Yeti GOBOX Collection

168 gr Nosler E-Tip and the 30-06

Four22

Anyone have experience with this round and bullet? I'm developing a load for this bullet but wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience on how they performed on game.

Thanks!

I am a TTSX guy, but in general, when using non-lead bullets that have 95%+ weight retention I like (and many recommend) going down in bullet weight (for example to 150 grain) and shoot it fast.

Not this particular bullet in the 30-06, but my son does shoot a 90 gr. E-tip in his 6mm Remington. It was pretty easy to get a load worked up for it that shoots very nicely, and it's performed great on deer, antelope, and his first elk. I think the bullet should work well for you but as VikingsGuy stated it might be worth trying the 150 gr. E-tip also as you would have a bit better velocity which would result in better expansion. I need to shoot his 90 gr. E-tips into jugs at 500 yards. That's the only distance I haven't done so yet and have recorded their performance from 25-100-200-300-400 yards. Very impressive stuff.

David

I have experience with this exact load, unfortunately for me, my x-Bolt didn't like them very much, I played with different powders, but just couldn't get them to shoot well, I tried the same load in a friends rifle and they shot great, he even used them on a couple of hunts, it was a complete pass thru each time, even out to 400 yards, but has yet to recover a bullet. They work, are accurate, just not in my rifle.

I have experience with this exact load, unfortunately for me, my x-Bolt didn't like them very much, I played with different powders, but just couldn't get them to shoot well, I tried the same load in a friends rifle and they shot great, he even used them on a couple of hunts, it was a complete pass thru each time, even out to 400 yards, but has yet to recover a bullet. They work, are accurate, just not in my rifle.

We shoot the 168 barnes ttsx with ramshot hunter out of my dad's 06 with excellent results. I use 165 barnes ttsx with h4831sc in my 300 mag also with excellent results, they all shoot well under 1 moa, closer to 1/2 moa. They have been awesome on game too, good clean kills. Not the etip, but as close as I have come.

A 168gr bullet should get enough velocity out of a 30-06 to take down anything within reasonable range.. it just depends on if your rifle likes that particular bullet

Range report...

Tried a grain range through the denoted "most accurate powder" on nolsers web page and got mediocre groups at best. Best was around 1.5"

Scary thing was that I started getting pressure signs on the base of the brass 2 grains below their maximum load recommendation. I'm thinking I might try a different lead free bullet....

An interesting (and somewhat relevant) sidenote: I am now using the 168 TTSX in my .30-06 and the folks at Barnes told me that the 168 is designed to open at significantly lower velocities than the 165. I think they said it had something to do with the 168 being designed for use in .308 Win's more often. I'm not sure if this is true for the E tips as well.

Back