13a Mule deer

I agree to a point with Greenhorn. Its about the experience. But I generraly go on 3 hunts a year. 1 possibly out of State. I have killed a ton of Mule deer and Coues deer and 2 330+ Bulls. If You get that once in a lifetime tag You better take advantage of it . You will regret it when You get old . If You don't get an Outffiitter You may regret it , maybee not. Some guys are novice Hunters ,some live for it. I personally don't like Outfitters and only have used em 3 times in Great Hunts where I don't know the area. Thats what You are paying for. On 2 of the 3 I knew more about hunting than they did, but they knew the area. Good luck and I won't try to convince You any more. One last thing tho You can have as much fun on a Turkey hunt as a Trophy hunt. No Looking back a few years from now..........Good luck Again......BOB!

Yep You can go days with out seeing a Deer. Its all about the neat Experience but if You get skunked You may never get the tag again. Them 200" plus deer are not behind every tree. I went with a guide cause I hadn't been there in 20 years, dont have a camper or outfiitter tent and stove.Temps were 10-12 degrees at nite. Plus bad weather could come in.Like I said by time I got that Missed 2 weeks of work I would of allready had 3 grand minimum into it. Plus I was 62 so It made scense for me . You are in a little diff. situation. I end up beeing Real sick ,shot a 184 on opening afternoon and slept for 2 days in tent with nyquil. Many variables , again good luck,,,,,,,,,BOB!
You have a pic of your 184 Bob? That’s nothing to sneeze at! Sounds like we are both in about the same time of life!! My wife says i am too stubborn to admit I'm not 30 anymore, and I’m going to mess myself up. I say..... Yep! Can’t think of a better way to mess myself up!!

I agree to a point with Greenhorn. Its about the experience. But I generraly go on 3 hunts a year. 1 possibly out of State. I have killed a ton of Mule deer and Coues deer and 2 330+ Bulls. If You get that once in a lifetime tag You better take advantage of it . You will regret it when You get old . If You don't get an Outffiitter You may regret it , maybee not. Some guys are novice Hunters ,some live for it. I personally don't like Outfitters and only have used em 3 times in Great Hunts where I don't know the area. Thats what You are paying for. On 2 of the 3 I knew more about hunting than they did, but they knew the area. Good luck and I won't try to convince You any more. One last thing tho You can have as much fun on a Turkey hunt as a Trophy hunt. No Looking back a few years from now..........Good luck Again......BOB!
Thanks Bob! You are right on all fronts. I’m just too damn tight to cough up the cash when I’ve got a hunting machine Son. It would be bad ass to take a monster, but I have shot a lot of muleys in my younger days in NM and a couple of nice ones. I just want to go hunt!!

Hi All, my apologies for going dark after the hunt. Tons of family hit town for the holidays then a few family. “crises” and it’s mid January.
The hunt was outstanding! Busted must tired old ass for 5 days but in the end took a very nice buck. My Son and his great friend were as good as any paid guide and in the end glassed up this guy. We put him to bed for the about 11 then hiked and sat across a canyon waiting for him to come out for the evening. Sure enough, just as the sun was heading down a Nice 3 point pops up within 80 yards of us on our side of the canyon with three does. They sense us and move away just as the Big guy comes out of the area we saw him last.... 6 does with him. It was tough to get a clear shot but in the end - success!
Did not measure him before taking him into the taxidermist but the felt he would top 200 with all the extra stuff he is carrying. Whatever - I’m just as happy as can be. Best hunt of my life. Son, his good friend and my brother in law made for a great hunting party w a ton of memories!
We saw and could have shot 7 different bucks, three which were nice deer. Well worth the wait.
Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice1579367479255.png

1579367292125.jpeg

My apologies, thanks for following up.
no apologies needed. I can see why folks might have thought I was just in it for the intel. No report and all. I just got swept away with the holiday season. Thanks to all for advice and intel. Helped make it a great success for me and my party.

Reactions: LCH
no apologies needed. I can see why folks might have thought I was just in it for the intel. No report and all. I just got swept away with the holiday season. Thanks to all for advice and intel. Helped make it a great success for me and my party.

[/Going to retire my old .257 Roberts after this years hunt.

Looking at all the new calibers floating around but I kind of like the .260 without any research or good reason. Wondering if anyone has experience with this caliber and how they like it.

Beautiful Buck. Big Congrats , great place , HA!.........................BOB!
Thanks Bob. The Stripe is some amazing country. I was just north of Gramma Canyon and on the western edge of Kanab Creek. Kanab Creek looks like a mini Grand Canyon!
Glad I Was lucky enough to draw. Thanks for your advice and input

MT

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back