are close is that you smell them. 20 elk chewing their cud and repositioning after pooping/peeing every so often leave a unique elky urine/barnyard smell to alert a switched on nose.

Sometimes as I'm moving through the turkey woods, my "spidey senses" will try and get me to slow down and oftentimes those senses are correct......there are birds nearby. I know that a couple of these times I've walked past some turkey droppings without me seeing them, but I have smelt them and it alerts my brain to be alert.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back