Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

160 or not?

Tom

from another site:

078695.jpg

Yeah, 198 B&C and the antlers and leaves make it look like its from Kentucky, right?

That other one is 167 2/8 gross and 157 2/8 net.

Here's one. Here's a hint, G1s are 7 3/8 plus 4 3/8 abnormal and 9 1/8 plus 3 abnormal. H1s are both 5 even. At 3 1/2 years old they found his sheads and estimated 174 7/8. He's 8 1/2 yrs old here. This is why they let them get older on the south Texas ranches. He's the #1 nontypical Texas big game awards for the year he was shot.

buck485.jpg

[ 03-31-2004, 08:53: Message edited by: Tom ]

The top photo is getting close to 160. Maybe a couple of inches shy though, would help to see the spread.

Second pic is ridiculous. Is that some txGROWTHhormone or what? That thing is a HAWG!

That second deer was taken at Fort Knox, KY...sorry for you Kansans out there.
No artificial shtuff either, just very strict management on the base. See the hunter's story here and read about Ft. Knox's management program here.

On second thought, nah...that buck was from Kansas. We got nothin' but dinks and does here. You should look elsewhere. ;)

That first buck was killed by a guy by the name of Bud Meadows who posts on HuntAmerica frequently.
Said he killed it on his back 40 in IL.
Yep, that second one was from KY, saw articla in North American Whitetail mag.

The third one went over 215 when it was 8 1/2 and was 174 at 3 1/2. That's 41 more points from age 3 1/2 to 8 1/2 or about 24% bigger.

(he's in Dave Richard's book on Observing and Evaluating Whitetails that just came out, www.qdma.com has it.)

That's why the deer management people learn to judge the age of the deer and wait till they are older.

That's interesting, Tom. I'd always heard that a good rule of thumb for "maximum growth" was about 5-1/2 years. After that, antler size remains the same or reduces somewhat. That's what I'd always understood, anyway.

Not that I ever see anything approaching that age around here.
;)

Yeah, people have used the 5 1/2 a lot, but its changing in south Texas and going higher now. People have enjoyed letting some deer get older and they have gotten bigger too, they've learned, as I understand it. I can find a quote or something. I don't hunt those "rich"/expensive places here that do that. Where I hunt, just about 2 1/2 is open for shooting, but people have trouble judging the age and agreeing on it. Those who are serious about it here, put up the high fence, or else make coops, or else have thoursands of acres, and they let the deer grow to max potential. I just got that book, I'll see if he has pictures of 5 1/2 versus 7 1/2 or 8 1/2 with the sheds found for any growth there.

Here's that one at 4 1/2 and 5 1/2, he doesn't have the big drop tine and some other stuff, he had at 8 1/2 it looks like.
buck445.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back