Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

13a Mule deer

Better jump on a Guide. Most of the real good ones are probly booked allready. Thats a once in a lifetime tag and one of the 2 best units. I had a late Kaibab tag last year and got a guide cause its a 6 hour drive from Phoenix to scout and with time missed from work and gas etc. I had hunt half paid for.Best horn growth this year too. Gonna be some 250" Bucks out of there this year and plenty 225" . Plus it is a very vast area. If you don't know You need help.........Good luck..............BOB!

Better jump on a Guide. Most of the real good ones are probly booked allready. Thats a once in a lifetime tag and one of the 2 best units. I had a late Kaibab tag last year and got a guide cause its a 6 hour drive from Phoenix to scout and with time missed from work and gas etc. I had hunt half paid for.Best horn growth this year too. Gonna be some 250" Bucks out of there this year and plenty 225" . Plus it is a very vast area. If you don't know You need help.........Good luck..............BOB!
Thanks Bob, I’m planning on a week of scouting prior to the season. I’ve been up there a few times but never chasing deer. I’d like to do it myself, but may have to rethink the guide.

Its tough Mike, I know the feeling. As long as You got plenty of time ,Gas extra Tires ETC. and know how to glass ,and hunt You should be ok.............BOB!

Its tough Mike, I know the feeling. As long as You got plenty of time ,Gas extra Tires ETC. and know how to glass ,and hunt You should be ok.............BOB!
Thanks Ol Bob. Got all the above, just not the kick in my step as I once did. But... I do have a secret weapon for a good part of the hunt - he’s my 6’5” 240 Phx firefighter son who is a hunting fool. As my Dad used to say to me when I was young “he’s the one with the big shirt size and the small hat size!” 😀. He’s a great guy, super good hunter and pulls me up hills by the scruff like I used to pull him! Hoping for the best but gunna put in the work.

I did that hunt on my own in 2005. Went down 3 days before the opener with an ATV, filled up in Kanab, along with about 10 filled gas cans. I spent 13 days total on the strip and left after the season ended, out of gas and did not shoot a deer.

I'd done a ton of research in advance, had a stack of maps and all the water catchment data from the G&F. That was before the trail camera rage, before onXmaps, google earth, etc. I'm sure things have changed. Even then, there was a lot of guides with hunters and hunters with lots of friends helping look.

I hunted daylight to dark for the entire 10 day season and saw about a dozen bucks. I went several days without seeing any deer at all. I saw one 215+ buck that was killed by another hunter. I passed a 180 and a 190 type buck on the hunt. So long as a guy knows what he's getting into and the low numbers of deer, you'll have a fun time.

Yep You can go days with out seeing a Deer. Its all about the neat Experience but if You get skunked You may never get the tag again. Them 200" plus deer are not behind every tree. I went with a guide cause I hadn't been there in 20 years, dont have a camper or outfiitter tent and stove.Temps were 10-12 degrees at nite. Plus bad weather could come in.Like I said by time I got that Missed 2 weeks of work I would of allready had 3 grand minimum into it. Plus I was 62 so It made scense for me . You are in a little diff. situation. I end up beeing Real sick ,shot a 184 on opening afternoon and slept for 2 days in tent with nyquil. Many variables , again good luck,,,,,,,,,BOB!

Yep You can go days with out seeing a Deer. Its all about the neat Experience but if You get skunked You may never get the tag again. Them 200" plus deer are not behind every tree. I went with a guide cause I hadn't been there in 20 years, dont have a camper or outfiitter tent and stove.Temps were 10-12 degrees at nite. Plus bad weather could come in.Like I said by time I got that Missed 2 weeks of work I would of allready had 3 grand minimum into it. Plus I was 62 so It made scense for me . You are in a little diff. situation. I end up beeing Real sick ,shot a 184 on opening afternoon and slept for 2 days in tent with nyquil. Many variables , again good luck,,,,,,,,,BOB!

I wasn't worried about getting skunked or getting the permit again. I got the most out of my AZ strip hunt. I'd never been there, have never been back, and it was a 12 hour drive from my house.

I did that hunt on my own in 2005. Went down 3 days before the opener with an ATV, filled up in Kanab, along with about 10 filled gas cans. I spent 13 days total on the strip and left after the season ended, out of gas and did not shoot a deer.

I'd done a ton of research in advance, had a stack of maps and all the water catchment data from the G&F. That was before the trail camera rage, before onXmaps, google earth, etc. I'm sure things have changed. Even then, there was a lot of guides with hunters and hunters with lots of friends helping look.

I hunted daylight to dark for the entire 10 day season and saw about a dozen bucks. I went several days without seeing any deer at all. I saw one 215+ buck that was killed by another hunter. I passed a 180 and a 190 type buck on the hunt. So long as a guy knows what he's getting into and the low numbers of deer, you'll have a fun time.
Thanks Greenhorn, I plan on giving it all. And if I’m meant to get a shot that will be awesome. However, as we all know sometimes you just don’t fill out. The experience will be great either way!!

Thanks Greenhorn, I plan on giving it all. And if I’m meant to get a shot that will be awesome. However, as we all know sometimes you just don’t fill out. The experience will be great either way!!
Thanks Bob! I’m hoping for the best but going to love it no matter what!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back