Yeti GOBOX Collection

17hmr Suppressed??

CForest

After having a suppressor on my hunting rifles I cant hardly stand to shoot a rifle without it anymore. So that means I am in the market for a new gopher gun (oh darn.) Will be buying a specified rimfire suppressor shortly.

My question is how well does a 17hmr suppress with the little cans??? I know a 22lr would be crazy quiet. Currently shooting a 17 mach 2 primarily, have always enjoyed the flat shooting performance of it vs a 22LR. Therefore I am tempted to go with a 17hmr this time around, but if the smaller suppressors don't do much good then I would rather go with the 22. Afraid the 17 will still have too much of a crack for long shooting sprees without ear protection??

As far as the gun I have been eyeing the bergara bmr, not sure if steel or carbon yet. Or also possibly the Tikka but not available locally.

Suspect the 17HMR will have quite a crack. My limited experience with a can, 2 months, is that it takes out the POW, or BOOM, not the supersonic CRACK. There isn't much powder in the 17HMR to create much of a percussion sound and most of it is the supersonic crack. I will know shortly when my rimfire suppressor gets out of jail. My wife's RAR rimfire with CCI Standard should be pretty quiet, doubt that my 18" 17HMR will be hearing safe without protection.

I've been using a Sparrow on a 17HMR for many years. I always found the 17HMR LOUD for a small round but was quite suprised how well the suppressor did the job.
That is one I am considering actually. Seems to be a good value. Glad to hear it's working well for you

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have become more and more of a weenie with loud rifles and I do not enjoy shooting a 17hmr without hearing protection. But with a can it's shockingly quiet. Squirrels get real confused what's going on when their buddy just falls out of a tree.

Those little projectiles have a comparatively small sonic crack, and with a 16 inch plus barrel you're burning most if not all the powder in the barrel, so they typically sound pretty good. If its a semi-auto then then there will probably be a good amount of port pop to start, and even more with the can. I keep thinking that I should have my 17wsm threaded, but I always forget to send it in when another one is getting done.

Pretty much all the 17's I have looked at seem to have a 20" barrel so that should help.

Although the compactness of the shorter 22's would be handy with the can on there too

Well over the weekend my wife won a bullpup shotgun at a local walleye banquet. While we were excited we realized we had very little use for such a gun, and therefore decided just to trade it in on something we would use.
Came home with a bergara bmr in 17hmr.

Now just have to decide on which rimfire suppressor to order. Sparrow seems like best bang for buck, but my local store speaks highly of the deadair mask 22. Real life problems haha

There are a lot of good suppressors out there. I've got a Sparrow that I use on 22's and my 17HMR. I'm sure it's not the only great option, but I really like mine and have used it a bunch on the HMR.

I have experience with the Sparrow, its an old school monocore can, the industry has really gone away from that now, mostly for ease of cleaning. My old can is a YHM Mite that I had upgraded from the monocore to regular baffles, and its a much better can now. The Mask is deservedly the gold standard in the industry right now, mine has been flawless. I also recommend the TBAC Takedown 22, its very similar to the Mask, and maybe even a little nicer.

I have experience with the Sparrow, its an old school monocore can, the industry has really gone away from that now, mostly for ease of cleaning. My old can is a YHM Mite that I had upgraded from the monocore to regular baffles, and its a much better can now. The Mask is deservedly the gold standard in the industry right now, mine has been flawless. I also recommend the TBAC Takedown 22, its very similar to the Mask, and maybe even a little nicer.
So I don't much at all about rimfire cans. Just strictly going off what they claim and a couple other forums I have briefly read.

This is on the sparrow ad: "For effortless maintenance, the Sparrow 22 has a Multi-Part Containment sleeve (MPC) that is easily disassembled, and cleaning can be done in minutes."
Maybe they have changed that on the newer ones??

For now this will mainly just be used on a 17hmr, which I have been told is much cleaner than a 22lr anyways?? Not sure how often that will result in needing to be cleaned.

End of the day they all seem to have pretty similar claims on the sound reduction. The TBAC would be one of my top chioces as I have the ultra 7 also. Currently not in stock through silencer shop although I might wait till it is. I'd prefer to go through them as my lgs has the kiosk. I live in bfe so just makes for a nice setup to do everything locally.

The Sparrow is a monocore, so while their design makes splitting the tube easy, it’s still a one piece baffle stack that most people find a PITA to clean. The shielded baffles in a Mask of TD22 are easier to clean and usually provide better first round sound performance on pistols.

Capitol Armory has the TBAC in stock, and they should be able to transfer it to you local dealer, who will then add it to their inventory and process it through Silencer Shop. I just did this with a 338 can that SS didn’t have.

My Mask suppressor should be here any day! I submitted my application 80 days ago so I am just now getting to the 90 day turn around. Fingers crossed.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back