10x42 versus 12x50

I have used both, and feel that I like the 12x50 mainly because of the vast expanse of the parts of MT that I have hunted in. I also hunt in SC, so it is dual purpose.

What type of terrain? Will you have a tripod? Are you going to be picky about what you are shooting? Archery? Rifle?

I had 8x binos and switched to 10x. It was a mistake so I switched back to 8x and am much happier. I could never use 12x unless solely on a tripod.

Like others have said, unless it's dead calm you're going to struggle to get the most out of your 12x50s without a tripod (my Dad tried using them out in the red desert for a few years, but gave up on them because they were too hard to hold steady). I use 10x42 and have never found that I needed much more--in fact, I would had out with 8x and not think twice about it.

It depends on the style of hunting obviously anyone who has hunted elk knows they're not a difficult animal to glass up....... they're large and yellow and usually theres more than one.

Either way I'd think you'd be fine whether its 10x42s or 12x50s.

If your going to be on the move or hunting horseback going from ridge to ridge and glassing meadows and clearings not spending a lot of time only to basically see if a mass of yellow bodies are out then get the 10x42s. You really not relying on your glass to measure inches on a mountain goat or tines on deer or elk your just gonna know if its a cow, bull, small bull, good bull, whatever.

If your backpacking in and glassing some high country terrain and sitting on the same rock for a day or two meticulously glassing a hillside utilizing a tripod and binos trying to pick up on a sheep or high country buck. Then I would look at getting 12x50s or maybe even a 15x56. Having that little extra magnification can certainly help in those situations.

In the end they'll both work. I personally have 12x50s and love them for all types of hunting whether it be sheep, goats, elk, bears or antelope.

Little word of advice if your going to be glassing for extended periods pick-up a semi decent tripod and adapter you'll be glad you did........

Last edited:
I use 10x50s. Great for low-light and can be used out west to back home here in the wooded areas of MN. I can hold them steady enough after walking and not shake too bad. All around, IMO I like the 10s due to the areas I hunt. Most versatile power for midwest to western hunts.

All I have now is Vortex Diamondback 10x42’s. I am guessing those will work well
I plan on getting and using a tripod and I will have a razor spotting scope with me that I am borrowing. Any tips on what Tripp’s?

If you're staying in the Diamondback class then stick with the 10x42s. I'm a fan of 12x50s but only higher tier models with nicer glass. There are a number of good tripods out there, it just depends on what your budget is. Tripods can get pricey!

Too funny - I came to hunttalk today to post the exact same thread. It seems like 10x42 is the winner for me, since most of my hunting is archery elk in timber. I have a compact spotter that I use more during rifle season, but even with new optics (I am looking at the Razor UHDs from vortex), I am sure the 10x42s will do damage from a tripod.

Speaking of tripods, I have the vortex high country. It is light, and not super sturdy, but the lack of weight + cost was worth it to me, as we cover a ton of ground via backpacking, and I also carry a spotting scope, so the pack is already heavy. If you go with a lighter tripod like that, just make sure you have to appropriate allen wrench(es) in your pack to tighten things up if it gets wobbly on you throughout your hunt.

Thanks. I was looking at the Razors as well. I held the Fury's but they are so heavy they aren't really worth thinking about in my opinion.

Thanks. I was looking at the Razors as well. I held the Fury's but they are so heavy they aren't really worth thinking about in my opinion.
My hunting partner has the fury, and they are great when things are slow, and for ranging your landmarks. I know he regrets the buy for archery hunting though, and carries a rangefinder for quick measurements. It's a pain to get those things up and down frequently when elk are coming in fast and crazy.

It's a lot of personal preference really. 10x are very universal. 12x is a great step up in open country. 8x are great in the trees. etc etc. I tried running 15x on my chest this year, and can almost hand hold them well enough to do it, but have decided 12x will be a better fit for me overall (running 10x prior.)

Biggest game changer for me is the tripod, I dont care what power they are it makes such a huge difference it is unreal. I didn't believe it till I bit the bullet and got one, and man am I glad I did.

I can’t free hand 12s so thats a easy no go for me. When I use 12s they are off a tripod and always have 10s or 8s in my Harness.
I never bring 12s on an elk hunt as the extra magnification doesn’t get me anything.

I switched to the Razor 12x last year and was very happy. I don't use a tripod and don't have a problem with steadiness unless it is a high wind. If I am going to glass for longer periods I set my body in a stable position. The biggest problem I have is I can see elk and only after measuring with a line on OnX realize they are a mile and half away. :)

As stated above whichever you go with, using them on a tripod is a gamechanger. At least it has been for me. I have no problem identifying game at a mile away with my 10x50 leupolds

It's a lot of personal preference really. 10x are very universal. 12x is a great step up in open country. 8x are great in the trees. etc etc. I tried running 15x on my chest this year, and can almost hand hold them well enough to do it, but have decided 12x will be a better fit for me overall (running 10x prior.)

Biggest game changer for me is the tripod, I dont care what power they are it makes such a huge difference it is unreal. I didn't believe it till I bit the bullet and got one, and man am I glad I did.
For a first pair of binos for rifle hunting in Colorado / Wyoming, what do you recommend? 8x vs 10x? Will 8x be enough if using with a spotter?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back