12 x 50 Swarovski's?

mdhunter

Has anyone compared the Swarovski 12 x 50 EL's to the 10 x 42 EL's ?

I have had a pair of 10 x 42's for years and love them but at times I feel under powered. I would think the 50's would be better in lower light conditions. I have borrowed a pair of 15 x 56 Swarovski's but couldnt imagine carrying them on a hunt except in my back pack. Are the 12 x 50 EL's a reasonable middle ground? I have a buyer for my 10 x 42's but I am not looking for a change for just change sake.

I carry around my neck Swarovski 8 X 56 and you can't beat the light gathering capability of them and if I need a closer look I put a doubler on it and now it's a 16 X 56. A sternum carry case is necessary.

I've got a set of both 10x42 and 12x50 El's. I like both of them very well but I'm always wondering if i'm really gaining that much with the extra 2x for the extra weight im carrying.

Interesting...thanks for the idea. I have never tried or seen a "doubler" but with a steady rest this might be a solution.

Interesting...thanks for the idea. I have never tried or seen a "doubler" but with a steady rest this might be a solution.
A doubler works good on the 8x56 but on something like a 10x42 it sucks because a 20x42 has horrible light gathering capabilities.

I went to Cabelas earlier in the year shopping for swaro binos. Took both the 10x42 and 12x50's outside to view. To me..... I did see a slight diference in light gathering clarity with the 50's. Wasnt sure if the 2x was that noticeable though; from what I remember. Obviously the 50's were a tiny bit heavier, but wont be an issue for me. So at this point the 50s had a "slight "edge, but not much. What sold me on the 50's was the fact that when I came home to check pricing from different sellers, for some reason, I found the 50's were cheaper! Dont ask me why, but they were. No not refurbished, but brand new. I bought them through Ebay from an authorized dealer...... much cheaper than cabelas by about $200 + I went thru ebates site and got cash back discount which made the deal that much better!! I'm happy with my decision to go with the 50's!

I went to Cabelas earlier in the year shopping for swaro binos. Took both the 10x42 and 12x50's outside to view. To me..... I did see a slight diference in light gathering clarity with the 50's. Wasnt sure if the 2x was that noticeable though; from what I remember. Obviously the 50's were a tiny bit heavier, but wont be an issue for me. So at this point the 50s had a "slight "edge, but not much. What sold me on the 50's was the fact that when I came home to check pricing from different sellers, for some reason, I found the 50's were cheaper! Dont ask me why, but they were. No not refurbished, but brand new. I bought them through Ebay from an authorized dealer...... much cheaper than cabelas by about $200 + I went thru ebates site and got cash back discount which made the deal that much better!! I'm happy with my decision to go with the 50's!
I compare mine side by side at home all the time and I'd echo that the 50's are slightly brighter but only noticeable in very very low light conditions. IMHO, if it says swaro on it, you cant go wrong.

In the brightness of the noon day sun, most binos will look good. You need to test them at dark thirty, then you will see the difference. Dark thirty is also the time when bucks & bulls are moving.

In the brightness of the noon day sun, most binos will look good. You need to test them at dark thirty, then you will see the difference. Dark thirty is also the time when bucks & bulls are moving.

Yes sir !! Exactly the reason we pay high prices for quality optics. A hunt might ride on the ability to make out the size of the rack on a Bull at first light or last light. Quality optics makes a difference in those moments. I don't want to say "Well, I couldn't tell if it was a legal Bull or not, so I didn't shoot and went home empty handed, but I did save $300 on my binoculars" !

I haven't tried the 12x Swaros. I have Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B binos and Swaro 15x56 HD binos. If I didn't love the rangefinder built into my Leicas so much I might get rid of both and try the 12X50 Swaro EL's. I have read that they are an awesome bino both for normal use and off a tripod. The Leica binos I have really work great for my eyes in all conditions and the rangefinder is the best I've seen though so I don't plan to change. I pack both at times, Leicas on my chest and Swaros in the pack.

If you glass much from a tripod I think you'd like them.

After much deliberation I decided I would get more use by purchasing the Swarvoski 15x56's and skipping the 12x50's. Cabelas sent me a 10% off coupon for in-store purchases but I cant get to the store before it expired (its two hours away). Two weeks later I get emailed a 10% off coupon. The next day I immediatly drive to the Cabelas (admittedly was in the area for other reasons). I get the binoculars to the counter only to find out the 10% off was for online purchases and good for the ONE day only (the day before...).

I didnt buy them that day only becasue I was offered them twice in three weeks at a 10% discount. I guess we will see if they offer them at the same price again. I spoke with a supervisor while at the store who would not let me buy them at the discount (I know, rules are rules). We will see if the procrastination will pay off...

Back