15x Binos

EdP

Been looking at 15x Binos and had pretty much settled on the Leupold BX-5 Santium 15x56. Then I saw a magizine review for Sigs new image stabilized Zulu6 15x42 at about 3/4 the price of the Leupolds. Folks with the BX-5s seem pretty happy with them at their price point, but the Sigs might be a game changer with the image stabilizer. The Sigs are also just 20 oz instead of 45, but some of that is due to being 42 vs 56. Anybody have experience with the Sigs or thoughts about the comparison in general? The application is western hunting - mule deer, pronghorn, elk.

I've never looked through a set of 15x42’s I can’t imagine them being very good. I have looked through the bx5’s and promptly returned them. I’d look at a set of maven or meoptas over the Leupold’s. And if you’re worried about a 25 oz weight difference, you may just scrap the whole 15x bino idea anyways....

The BX5 are pretty nice optics. Other options are the Meopta Meostars. I've sold lots of each and no one complains about either

I have the Vortex 15x56's and really like them. I use them at the range, out west, and can even look at wildlife out my window freehand without a tripod with them.

Assume you are using them off tripod? How’s the clarity? We’re you able to compare them to the kaibabs? I’ve been trying to decide between the two
Yes sir, off a tripod. Not certain I understand the next question. The ones I purchased were kaibabs. I didn't compare to any other binos. Compared against spotters and felt binos were right for me.

Yes sir, off a tripod. Not certain I understand the next question. The ones I purchased were kaibabs. I didn't compare to any other binos. Compared against spotters and felt binos were right for me.
I thought the Kaibab's were Leopold model, my bad.

For the application you describe, mule deer, elk, antelope, a mid-range 10x42 is going to be much more useful than 15x56, and 15x42 is going to be a broad daylight type of glass with limited field of view and poor low light performance.

To extend your glassing distance, buy a tripod for the binos.
I have 15s, high quality, and they aren't good at all without a tripod. So start with 10x, get a tripod, and if that isn't working, get some 15s later.

Bluffgruff is right on the money. When I eliminate the wiggles with my 10x50s by mounting on a tripod, they are more effective.

I've been flirting with 15x56 binos for a couple years now.....I've looked through every brand I could get a hold of.

I have spent time with Leica, Swaro, Meopta, Leupold, Steiner, Vortex, and Bushnell. Can't seem to find Athlon and Sig to give them a test drive.

To my eyes, the best offering is Swaro, followed closely by Meopta and Leica. If the right deal comes along, I'd be happy with any of the three. All the others, I'll take a pass.

I am with Bluffgruff as well. I am quite jealous that people can hold a 15x steady enough to look through them without a tripod. I can't even hold a 10x steady enough and have gone to the 8x and now 9x route to get away from the ever apparent shakiness that I must possess. I suppose that an "image stabilizing" bino would help in that regard, but a 15x42 is not the right configuration for hunting. Way too small of an exit pupil for decent glassing in the "prime times" of the evening and early dawn.

For me, a quality 8-10x42 bino, with a tripod, is very useful in the areas of the West I live and hunt. I do now own a Meopta 15x56 which I like a lot, and have spent quite a lot of time behind the 15x56 Swarovski SLC as well. They were terrific. They compliment my 9x45 Maven B2 quite well, but certainly cannot replace them. The 9x is worn around my neck, used while hiking, stalking, sitting and I love them on a tripod for long sits too.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back