150gr Nosler Accubond LR in .270 on elk

I will be using my .270 to hunt elk this year as well. As for anyone that would tell you that you cant hunt big game with it, they are full of it. My dad took a bison with a 150g Corelock round that we worked up for his rifle. I have no reservations about using a .270 this year, like others have mentioned, you just have to have an eye for shot placement.

I have searched endlessly on the internet for someone with experience in this area, but I am not finding much. Before anyone tries to change my mind, I am 100% using my .270 on an elk hunt this fall. There will be no caliber changes. However, my gun shoots 150gr Nosler ABLR really well. The one post I was able to find on performance with these variables was derogatory due to the "softness" of the bullet, especially at shorter distances. My main question, has anyone killed an elk with these specific parameters, and if so, how did the bullet perform? And at what range did you shoot the elk?
Took my cow with 150gr using my .270

I have shot several elk with a .270 Win. I have used both 150 gr. Nosler Partition and the 150 gr. Fusion. Have fun on your hunt S10 !!

150 gn AB from a 270..shot was 340 yards. One shot, bull elk walked in a tight circle and fell dead.

Attachments

• BD3984DD-26BC-4068-9661-C76D2DA8E666.jpeg
    BD3984DD-26BC-4068-9661-C76D2DA8E666.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 265CC315-0BEE-4259-B6E1-80C19540562B.jpeg
    265CC315-0BEE-4259-B6E1-80C19540562B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 5FF81D3B-61FB-4C95-8549-35EEC30617A2.jpeg
    5FF81D3B-61FB-4C95-8549-35EEC30617A2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
I have searched endlessly on the internet for someone with experience in this area, but I am not finding much. Before anyone tries to change my mind, I am 100% using my .270 on an elk hunt this fall. There will be no caliber changes. However, my gun shoots 150gr Nosler ABLR really well. The one post I was able to find on performance with these variables was derogatory due to the "softness" of the bullet, especially at shorter distances. My main question, has anyone killed an elk with these specific parameters, and if so, how did the bullet perform? And at what range did you shoot the elk?
Not exactly the same, but I shot a cow elk once, using a 150 ABLR from a 7mm-08. 200 yard shoot. it shed about 45% of its weight and ended up under the skin on the off-side. She made it 40 yards. I think it will work for you (certainly at longer ranges), but I might be a tad nervous if I was shooting a bull at 50 yards.

Use it! Quit listening to internet pros. Obviously its not a 1000 yd setup that all good hunters are using. It will kill elk if put in right spot

We will be using a 270 this year for pronghorn, elk, and deer. Everything we shot out of it seems to perform well. You should have no issues killing and elk with the 150 grain Nosler bullets.

Quit listening to internet pros.
Some of these “pros” actually used it and didn’t like the results. When you start seeing multiple “pros” with similar comments you should probably take that in consideration.

To the OP, it will kill an elk no problem. Multiple comments how soft they are and up close shots. First hand experience generated those comments.

At under 50 yards, I had a sideways small football shaped exit wound on my deer. Roughly 4-5” wide and 3” tall in the center. I could see all the way thru the chest. There was lung and tissue splattered on all the sage brush behind it. Both shoulders were absolutely destroyed. It never took a step and was dead before it hit the ground. Because of waste laws I had to pack those shoulders out even though they were not salvageable. I quit using them after that.

Stay off the shoulder and have realistic expectations on the amount of blood shot meat.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back