1969 - Big Fin, Big Smile

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like Fridays are my days to do very little constructive, other than reogranizing gear, cleaning out files, and getting cameras ready for the coming season. And, sort out the pile of stuff sitting on the table in the Randy room, mostly pictures and old family artifacts.

Found this picture from the summer of 1969. I was a few months shy of the ripe age of five years old. Taken in the front yard of the homestead of my Grandpa and Grandma Newberg, following a morning fishing at Twin Lakes, near Forbes, Minnesota.

Being the oldest of his grandsons, Grandpa relished in taking me fishing, teaching me what his father had taught him. We would sit on the dock, while he enjoyed simple pleasures and peace he seldom found in other aspects of his life.

He would let me eat all of the treats Grandma would pack for us. He was happy to let me have his share, so long as I was willing to fight the skeeters for an extra hour or two. Seemed like a good deal to me. And was good for him, allowing him to smoke his home rolled Prince Albert cigarettes and sip whatever he kept in the flask that was off limits to me.

This trip is probably the first real fishing memory I have, but was a very vivid memory. As you can see, I was already working on the smile Moosie loves to give me so much grief about. What more could a kid ask for - a July morning of fishing with Grandpa, getting to reel in every bullhead, and my belly stuffed with homemade pastries.

My Grandpa Newberg, being a first generation American, loved fishing. It didn't matter what kind of fish, so long as it would bite on a hook, baited or not. It was the culture of his family, being recent immigrants from Sweden and Finland.

Born in 1906, he was the first generation of his family to learn English after his father came to northen Minnesota from Sorda Lundby Sweden in 1891, and his mother's family coming from Vaasa, Finland in 1898. He spoke English pretty well, but his Swede and Finn was excellent. He married a Finn woman, eight years his younger, with the patience of Job, the oldest of ten children whose parents had come from Finland in 1905.

When we would fish, he would tell me old Swede fishing songs and stories. We would recite them back and forth to each other until such time as I had them memorized, albeit without the proper accent and annunciation to give full effect. It was great fun, and to see Grandpa's smile of geniune pleasure, it made me smile even more than him.

Evidently some of those songs were of the adult variety, given I nearly gave Grandma a coronary one morning while helping her draw water from their well out in the front yard. The memory of what happened next lingers fresher than any of the fishing memories.

It was on this same week-long stay with my grandparents that I was pumping the well handle while Grandma was mannig the buckets. I started to sing one of the songs Grandpa had taught me while fishing each morning.

Not sure what the words were, or what their meaning, but she looked at me, almost in tears, set down the water pails, ran up the steps and into the house. I looked in confusion as to what I did to bring such a response from the lady who thought I walked on water, and of whom I thought the same.

Once inside the house, the sweetest, dearest, most kind woman I have known in my entire life, erupted. Grandpa was shaken from his mid-morning nap, to face the wrath of one mad Finn woman, a God-fearing Methodist, who protected and cared for children to a degree that she could see no humor in teaching them sailor songs.

Not sure what words were exchange, but I knew when they quit speaking English and reverted back to the native tongues of Swede and Finn, things were not good for Grandpa. Having never seen Grandma in that state, I just kept pumping water on to the ground to make sure I looked like I was minding my own business.

In a few mintues, Grandma returned, wiping tears from her face, hugging me as though I been the victim of some heinous abuse. As she whispered in my ear of how she married a man who did not understand the meaning of the Good Book, I looked to the sky and prayed for my father's life; I prayed that Grandma never found out what her son, my father, taught me while we would fish the Big Fork River that formed the north boundary of our property in Big Falls.

Growing up with grandparents whose lives were formed in the manner of being recent arrivals to this country was a treat. They took great pride in their command of the English language, even if they did not speak it as smoothly as their native Finn and Swede. Their customs were still rooted deep in what their parents had brought to this country.

Fishing and hunting being second on the list family traditions, only after the highest priority of saunas. I still have my grandfather's old Model 14 .30 Remington pump. I shot my first whitetail with that rifle.

I only wish I had kept the old fishing lures he and his family would make. Carving minnow style baits was a popular hobby among him and his brothers. He had boxes of them, handpainted of different colors, some with hooks, and some blanks awaiting their hooks. Being young and stupid, when offered those old baits upon his passing, I suggested they be given to others in the family.

A picture like this, one of a few pictures I have of me with my Grandpa Newberg, makes me smile, thinking about innocence of youth, the true pleasure Grandparents get in spoiling their grandchildren, and appreciation for the unique heritage from which our adult lives emerge, heavily influenced by the traditions and norms of those teaching us.

ps_2012_08_06___12_09_31.jpg

That is way cool Randy. i hope you document everything that you type up here. You have shared a lot of cool stories and I think they all belong organized in a binder somewhere.

One could only hope to be as honored as your Grandparents and remembered in such an eloquent and loving fashion.

So much more to that smile than "I caught some fish!"

That story brings back some memories. My Mom was raised in Grand Rapids, MN not too far from Forbes. Her Grandparents were Swedish immigrants as well and she has told me many stories over the years. Not long after my Great grandparents had their 13th child my great grandfather passed away leaving my gr grandma Anna to raise them all. She was the matriarchs of matriarchs, as documented by my great uncle Hjamler who wrote many stories of the family, their trials and tribulations and of course hunting and fishing. We still have a deer shack out in the north woods, I need to make it out there one year and experience what I have read in my great uncles stories.

Those are some great memories Randy. Did you by chance end up with that fishing pole? I have one similar that was my fathers. I never could cast it without ending up with a rats nest. Thanks for sharing, Brian

Those are some great memories Randy. Did you by chance end up with that fishing pole? I have one similar that was my fathers. I never could cast it without ending up with a rats nest. Thanks for sharing, Brian

Thanks.

Yes, I have that fishing pole, and the reel, though they are in bad shape following a fire that damaged my Dad's house, while he had these items.

Fin, thanks for sharing this wonderful story!! I am less from a month away from having my first child, a little boy who I know has 2 grandpa's that are going to love taking him hunting and fishing! This makes me think of those days down at the lake fishing with my father and what great memories I have of our times shared outdoors. Memories like these are priceless and I can't wait to make some new memories with my little boy soon!

Great story - keep those memories fresh. I am now starting to see this from the other end. We visited our daughter and 2 grandsons age 3 and 1-1/2 over July 4. The high point was walking along the beach and throwing sticks into the water (Northern California - water is too cold to swim) . We found a big pile of washed up kelp. Simple pleasures. The little guy is fascinated by rocks and dirt and will stare and stare at a handful of sand.

That is a great story Randy and it brought back alot of memories of my grandfather. He had been deaf for most his life but could read lips and we could talk as long he could see your mouth. He made extra money in the old days(he was really mad when they put a 25 duck limit in place) by shooting ducks and selling them to local restaurants and by trapping muskrats on what would become the Salt Lake Duck Club when his family sold the land to them. All he got out of it was hunting and trapping rights for himself and my uncle.I only got to hunt with him once but I remember vividly when he gave me 7 shells that morning. The limit then was 7 ducks. I asked why only 7 shells and he told me that I would either have my limit or I would have to watch until I learned to shoot better!!
I remember before each season started, the blinds would be lined with cattails and I was paid $5 a blind to do it. Good money for a 14 year old kid back then . I still remember the smile on his face the day he let me drive the air boat and what a great day that was for the 2 of us. When we got back to his house that night he gave me his .22 to have. He had a stroke the next day and although it did not kill him, he lost all movement on his left side and the next one a few years later finished the job.
I am now on the other end of that relationship with 9 grandkids and I don't get to spend much time with them since they are scattered from Alaska to Texas but when I do see them I hope I can give them some memories similar to ours.
Thanks for the post, it made me think of some great times.
BD

Last edited:
I'm going to print your essay for my Yellowstone Lake trip starting here in a few minutes. I'm certain Diane will want to see that cute kid pic! thanks for sharing.

Back