Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

16E Muzzleloader elk

hound dog

Im looking for some info to help make hunt go as smooth as possible. Ive never hunted in this unit but Ive spent hours looking at maps and breaking down what areas will not have elk in them. I feel like I have some good spots to check out. Im concerned with several things. I would appreciate any info you can offer.
one how hard is it to find water to filter?
Can I drive on roads that pass through private ground if they are named or numbered on a map? (not looking to Road hunt rather get to trailheads)

I will be flying solo so are there any areas that you would steer away from because of this?

Finally, I know it's a good tag, but at the end of the day Im all about smacking a bull and putting meat on the table. What is a reasonable expectation on a bull in this unit?

I realize there's quite a bit here but I do appreciate the help. I will be doing the same with some of my knowledge of other units and states.

You have a great tag. It is a very physical unit to hunt because of how the land ownership lays out.

Finding water to filter can be problematic. Most the water sources are on deeded land. And those that are there are very "skanky" due to livestock and elk use. I would not drink it.

Most of the numbered roads you can drive. But, make sure you know where you are. Many outfitters operate on those deeded lands.

A reasonable expectation depends on how hard you plan to hunt, how far you are willing to pack one when you shoot him, and how much homework you have done. I have hunted the unit 3 times and on all hunts a bull over 300" was chased. Every year there are bulls much bigger than that taken.

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the info Randy. It sounds like I will be bringing water and hiking my tail off. Not a bad way to spend a few days in New Mexico. When my non-hunting coworkers ask me about my travels they are always struck by the amount of torture I enjoy putting myself through on a so called vacation. I wouldn't have it any other way though.
I just used your promo code to pick up my new chip for NM so that should help with navigating the roads. As is usually the case, finding an access road through the private seems to be the biggest challenge in most of my western hunts.

My son and I hunted 16E last year on one of the youth encouragement tags. We set up camp on the east side of Palona Mountain. From where we set up camp we were able to glass a lot of country right from camp. There is public access up in to that area about 18 miles in on state road 163 from the intersection with state road 52 if I remember correctly. I can PM you with more info if you would like. I would have to take a look at a map to refresh my memory.

I'll be in the area deer hunting later maybe.I have all the 16's to hunt.
Going in off ranches I know the owners.
Randy knows 16e well.
xmaps is your friend in NM......

I have onxmaps on my phone and a chip in the mail. It appears the the landowners in 16E arent listed. I was trying to cross reference the e plus list but that seems like a futile effort. Any idea if the chip for the garmin has this info? JDSanders if you would be willing to share info please pm me! I may never be lucky enough to draw this tag again so I want to make the most of it.

Back