Caribou Gear Tarp

10 WY points - Unit 62, 64, 67 or 68?

Wallow

I had high hopes for a Utah tag but as usual got the bad news last week. I also had a glimmer of hope for a WY elk tag but got the same bad news there. I didn't want to apply for WY antelope if I drew another out-of-state tag but since I didn't, I am kicking around burning my 10 WY antelope points. I did some preliminary research a while back and the units that are contenders are 62, 64, 67 and 68. I am not opposed to other units but these ones seemed like good possibilities based on 10 points in hand.

Here is my situation:
I will be hunting alone and camping out of my truck - I have a topper and do this all the time.
I have killed two 80" antelope so I would like something 80" or better.
I own an ATV and will trailer it to WY if it helps but prefer not to bring it.
I'm an old guy but can still walk. I'm not opposed to a truck hunt and realize that may up the odds of seeing a good buck but also like to venture out on foot to get away from people.

Looking for thoughts / comments on the units above or others that would be a good use of 10 points. Thanks in advance for any help - much appreciated!

I would bet that you will be a target of the guys that want to share your points in exchange for their "expertise". I once posted that I was burning a pile of points for 62 and got PM's quickly, mostly saying that they would help (guide) if I did a group application with them. I did not take them up on the offer.

There certainly can be big boys in 62 in some years, but I did not think it was worth a big pile of points. I think the best hunting in 62 is on the large checkerboard section.

If you really want to go this year you might reconsider 62. You might not pull that tag with 10 points if the unit sees a bit a creep.

Look at whichever has the best odds for 10 points, look at whichever has public land and finally which has the most male/female ratio; that should give you a good answer.

I had a great hunt in 64 in 2017; hundreds of lopes every couple of hours, nobody else out there, felt like had the area to myself. Took my wife out on the trip and she loved it. Did end up cutting my hunt short and ended with a mid 70's buck, did see a couple 80's that i could not connect with them. If you choose 64, hit me up. I'll tell you what i learned. Need to have time and glass to look over hundreds of bucks, I only had 2 1/2 days, wish I had a week there.

Not familiar with the other units but I hunted 64. Exactly what Rodzilla said great hunt.

I hunted 64 3 years ago, Be sure to check the winter data from the past couple of years. It’s a high elevation unit for antelope and winter kill can be a factor. Our hunt was positive but I wasn’t impressed with the quality of the goats we saw. We shot a mid 70’s buck that was by far the best we had seen on the trip. It wasn’t a bad hunt, we had a great time, but I wouldn‘t wait a decade to go on it either. In my opinion its only marginally better than some units you can draw every year or two.

Just my .02

I applied for 68 with 9 points special draw. It took 8 last year and l am expecting more point creep than usual given the tag cuts. I'm hoping we draw.... we shall see on June 17th. Where did you apply?

I had high hopes for a Utah tag but as usual got the bad news last week. I also had a glimmer of hope for a WY elk tag but got the same bad news there. I didn't want to apply for WY antelope if I drew another out-of-state tag but since I didn't, I am kicking around burning my 10 WY antelope points. I did some preliminary research a while back and the units that are contenders are 62, 64, 67 and 68. I am not opposed to other units but these ones seemed like good possibilities based on 10 points in hand.

Here is my situation:
I will be hunting alone and camping out of my truck - I have a topper and do this all the time.
I'm an old guy but can still walk. I'm not opposed to a truck hunt and realize that may up the odds of seeing a good buck but also like to venture out on foot to get away from people.

Looking for thoughts / comments on the units above or others that would be a good use of 10 points. Thanks in advance for any help - much appreciated!

Curious what you went with. I am also older, hunting alone, struck out on my Out of state hunts and sitting on 10 points. Planning on hunting out of truck camp and didn’t want to tow my Jeep.
I accumulated these points as WY antelope has taken a back seat all these years to other hunts. I considered splitting them with my hunting partner but I couldn’t get him to apply at my urging all these years and don’t mind hunting alone. If I don’t draw I will consider that option next year.
I have 10 deer points as well and the same situation with my partner. Hope to burn those next year.
I went with regular draw in unit sixty 7. I figure 50/50 on draw.

Curious what you went with. I am also older, hunting alone, struck out on my Out of state hunts and sitting on 10 points. Planning on hunting out of truck camp and didn’t want to tow my Jeep.
I accumulated these points as WY antelope has taken a back seat all these years to other hunts. I considered splitting them with my hunting partner but I couldn’t get him to apply at my urging all these years and don’t mind hunting alone. If I don’t draw I will consider that option next year.
I have 10 deer points as well and the same situation with my partner. Hope to burn those next year.
I went with regular draw in unit sixty 7. I figure 50/50 on draw.
I didn't draw and didn't apply this year.

Here is my situation:

64 hand down!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back