Caribou Gear

15 Utah Deer Points

Zim

For most states I have specific hunts that I set as my goal of drawing someday. But the way Utah's deer hunts have evolved got me caught up waiting to decide, now I'm up to 15 points. If I had to do it over again I'd have burned them on Book Cliffs. Any opinions on where to spend them? I was thinking Paunsagunt rifle or Henries Management? I don't see the point of accumulating many more if any.

I think that the Henries have the best potential of a real big boy. I have seen quite a few there. That being said, my friend killed a 197" buck off the Paunsaugunt 2 years ago with his bow. The buck he killed had a bigger buck in the same group. So to answer your question, I would say to put in for the Henries then the Paunsaugunt, but either way you aren't going to lose.

Given the number of nonresident Henries tags, like 1 or something, my odds of ever drawing any tag there will always be remote. I think archery was the only think I had a snowball's odds at. The thing about either hunt is I won't be able to scout due to the distance so that bothers me bigtime for this state.

If they get snow in WY, the Crawford Mtn ML hunt can produce a big buck. It is a roll of the dice because the dependence on weather.

If your not going to wait for a heneries tag, I would burn them on a San Jaun or Paunsaugunt tag. You have the chance of something bigger and both units have lots of management bucks that people wont shot. Too bad they don't offer a muzzleloader San Juan tag.

If I do Pauns would you do rifle or muzzleloader? Probably still a point short for either thanks to the SFW tag thefts. SFW really raped me on that hunt. I'd have drawn it 2 or 3 years ago if not for the reduction in nonresident tags there converted to auction or raffle. Wrong place at the wrong time. Had I been a bit lower I'd have just said the hell with it and cashed them in on the Books.

SFW can rot in hell.

Last edited:
Why not just draw the book cliffs and have a good time?

Both my wife and I have enough points to draw the book cliffs. My plan is for one of us to draw in 2013 and then one draw it in 2014, hunt back to back years providing no major weather events.

I'm confused by the Bonus tag definition, but it appears if nobody comes out of the woodwork I will be in the Pauns rifle top draw pool next year with 22 other guys for like 4 tags.

For the Pauns muzzleloader it's about the same. Only one point holder ahead of me, but only one preference tag. Then I will be in that top draw pool with 6 guys applying for the 1 tag.

It could be another 6 years wait, total of 10 years added to my wait thanks specifically to SFW and their destruction of the north american model for wildlife conservation. What an ahole Don Peay is.

Also, I have family in Vegas I'd like to visit before/after the hunt and Pauns is closer

Last edited:
I heard they are offering a non-res archery and muzzleloader tag for San Jaun this year. might not hurt to check and see if they offer 2 or more for either. I would rather have this tag than all but a Heneries tag.

There is no comparison in the top end of deer from the Pauns versus the Books. The Books is really fun hunt, and a great place to go to kill a nice buck, but the Pauns has it beat for bigger deer.

If I were you, I would put in for the Paunsaugunt archery tag and go hunt. You should be able to draw with 15 points no problem. In my opinion, the archery hunt is the best hunt on the Pauns because the majority of the deer are congregated on top of the plateau in the summer range. Your concern with not being able to scout would be less of a concern on the bowhunt with the deer densities higher in a smaller area. If you do put in for the archery hunt, let me know and I could give you a couple of places to start out. I bowhunted the unit in 2003 and had an absolute blast!! It is some of the prettiest country you will ever hunt in to boot.

My Dad, Brother, and 2 Sisters have have had Book Cliffs archery tags over the past 4 years and that hunt is flat out one of the funnest times you will have with the overall # of deer on the unit, but if you are looking for quality of bucks, the Book Cliffs is not your top choice. Though there are some mighty fine bucks on the unit, the majority are 130-150 class 3x4's and 4x4's.

If I were you, I would put in for the Paunsaugunt archery tag and go hunt. You should be able to draw with 15 points no problem. In my opinion, the archery hunt is the best hunt on the Pauns because the majority of the deer are congregated on top of the plateau in the summer range. Your concern with not being able to scout would be less of a concern on the bowhunt with the deer densities higher in a smaller area. If you do put in for the archery hunt, let me know and I could give you a couple of places to start out. I bowhunted the unit in 2003 and had an absolute blast!! It is some of the prettiest country you will ever hunt in to boot.

My Dad, Brother, and 2 Sisters have have had Book Cliffs archery tags over the past 4 years and that hunt is flat out one of the funnest times you will have with the overall # of deer on the unit, but if you are looking for quality of bucks, the Book Cliffs is not your top choice. Though there are some mighty fine bucks on the unit, the majority are 130-150 class 3x4's and 4x4's.

ehU, There was only one NR preference archery tag last year and it was drawn with 13 points, so it appears that tag would be mine if I want it this year. I am interested into looking into this further. I have never archery hunted for mule deer, but I have archery elk hunted a LOT and been very successful. Can you tell me any more of the specifics there? Is it just very early morning hunting? Or spot and stalk in beds mid day? I don't have a clue on this. I do have a full 2 weeks I could take vacation for.

your question has been answered

I'm confused by the Bonus tag definition, but it appears if nobody comes out of the woodwork I will be in the Pauns rifle top draw pool next year with 22 other guys for like 4 tags.

For the Pauns muzzleloader it's about the same. Only one point holder ahead of me, but only one preference tag. Then I will be in that top draw pool with 6 guys applying for the 1 tag.

It could be another 6 years wait, total of 10 years added to my wait thanks specifically to SFW and their destruction of the north american model for wildlife conservation. What an ahole Don Peay is.

Also, I have family in Vegas I'd like to visit before/after the hunt and Pauns is closer

Zim buddy....it sounds as if you answered your own question in this one. :) Pauns it is. Good luck on the draw.

Zim,
There are no real secrets as to where the deer will be during the bowhunt on the Paunsaugunt - start near Tropic Reservoir and hunt out from there. There are lots of roads and ATV trails on the unit especially up on top on the summer range so it can be difficult to get away from crowds and recreational users, but I would recommend finding high vantage points to glass from and find the deer first, then determine how to get in on them either by patterning and ambushing or by stalking in beds in mid-afternoon.

Best of luck if you go for the tag!

ehU,

Are you familiar with any taxidermist in Panguitch that could handle the velvet rack for me? I am concerned about the temperatures and freeze drying it or something. Next closest towns are thet are Kanab & Cedar City, quite a bit further.

Well, I've been searching a lot of archives and reading about this hunt, and the more I read the more I side towards going for it this year. I can actually afford to devote 3 weeks to it if necessary.

One other thing I really like is it takes place during dates I would normally not be hunting anything anywhere, so it would not take away from any of my other annual hunting activities. And my whole hunting season would be expanded.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back